• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Cavaliers

lethalweapon3

Hawks are laughable vs the Cavs. The Cavs can beat the Hawks in their sleep. Does it really matter who the Hawks play in the playoffs since you must get through the Cavs to have a successful season. When will management realize the Hawks can't go any further with the team they have? I really feel Hawks ownership doesn't care. Just make the playoffs is enough for success. Fans want to go further and win it all. It's just fools gold thinking the hawks will some pull a rabbit out of their hats the way team is assembled.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Hinrich is horrible and would not change the fact that the bench starts looking really bad if Scott is reluctant to put shots up and Hardaway Jr is off with his shot (and while he shot 50% in this specific game, his three was off). If this bench gets nothing from the point guard offensively, even if they're looking for their shot, they get nothing from the bench offensively.

And it looks like the bench is in full on #2015playoffsmode.

Go back and take a look at the shots those guys got. They are a lot of transition shots they are getting up or rushed shots when the offense is not developing. You can't even honestly judge the rest of the 2nd unit, because Schröder doesn't let the offense develop nearly as much as Teague does. He doesn't facilitate at all. And it's not a new thing. It hasn't changed, which tells me it can't bother Bud that much. So it's on him. If you're of the opinion that Hinrich isn't even good enough to facilitate the offense, then it's still on him because he shipped Mack out of here. And this is coming from someone who thought trading Teague and handing the keys to Schröder wouldn't be a bad idea. Hard to still feel that way based on his  recent play.

Edited by BackForThe2ndTime
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, BackForThe2ndTime said:

They are a lot of transition shots they are getting up or rushed shots when the offense is not developing.

Well, the half court offense is usually terrible even with Teague in. If you force this team into a half court game, they have to rely on their defense or they're going to lose. This is basically the veteran version of the Celtics right now.

And the only way they become more than the veteran version of the Celtics is to get a talented, young wing player.

• Moderators

The Dirty South Division title is relevant only in the sense of final seeding, but the heat now control their own destiny for the banner (and the 3-seed), if they can pull it together on the road at Detroit and Boston on back-to-back nights.

On the second night of back-to-backs miami is 8-8, but have dropped their last four such games, all on the road (@ Toronto, @ San Antonio, @ Portland, @ Orlando). On first-nights, they're 12-4 and winners of five straight.

If the heat stumble at either locale, Atlanta can, by beating the Wizards (knock on wood) win back-to-back NBA Division titles for the first time since the St. Louis Hawks were the toast of the Western "Division" for five consecutive years (1957 to 1961).

~lw3 

• Like 2

And I guess you negative nellies are going by the idea that the only good teams in the NBA PERIOD are the top 5 teams in the NBA, and otherwise it's just a sea of okay teams that really are just playing for nothing, they're just playing for pride. I mean go ahead, do that, but please don't take over the game thread about it. We can discuss ways to improve in other threads, even my thread labeled as "spinoff thread".

There's really only one team that's going to win the finals, maybe two and it's just a formality that they'll have to play the games. Just r.e.l.a.x and enjoy the games.

Edited by Lurker
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Well, the half court offense is usually terrible even with Teague in.

Lately the offense runs better with Teague in there than Schröder.  Period.  And it's not only because of what they provide with scoring.  Teague knows how to be less dominant and let the offense develop.  Even when he does dominate the ball,  he's been more efficient than Schröder and taken better care of the ball. 

Jeff, Baze, and Al played well. And those are pretty much the only positives

Sap was throwing up some weak stuff out there. He missed so many shots right at the rim that it was ridiculous

Korver played a bunch of minutes and did absolutely nothing. He would have been better off showering at halftime and putting on a suit

I don't know whats going on with Dennis but its getting hard to watch. Bad shots, bad defense, bad turnovers, and the offense just stalls when he is in. We need him to get it together  A.S.A.P.  He was bad in the playoffs last year and looks to be headed in the same direction.

I thought Tim should have played a lot more when you consider just how much of a non factor Kyle was

This game, just like the last is frustrating because it looks like they can beat the Cavs but they just cant get out of their own way

Silly turnovers

Missed free throws

Trying to force feed a guy who is having a off night. Tonight it was Sap, the last match up it was Al

Missing shots right at the rim. Going up soft instead of going up with some authority

And the bench just not showing up at all.

