• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Rockets at Hawks

lethalweapon3

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, NBASupes said:

AJ been dealing with mental health.

Just happened to see this...

Is this "insider" intel or is it being reported publicly?

Strange to read. As far as I ever saw the kid talk last season, he seemed to be anything but experiencing mental health issues... but even as I say that, I know from personal experience that sometimes life's journey takes some really contorted turns, difficult for any of us to negotiate even coming from the most stable history.

============

Edit... okay... is this the source of that?

https://www.christianpost.com/news/atlanta-hawks-adrian-griffin-jr-testifies-prays-at-church.html

Reasonable to speculate, I suppose.

But me, I'm resistant to take this to mean there's some clinical mental health diagnosis involved. Think most of us would acknowledge bouts with depression... fear... anxiety... addictions of various kinds to get a dopamine hit... in life. And most of us I'd imagine have dealt with unanticipated deaths of family or friends.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Yes it's more grey. But missing nearly an entire season due to mental health issues is unusual and concerning. Wouldnt that be a fair statement? I work in this field, and if someone came to me and told me they missed months of work, I would say it might be time to consider some treatment options. No I'm not claiming to have access to his full psychiatric evaluation, I'm just speaking generally.

Yeah I think it's fair to say it's time to pursue treatment options.  Perhaps it's just the unfair stigma that goes along with saying a person should 'go on meds' that caught my attention.

Your initial statement felt a little stronger than what you just posted.  I dunno. 

• Thanks 2

54 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Yeah I think it's fair to say it's time to pursue treatment options.  Perhaps it's just the unfair stigma that goes along with saying a person should 'go on meds' that caught my attention.

Your initial statement felt a little stronger than what you just posted.  I dunno. 

I guess "treatment options" sounds better than "meds." But really there should be no shame in taking psychiatric medication. It saves lives. I'm sure the team has a top notch psychiatrist and therapist working with him. If he misses more significant time next year for the same reason his career might be in jeopardy. There are only so many roster spots and teams will accommodate only so much. Hopefully he's aware of what's at stake and can recover from his personal struggles. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

I guess "treatment options" sounds better than "meds." But really there should be no shame in taking psychiatric medication. It saves lives. I'm sure the team has a top notch psychiatrist and therapist working with him. If he misses more significant time next year for the same reason his career might be in jeopardy. There are only so many roster spots and teams will accommodate only so much. Hopefully he's aware of what's at stake and can recover from his personal struggles. 

Yeah I remember the mavs just lost a guy to it.  Iirc, he was in his 2nd year and retired due to mental stress.  We joke about it but it can be debilitating.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, NBASupes said:

AJ been dealing with mental health. He's gonna be in College Park after the break

I hope you're not just speaking off the cuff.  These are loaded words.   It's one thing to be grieving.  It's totally different to be dealing with mental health.  Grief can lead to depression but mental health suggests a steady state of  mental irregularity that requires work from a health professional.  It's more than just he is feeling sad or he is a little depressed when you make that sort of statement. 

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, kg01 said:

Yeah I remember the mavs just lost a guy to it.  Iirc, he was in his 2nd year and retired due to mental stress.  We joke about it but it can be debilitating.  

I think Kevin Love has dealt with it and worked hard to improve the NBA's response. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, bleachkit said:

Mental health is no joke and cognitive behavioral therapy (among other therapy modalities) along with medication can be instrumental in helping people recover.  In the COVID and post-COVID world mental health issues have skyrocketed.  I hope he can get back on track and will accept help (if he hasn’t already).

This is a good discussion here from everyone.  Well thought out and respectful.  Kudos Hawksquawkers.

• Like 1