• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks looking to trade

Vol4ever

• Premium Member
45 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

This front office hasn't really done much yet.  I'm not going to have low confidence based on rumors.  My feeling is we're in a bad situation, but it's not because of this front office group.  It's a situation that has been brewing.  Let's look at what Landry (or this new collective) has actually done since "taking over" if we can call it that.  My grades below:

• Bey for a bunch of seconds: felt like a great move last year, feels bad right now, but overall B+ from me
  • Brought in Garrison Matthews and Bruno for Kaminsky and Holiday, B-
  • Nate gone, Snyder hired, A from me
  • Extended Bogi on $17M/year, B-
  • Drafted Bufkin, Lundy, and got Mo/Miles, jury still out here
  • Offloaded Collins, B-, this was cleanup of Schlenks mistakes
  • Brought in Wes Matthews on a 1 year, C+
  • Extended OO on ~$16M/year, B

None of these moves are really needle movers or worthy of much judgement.  People are free to judge him for moves he didn't make, but I hesitate to do that myself -- at least not until he has a body of work to draw from.  I have no idea what player availability looks, what guys want to come play in ATL, etc.  Moving DJ will be the first major move made by this new regime and that's when I'll start to form an opinion on them.  Trading for DJ in the first place was on Schlenk's watch.  I'm not going to try to untangle the politics of the '22 summer and pass judgement one way or the other.

I respect your opinion.   It has been a mess for awhile.  My frustration is the depth of the hole we have to pull out of.  This is nothing easy or that can be fixed promptly.   

• Like 3

• Premium Member

Why not CC? When Harden was still a possibility to Houston until Ime said 'pass', CC was on their radar.

The Rockets want a center. They’re a team that’s called to discuss Daniel Gafford with the Wizards, sources say, and Kelly Olynyk is on their short list as well. There’s no indication they’ll look to make a major move with the starters despite a lot of awkward sideways glances in the direction of former 2nd overall pick Jalen Green. The team remains committed to helping Green find his role on a better team.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

• Premium Member

I don't think our FO is bad. Their problem is they have an owner that interferes and won't pay the LT. It just handcuffs them to a degree other teams don't have.

If @Mikey is correct and we can pivot in the offseason to acquire Zion then a Trae/Zion/JJ team would be fun to watch.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I don’t know about Zion.  I’m 50/50, leaning 40/60.  It would be fun to watch, can’t deny that.  But as much as we’ve dealt with Dre being injured, I’d hate to go through all this trade drama and end up right back where we started again.  Seems like too much of a risk/gamble at this time.  

Never know though I guess.  Maybe it would pan out.  Still makes me nervous.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, Wretch said:

Y'know....  There's a time and place for resetting.  Just like there's a time to push a young team to start winning.  In both cases, it's like we moved too soon.  I'll never abandon the Squawk though.  The reality is, this place will be far more interesting than anything they put on the court.  I'll just go 99% lurker mode.

Can’t go full lurker mode.  You are too thoughtful of a poster.  Just need to spend more time in the Lounge.  We need to strike up (or resurrect) some good threads there.

2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

But it's what we do here, what else are we supposed to do? Watch the games 🤓....and how do you know there actually isn't an asteroid heading for Earth? :er:(They just haven't told us yet :play_truck:)

image.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, givemesome1ce1 said:

We are gonna get grimes and two picks in the end of this, and we are all gonna be happy. Just watch yall.

Murray is worth 3 FRP and salary match due to the current market demand.. Quentin Grimes is worth 2 second rounders not a first

Edited by theheroatl

• Premium Member

Atlanta Hawks – In addition to discussing Dejounte Murray and Clint Capela in trade talks leading up to the deadline, the Hawks have also made Saddiq Bey available, sources said. The 24-year-old forward is in the final year of his rookie deal at $4.5 million, making him a possible major addition to a playoff-contending team before he hits free agency. The Hawks acquired Bey for multiple second-round picks at the deadline last year. Possibly flipping him for a first-round pick or better would be a major win for the Hawks' front office.