The Hawks have got to get it right in the draft this summer. We need some young cheap good talent.  Having  guys like Hood and Gobert would look amazing right now instead of blowing picks on Bebe and Payne.  They have to take the draft serious this summer. Missing constantly comes back to bite you in the butt.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lethalweapon3 said:

The Dirty South Division title is relevant only in the sense of final seeding, but the heat now control their own destiny for the banner (and the 3-seed), if they can pull it together on the road at Detroit and Boston on back-to-back nights.

On the second night of back-to-backs miami is 8-8, but have dropped their last four such games, all on the road (@ Toronto, @ San Antonio, @ Portland, @ Orlando). On first-nights, they're 12-4 and winners of five straight.

If the heat stumble at either locale, Atlanta can, by beating the Wizards (knock on wood) win back-to-back NBA Division titles for the first time since the St. Louis Hawks were the toast of the Western "Division" for five consecutive years (1957 to 1961).

~lw3 

I'm thinking Miami will drop 1/2 either to Detroit or Boston and we will beat Washington. My prediction is:

3. Atlanta

4. Miami

5. Boston

6. Charlotte

or

3. Atlanta

4. Boston

5. Miami

6. Charlotte 

1 hour ago, BackForThe2ndTime said:

Lately the offense runs better with Teague in there than Schröder.  Period.  And it's not only because of what they provide with scoring.  Teague knows how to be less dominant and let the offense develop.  Even when he does dominate the ball,  he's been more efficient than Schröder and taken better care of the ball. 

It wouldn't surprise me if Teague is the starting PG in ATL for the next 5 years. 

4 hours ago, thescout5 said:

Hawks are laughable vs the Cavs. The Cavs can beat the Hawks in their sleep. Does it really matter who the Hawks play in the playoffs since you must get through the Cavs to have a successful season. When will management realize the Hawks can't go any further with the team they have? I really feel Hawks ownership doesn't care. Just make the playoffs is enough for success. Fans want to go further and win it all. It's just fools gold thinking the hawks will some pull a rabbit out of their hats the way team is assembled.

Yep. Cleveland can beat the Hawks easily and almost everyone knows it. There are only three teams really fighting for the championship.

• Moderators

(paraphrasing) "...and, without Thabo, the Hawks went on to get swept by LeBron James and the Cleveland Cavaliers in the playoffs."

since that utterance, Thabo's +/- is -56 through 30 combined minutes in two games; -33 (April 1) and -23 (April 12) against Cleveland.

Dagnabbit, Comedy Central!

His D-Ratings in those games aren't so shabby (105, 106), especially considering what he's assigned to do. But his virtual irrelevance on the other end (O-Ratings of 61, 51; 4 combined shots and 2 assists, despite a career-best 51.4 season FG%) have been deleterious against the Cavs this month.

~lw3

2 minutes ago, lethalweapon3 said:

(paraphrasing) "...and, without Thabo, the Hawks went on to get swept by LeBron James and the Cleveland Cavaliers in the playoffs."

since that utterance, Thabo's +/- is -56 through 30 combined minutes in two games; -33 (April 1) and -23 (April 12) against Cleveland.

Dagnabbit, Comedy Central!

His D-Ratings in those games aren't so shabby (105, 106), especially considering what he's assigned to do. But his virtual irrelevance on the other end (O-Ratings of 61, 51; 4 combined shots and 2 assists, despite a career-best 51.4 season FG%) have been deleterious against the Cavs this month.

~lw3

He's too small v. LeBron and offers nothing offensively either. He's a backup for a reason. V. Cleveland, we need Carroll

9 hours ago, thescout5 said:

I BEEN saying this.  Some people dont wanna hear it, but it is what it is.  As long as the Hawks make the playoffs and sell season tickets,  fix up Phillips arena, etc.  they good to go................This is the type of owner that values championships along WITH his money. Give him the Hawks roster and a championship would be in Atlanta.  Ressler and Hill are Atlanta Spirit LITE.  They could care less about a championship, its the bottom line to them:

cuban_cigar.jpg

Z

mark-cuban-trophy-chillin.jpg

Edited by Hawkmoor

Hawks announcer, Bob R. said, "With officiating like this, how does Cleveland ever lose a game."

The Cavs are sneaky dirty.  Watch the replays.  Time after time, they do things that, if called, would

result in a foul call.  Bob contended that one of their players set an illegal screen almost every time

down the court.  He was finally called for it late in the game.

Regardless of the officiating, which cost Millsap a tec. foul when he was manhandled again with no call,

Cleveland is the better team.  They made shot after shot.  Atlanta missed shot after shot.  This is a sure

formula for disaster for Atlanta.  We saw it in four games in last season's playoffs and again last night.

