• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I've been watching the 2024 NBA Draft class and it's been... weaker than usual

NBASupes

12 hours ago, Diesel said:

My question is...  Is he a pro SG?  Doesn't feel athletic to me.  He's not  really a big wing...  but he's interesting. 

With our 2nd 1st, sure but our top 10 pick, naw

On 1/21/2024 at 1:30 AM, Sothron said:

I would kill to get Sheppard on this team. I also like @NBASupes prospect in the French kid. Cody Williams has promise. The Serbian PG that has wheels and is 6'6" also looks like a real stud in the making.

I don't think this draft is as weak as people are making it out to be. It does lack a definite sure fire number one to three pick but there is real NBA talent in this draft.

That Serbian looks a little slow to me.*
He’s big though.

* in my expert opinion of five minutes or less reviewing the player. 

• Premium Member

Kinda off topic here...

Can somebody tell me what happened to this guy?

I know where he is...  We could probably get him from BKLN very cheap...  But What happened?  I watched him duel Jason Tatum and he was dominant.   But what happened in College?  Where did this guy go??

• Premium Member
43 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Kinda off topic here...

Can somebody tell me what happened to this guy?

I know where he is...  We could probably get him from BKLN very cheap...  But What happened?  I watched him duel Jason Tatum and he was dominant.   But what happened in College?  Where did this guy go??

Multiple injuries. I think he had ACL surgeries on both knees before college.

• Sad 3

• Premium Member
52 minutes ago, hawkman said:

Multiple injuries. I think he had ACL surgeries on both knees before college.

I did more reading.   You're right.. multiple surgeries.   He may still be very serviceable though.  His feetwork is really good.. his shooting is  good.. even now.

If we were to move one of our bigs, I wouldn't be mad to see him brought in.

22 hours ago, h4wkfan said:

I would like to find a way to get Ryan Dunn (UVA) on this team next year. Thanks Landry.

Was playing with the bartovik site today - just to see some statistical comps for this guy, and thought I'd share (I get it ... it's numbers, and I can make them say whatever story I want them to. It's still impressive).

Over the last 15 years, 4 players have had a statistical profile with the following criteria ... Off Reb % > 10%, Def Reb % > 20%, Block % > 10%, Steal % > 2%, Assist > 5%, TS% > 60%, and was a Freshmen or Sophomore  ... Ryan Dunn, Walker Kessler, Anthony Davis and Joel Embiid. He's  a big wing putting up numbers some of the best defensive centers coming out over the last 15 years put up and scoring at a very efficient level (even with a poor 3P / FT %). Change that steal rate to > 3%? It's him on the list alone.

Needless to say I'm a huge fan.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Johnny Furphy. That's all I got to say. I think he's a real option for us

https://www.noceilingsnba.com/p/johnny-furphy-is-a-lottery-pick-hiding

Haven’t been following too close, but watched the 6’9 Freshman shine against the Bearcats early last week.  Kansas won by 5, 74-69.  Furphy went for 23.  7-8 FG, 3-4 3PT, 11 total REB (3 OFF, 8 DEF), 2 Steals.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Zac R. is the only player with a 20 or better grade right now. He can start right now for an NBA team and help them. 

Impact stats upside
Alexandre Sarr - 30 wins
Nikola Topić - 25 wins
Zaccharie Risacher - 45 wins
Ja'Kobe Walter - 30 wins
Reed Sheppard - 50 wins
Cody Williams - 45 wins
Ron Holland - 20 wins
Matas Buzelis - 20 wins
Stephon Castle - 20 wins
Rob Dillingham - 30 wins 
Kyle Filipowski - 20 wins
Tidjane Salaun - 15 wins, while I like this kid, my impact stats don't see a good ceiling for him. 
Isaiah Collier - 20 wins
Donovan Clingan - 25 wins
Yves Missi - 30 wins
Ryan Dunn - 30 wins
Kevin McCullar - 20 wins
Kel'el Ware - 25 wins
Dalton Knecht - 20 wins
DJ Wagner - 25 wins
Zach Edey - BOOM OR BUST - 10 wins to 45 wins
Jared McCain - 25 wins
Zvonimir Ivisic - 25 wins
Carlton Carrington - 20 wins
Wooga Poplar - 20 wins
Aaron Bradshaw - 25 wins
Hunter Sallis - 20 wins
Baba Miller - 20 wins
Terrence Shannon - 30 wins
Johnny Furphy - 30 wins
Adama Bal - 30 wins

Centers are always more favored in impact stats but in the NBA today, centers are less favored overall. 