De'Andre Hunter is another interesting name who could be traded in a cost-saving move for Atlanta to acquire future assets. A two-way presence on the wing, Hunter is in the first year of his four-year, $90 million contract. The Cleveland Cavaliers, Dallas Mavericks, Indiana Pacers, and Memphis Grizzlies have a need for an athletic, versatile wing like Hunter. While not expected to make a big change to their roster given their injury situation, the Grizzlies have shown interest in the Hawks forward in the past, sources said.

• Like 4

After looking at some offers for Murray in a few trade threads.   Where as i don't want to move him if i had a choice.  The 2 1sts and a solid player is about right and similar value as to what we gave up for him to begin with. 

We gave up the Hornets 1st + Gallo    which if we can get a player back thats a 1st round pick in value or better.  I would consider the hornets pick + Gallo for the new 1st round player about a wash in value.  Even more so if he is younger and better than gallo was by a good bit.   Then that just leaves our 2 unprotected picks for the 2 picks we get back in a trade.  This one could hurt us if we still suck in 2025 and 2027.  But if we can get this turned around by those 2 years then those unprotected picks might not be even as good as the 2 picks we get back from the new team we trade with this time. 

At face value what we gave up is for sure more without the protections from us and stuff.   But a trade i seen a few ago on realgm  of Cam Johnson + 2024 or 2025 Hou/Nets 1st + 2027 philly 1st for Murray if we play well those 2 years might be similar value in the long run.

Edited by Threezus

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, Sothron said:

I don't think our FO is bad. Their problem is they have an owner that interferes and won't pay the LT. It just handcuffs them to a degree other teams don't have.

I'm not sure if the FO is bad or not... it's hard to gauge to any degree under those circumstances. And it's a little worse since, the reality is, Atlanta is not a small market team. It's not even solidly a mid-market team. The ATL MSA is 8th in the country, and along with DFW, HOU, and PHX is among those in the top 10 that appear to be still growing instead of losing population. It quite plausibly if not almost certainly going to be the #6 in the country shortly, surpassing PHI and WAS.

Simply put, Antony Peter Ressler won't be selling this golden goose egg machine anytime soon, it would seem. Why would he? Fans are content.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Atlanta Hawks – In addition to discussing Dejounte Murray and Clint Capela in trade talks leading up to the deadline, the Hawks have also made Saddiq Bey available, sources said. The 24-year-old forward is in the final year of his rookie deal at $4.5 million, making him a possible major addition to a playoff-contending team before he hits free agency. The Hawks acquired Bey for multiple second-round picks at the deadline last year. Possibly flipping him for a first-round pick or better would be a major win for the Hawks' front office.

De'Andre Hunter is another interesting name who could be traded in a cost-saving move for Atlanta to acquire future assets. A two-way presence on the wing, Hunter is in the first year of his four-year, $90 million contract. The Cleveland Cavaliers, Dallas Mavericks, Indiana Pacers, and Memphis Grizzlies have a need for an athletic, versatile wing like Hunter. While not expected to make a big change to their roster given their injury situation, the Grizzlies have shown interest in the Hawks forward in the past, sources said.

If we flip Bey for a first rounder, I take back everything bad I said about Lil Landry. 

• Haha 2

If we’re so desperate for first round picks, can we just package up Bey, Hunter and AJ? Between the three I feel like we can get 2 first round picks.

i just don’t understand why the FO feels Murray is the only way we get to that outcome. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

The Collins contract isnt on shlenk everyone went to win now when hawks made it to the ecf and clearly going win now was a huge mistake. Clearing collins wasnt fing shlenks mistake it was cap clearing under the luxury tax because resler is kind of a cheapskate and his nepotism killed any hope of this franchise doing anything in the mext 3 years.

• Like 1

I understand the 2nd apron of the luxury tax is basically hell for these owners but I can’t see minny just trading away KAT. 

they have a legit championship contending team in my opinion . I am sure if somehow they reach the finals or even win the whole thing they are going to find a way to keep that team together.

They been losing way too long to let players just start walking away. I’d love to get KAT but I would bet Zion is a more realistic trade option for us.

• Like 2