We, the Hawks, are very good.  The Cavs, with their officiating, are great.

• Moderators

Is Cuban really having more success since that title than the Hawks?    That should show you how hard it is to be a contender.  If Cuban is the gold standard of owners then why can't he get better players?   The Hawks being what they are isn't necessarily a reflection on the owners.  Especially owners who've been in place less than a year.  

• Like 1

• Moderators

Bird's-Eye View part 4, much abbreviated:

It's either 3rd or 4th seed for the Hawks. Playoff Status (.com) suggests there's some 14% chance of 5th, but I'm certain that (im)probability's just assuming Boston and Miami never get to play each other for some reason, or somehow end in a tie.

HORNETS

• Last game: vs. Orlando on Wednesday.
  • Lose out on two-way tiebreakers versus Boston (tied), miami (0.5 GB), and Atlanta (1.0 GB).
  • Can only gain the 4th-seed if they win, and both the Celtics and heat lose out.
  • Lowest TO Ratio in NBA (12 per 100 possessions) since All-Star Break.
  • Nic Batum sprained an ankle in last night's win at Boston, still expected to be okay for playoffs. Not probable to play on Wednesday.

CELTICS

• Last game: vs. miami on Wednesday.
  • Wins two-way tiebreakers versus Charlotte (tied) and miami (0.5 GB), but loses against Atlanta (1.0 GB).
  • Would win three-way tiebreaker versus Charlotte and miami (if Hawks win SE Division), due to head-to-head record against those two teams (BOS 4-1, CHA 3-4, mia 2-4).
  • Last night's loss ensures they cannot gain the 3rd seed, which now goes to the SE Division winner.
  • Win would ensure they finish no worse than 5th.
  • Gave up 114 points vs. Charlotte in regulation, after allowing 118 points at Atlanta. 103.9 D-Rating since All-Star-Break worst among ATL/CHA/mia/BOS.
  • Added former Boston U. star guard John Holland to fill out roster.

heat

• Last games: at Detroit today, at Boston on Wednesday; Pistons likely still playing for 7th seed, although they're 2-1 vs. CLE with a game left and 1-2 vs. TOR this season.
  • Secures SE Division (and 3rd seed) with two wins, or one win and Hawks loss.
  • Wins two-way tiebreakers versus Atlanta (0.5 GB) and Charlotte (0.5 GA), but loses against Boston (0.5 GA).
  • Would finish with 6th-seed in event of three-way BOS/CHI/mia tiebreaker (if Hawks win SE Division) (see Celtics above).
  • In event of four-way tiebreaker (ATL/BOS/CHI/mia), would win 3rd seed by virtue of SE Division title over Atlanta; remaining teams would shake out due to head-to-heads among them (ATL 6-2, BOS 3-4, CHA 2-5)
  • Lost last four games on second nights of back-to-backs (8-8 on the season), all of those four games on the road.
  • 2nd-best O-Rating in NBA, 111.6 (behind GSW's 111.7), since March 1. NBA-high 117.2 at home, drops to 105.8 on road.
  • Net Rating on-road: -2.0 (14th in NBA, worst among East's Top 7). Post-All-Star-Break O-Rating on road worst among East's Top 6.
  • Justise Winslow (ankle sprain) questionable for today; Tyler Johnson unlikely for playoffs; Briante Weber and Dorell Wright now on roster.

~lw3

• Like 2

everyone of these teams games matter and itll all be done in the next few days no point in hyper  analyzing all this,  I beleive Baze tweaked his knee again, and was nothing in second half,  and the cavs were hitting everything they normally miss, not sure how hard we were playing either - it was a strange game, because what usually beats us wasnt a problem.   

I just hope second round exit doesnt happen and we can show we are just a player away, and somehow we can get that player in the offseason.  

I think I knew it would be a shit game when a Kevin Love outlet pass hit leeebruhn in the head and they reviewed Paul for a flagrant. That was, well that was unbelievable.

3 minutes ago, hawksfanatic said:

I think I knew it would be a shit game when a Kevin Love outlet pass hit leeebruhn in the head and they reviewed Paul for a flagrant. That was, well that was unbelievable.

Paul is clearly a mutant and used his telepathy to change the path of the ball.  If you review the video you'll see it went back ... and to the left, back ... and to the left.  That's right I said baack ... and to the left.

Totally understandable review.