Its either a 3 or a floater.. Or a drive in the lane to get blocked.. smh

Easy to defend when his shot is off

Trae under Quin this season

image.png.14c4ecfb3362b6eaa36c510527cff051.png

Trae under Nate/Quin ( 22 - 23 )

image.png.cbad2372962ebe37dba99515f8d2f540.png

Trae under Nate ( 21 - 22 )

image.png.0a366c40b450ef7e8eabf4748eb968be.png

It's the scheme.  Quin wants the team firing away from 3.  If you shoot close to league average from 3, analytically it's better to keep firing away from there, than to take a bunch of 2s.

The NBA is played from an analytical standpoint, until the final 3 minutes of a game.  For the first 45 minutes, it's 3s and layups with limited midrange jumpers.  In the last 3 minutes, it's get a bucket wherever you can.

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Trae under Quin this season

image.png.14c4ecfb3362b6eaa36c510527cff051.png

Trae under Nate/Quin ( 22 - 23 )

image.png.cbad2372962ebe37dba99515f8d2f540.png

Trae under Nate ( 21 - 22 )

image.png.0a366c40b450ef7e8eabf4748eb968be.png

It's the scheme.  Quin wants the team firing away from 3.  If you shoot close to league average from 3, analytically it's better to keep firing away from there, than to take a bunch of 2s.

The NBA is played from an analytical standpoint, until the final 3 minutes of a game.  For the first 45 minutes, it's 3s and layups with limited midrange jumpers.  In the last 3 minutes, it's get a bucket wherever you can.

What this chart doesn't show is how automatic that floater was a couple years ago.  Now I just hope it gets a good bounce on the rim.  I don't know how happened to the floater but it's killing his game when he's not connecting.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• Moderators
46 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

What this chart doesn't show is how automatic that floater was a couple years ago.  Now I just hope it gets a good bounce on the rim.  I don't know how happened to the floater but it's killing his game when he's not connecting.

That floater definitely needs a comeback.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

You got guys that are automatic from midrange.  You build momentum with scores.   Quin's system is wrong here.  You get DJ downhill and let him create.  You let Trae maintain a PNR set.    You use pindowns and screens and walls.   We do nothing but go to the three point line and shoot.  It doesn't work.. we're not a team full of 40%ers. 

1 hour ago, AHF said:

That floater definitely needs a comeback.

The floater goes with the PNR game. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kg01 said:

Hillbilly, are we finally in agreement that Trae is the best defender on the team right now?

It's not a good thing but folks can't blame him for this defensive debacle anymore. 

People will still blame Trae. Thats the default response to everything.

Trae should've picked up Luka full court for all 4 quarters.

2 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

People will still blame Trae. Thats the default response to everything.

Trae should've picked up Luka full court for all 4 quarters.

I would never blame Trae for anything knowing what he is and isn’t capable of, as the head-to-head record versus his contemporaries gets even worse.  

I highlighted years ago how guys like Smart, Brogdon, and Lowry dominated matchups against him per +/- and wins because they can be an extension of good coaching on the floor or even a combatant to questionable coaching.  Trae simply wasn’t built to provide the integral intangibles you need from a lead guy to straighten sh*t out when it goes left.  I go in expecting nothing when he faces dudes like Brunson, Luka, Hali, and SGA for at least another 5 years as their teams attract FAs and draft better.

Fun fact, he and your boy Bruno virtually have the same true shooting added 🤦‍♂️

Yall gotta admit, Nate for all his warts has been the best motivator and deployer of Trae in his career for that initial 40 game stretch and into the postseason.  And he ran the guy off smh.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Chrimturn said:

Through all the injuries this year and the team chemistry becoming more cancerous by the game, they are really only 2 players away from having different outcomes in these close games.  1 big who can consistently catch and score…and 1 lock down defender.

Sure, there are other areas of weakness but those are two facets that contribute to The Achilles Heel almost every game.

One lock down defender?  We need more than that.

40 minutes ago, Watchman said:

One lock down defender?  We need more than that.

Undoubtedly, yes.  I think we can all agree.  This team needs more than that to be a championship contender.  But…

The comment says close games.  Hawks have played in 27 clutch games.  Record is 11-16.  Make a couple more free throws, catch a pass and don’t miss a layup, keep 1 guy from scoring at least 6 of his points and they could very easily have been different outcomes.  Not saying they would have won them all, but maybe enough to be just over .500 or more.  Win just 5 of those games to be 16-11 instead of 11-16.  That would put their overall record at 23-22.  Tied for 8 with Orlando.  2.5 back from Indy at the 6.

Looking at all games now, they’ve lost 18 of them by 10 points or less.  Out of those 18, they’ve lost 9 games by 6 points or less.  Do I think “1 big who can consistently catch and score and 1 lock down defender” would have helped them win 5 of those games.  Yes I do.