Potential offensive stars

Ja'Kobe Walter - In the mold of Ray Allen, is extremely far from his upside. linear growth is key. 
Reed Sheppard - Steph Curry is his impact comp. Doesn't have Steph offensive upside but does have more defensive upside. 
Cody Williams - Two way potential stud. He needs at least 30 more pounds but with his frame, he should get there in time. 
Rob Dillingham - Earning comps to Trae Young. I think he maybe a better scorer than Trae and shooter at the same stage but Trae was a superior playmaker. His passing is good but he's not in the same convo with Trae as a passer. 
DJ Wagner - I've always been high on DJ as a 6th man stud with development
Zach Edey - Yao Ming is his offensive comp. Does he fit today's NBA? Probably not but should you try with someone with his offensive upside, yes. 
Adama Bal - Star potential offensively if he continues linear development

Potential defensive stars

Alexandre Sarr - His defensive upside was massively higher than his floor on this end. 
Zaccharie Risacher - One of the best perimeter defenders in this draft. 
Reed Sheppard - His defense should be solid day 1. Two-way upside
Cody Williams - Needs growth but the upside is exceptional on this end. 
Yves Missi - Other than as a lob threat, defense is going to be his calling card with continued growth. 
Ryan Dunn - His a top-end defensive player in the NBA right now. 
Johnny Furphy - Size will take time but he could be something defensively.

• Like 2

• Moderators
2 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Impact stats upside

How should we interpret these win totals?  For example, are these the win totals you would expect for a team where this player is the best player on the team?  The win totals if everyone in the starting lineup is as good as this player?  Etc.  Not sure what to take from them.

• Premium Member

More 6'-3" and 6'-6" guards that have defensive question marks????

10. Atlanta Hawks

Dalton Knecht | 6-6 wing | 23 years old | Tennessee

I’m not sure we’re recognizing the extent to which Knecht is obliterating the SEC. He’s scoring at a staggering pace for this level. In his 12 SEC games so far, Knecht is averaging 25 points while shooting 50.2 percent from the field and 42.1 percent from 3. He’s grabbing 5.3 rebounds and dishing out 2.3 assists. For the season, he’s averaging 20.1 points per game on 48 percent from the field, but those stats are dragged down by a stretch where he played at less than 100 percent following an ankle injury at North Carolina. If you remove those games, Knecht is averaging nearly 25 points, 5.4 rebounds and 2.1 assists, which would make him a clear All-American.

He should be, regardless. Everything he does offensively should translates to NBA settings. He is a terrific shooter but is also a high-end athlete who can sky in transition and finish inside using legitimate hang time in the air.

The issues come on defense. Knecht is rough around the edges on that end and consistently makes errors that lead to problems for Tennessee. But I tend to buy into these late bloomers, especially those who can really shoot and possess legitimate NBA athleticism. Knecht’s range is somewhere No. 10-20 for scouts right now.

19. Atlanta Hawks (via SAC)

Jared McCain | 6-3 guard | 20 years old | Duke

McCain was seen as a potential one-and-done entering the season, but a slow start gave pause for evaluators as they waited to see exactly where he’d settle in. The good news? McCain has settled in nicely as one of the best freshman scorers in all of college basketball. Since Duke’s Dec. 9 game against Charlotte, McCain is averaging 16.6 points and 5.1 rebounds over his last 17. He’s hitting 41.3 percent of his more than six 3-point attempts per game and is also consistently getting into the lane either in transition or off closeouts. Scouts very strongly believe McCain will end up as a high-level shooter even by NBA standards, and the name Seth Curry comes up in a reasonable amount within conversations. The key will be continuing to impact the game in other ways beyond just the offense. He rebounds well for a small guard and generally makes good decisions. But there isn’t much margin for error for him in either of those capacities given that he’s 6-3 and doesn’t have a ton of length.

https://theathletic.com/5268787/2024/02/20/nba-mock-draft-updates-rankings-teams/

• Confused 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, KB21 said:

The combo of his athleticism and his three-point shooting.  I also like the improvement arc that he is showing.  There is plenty of upside there.  

What's his defense like?

2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

What's his defense like?

He has flashed very good on the ball defense as well as off ball defense.  Like most 19 year olds, there are some inconsistent traits.  However, this is one of the areas where he is showing great improvement as he gains experience.  This is a 6'9" guy who is hitting close to 43% of his three point shots on around 10.9 attempts per 100 possessions.  

I was big on Gradey d*ck last year.  He's the guy I was hoping would fall to Atlanta, and he was picked one pick before the Hawks drafted.  I think Furphy is a better prospect than d*ck.  

• Thanks 1

That Ivisic kid on Kentucky is intriguing.....

Hawks may need to go all Wildcats this draft.. 

Reed Shephard and Ivisic ......

Dillingham and Bradshaw

Whichever.. lol

Edited by terrell
  • Like 1