• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Woody = Undeserved firing!

Diesel

• Premium Member

I dunno what is the point of arguing. No matter if you think he is a bad coach or a good coach it is clear as day he wasnt getting it done here and he had lost the team so he had to go. Simple as that.

Well, the statement he wasn't getting it done here has to be examined more closely. He has taken a less cohesive bunch in NY and made them cohesive. SO the question is.. do we just have a systemic problem in Atlanta? I mean, we matured, loaded up on the talent after he left (Crawford) and we still didn't get any farther. I've never seen Phil Jackson take a bad team. I've seen Byron Scott, Paul Westphaul, and Avery Johnson look like Championship and Crap. Sometimes, it's the players.

Well, the statement he wasn't getting it done here has to be examined more closely.

ATL vs ORL 2010 Point Differental

Game 1 - 71-114 -40

Game 2 - 98- 112 -14

Game 3 - 75-105 -30

Game 4 - 84-98 -14

ATL vs CLE 2009

Game 1 - 72 - 99 -17

Game 2 - 85- 105 -20

Game 3 - 82 - 97 -15

Game 4 - 74 - 84 -10

• Moderators

Two teams that Hawk fans want to fail . . . NY Knicks and Brooklyn Nets . . . for obvious reasons.May as well add the Utah Jazz to that list. Who knows what will happen around here, if Marvin looks like a legit bench contributor during the playoffs.

Nah, the only two teams I want to fail is Miami and LAL. I don't hate any of our ex-Hawks... Heck I was rooting Marv on vs. the Grizz and Joe on today vs. the Bulls, but, once again Marv let me down and Joe proved my biggest point about him... I was also rooting on Woody although I want the Celtics to win that series so the possibility of a Hawks/Celtics rematch goes up. FWIW, I was a Woody supporter and hated seeing him get fired.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Melo has had many critiques about defense and being a selfish player.

Under Woody, he has played defense and been a little less selfish.

Just 1 year ago... Here's the criticism of Anthony... From ESPN writer...

Well one writer doesn't mean the entire NBA didn't want Melo. Have a hard time believing that. That suggestion is just hearsay.

I don't believe Woodson is a good head coach. He is a good defensive assistant. Last night prime example Anthony scores 36 of the 85 points. Knicks played good D in the second half, but the Celtics went ice cold missing numerous wide open 3's and other open j's. That has nothing to do with Woodson's coaching.

Look he wasn't getting it done in Atlanta and we are better off that he is gone. Good luck to him in NY. In my opinion he isn't a good coach. Average at best, but a better assistant.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Like several people have said, ISO Melo > ISO Joe. And Tyson Chandler > any post defender we've ever had. That's the only "difference" between Woody then and Woody now. His "dominate defensively and let the offense take care of itself" style a perfect fit for New York. And even there, I don't see how his team makes real noise in the playoffs as long as he has no offensive Plan B besides one-on-one play.

Nah, the only two teams I want to fail is Miami and LAL. I don't hate any of our ex-Hawks... Heck I was rooting Marv on vs. the Grizz and Joe on today vs. the Bulls, but, once again Marv let me down and Joe proved my biggest point about him... I was also rooting on Woody although I want the Celtics to win that series so the possibility of a Hawks/Celtics rematch goes up. FWIW, I was a Woody supporter and hated seeing him get fired.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What point did JJ prove to you on Saturday? That he can be an efficient scorer if others around him also stepped up?

JJ was 7 - 13 FG for 16 pts - 4 rebs - 4 asst . . . in about 28 minutes of play vs the Bulls. He deferred to Lopez and Williams in the 1st half, and also got in a little foul trouble. In the 2nd half, he turned it up and scored 12 points, which led all Nets in that half.

Well, the statement he wasn't getting it done here has to be examined more closely. He has taken a less cohesive bunch in NY and made them cohesive. SO the question is.. do we just have a systemic problem in Atlanta? I mean, we matured, loaded up on the talent after he left (Crawford) and we still didn't get any farther. I've never seen Phil Jackson take a bad team. I've seen Byron Scott, Paul Westphaul, and Avery Johnson look like Championship and Crap. Sometimes, it's the players.

NY without Felton, Kidd, and JR Smith was not only not cohesive but a hell of a lot less talented. I like what Woody is doing in NY but ignoring the talent they brought in to go along with Melo and Chandler should not be ignored. Everyone bashed them for letting Lin walk. As it turned out, they had a monster off season.

We never had a Chandler or a Melo while Woody was here. Talent wins championships, great coaches manage the talents ego's. Woody is not there yet, but he has a hell of a lot better team talent wise in NY than he ever did here. A DPOY and a scoring champion. That is a tough combo to beat.

Edited by Buzzard

• Premium Member

Woody is a mediocre coach. You give LD Melo, Tyson Chandler, and a 6th Man of the Year and it would not be much of a gamble to say LD would be doing the same.My issue has always been it was dumb to fire (or not bring back) Woody if all you were going to do was hire LD.

• Premium Member

If we had a combined Larry Woodson we might be okay. But Mike Woodson and Larry Drew alone are only good at certain things.Woody has 'Melo. That is why his team is better.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Had to do it lol.He isn't a good coach. Woodson is a good coach ONLY IF Melo and JR are at the top of their offensive game. I'll take Drew over him 24/7, sadly enough.Hopefully we get SVG...