Should Hawks Trade Milsap

wolvetigers

• Admin
13 minutes ago, wolvetigers said:

And what future is that exactly?  The same one that has us losing in the 2nd round every year? 

Keeping Milsap is the safe play.

".. you can't lose what you don't put in the middle. But you can't win much either. ". Mike McDermott (Rounders)

You basically said we trade away all of our tradable assets to have Westbrook for a season and it doesn't matter if he leaves ... Makes no sense .... I would rather have dennis and the draft pick and if we lose Paul we still have that ... Brooklyn followed your philosophy of trading away all assets for 'short term' gain and they will paying the price and will pay the price for many many years to come

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, wolvetigers said:

Yes but we fiscally can't sign Milsap....why not take a risk on Westbrook, if he leaves then he leaves,...plus I think that team could really challenge for the East this season!

I already detailed in another thread our cap situation for next season. See Here. Short answer is we have plenty for Millsap and more next season. You can make sense of it here.

Trading Dennis for Westbrook is ridiculously stupid as we control Dennis for 2 more years at an average of $4million/season.  Next year the Hawks have over $21 million in expiring free agents, with a bump to the cap of $14 million. If Sap opts out, that's another $20 million. Then count the small normal bumps in salary for the remaining players (and the current 3 million in cap space we have) and it works out to about $55 million to spend on free agents.  Paul could get up to $35 million next year but won't command that due to age. He will get a 4 year deal for about $100 million assuming he stays healthy and produces this season. That would leave the Hawks in excess of $30 million to flesh out their roster. If you add in the rookie contracts from this year + next year's 1st round pick...we only have about $46 million in contracts next season (not including Paul) with a cap of $108 million (ish).

• Like 2

• Premium Member

No, you keep Millsap  and D12  together. It's better that you keep him, cause the Hawks won't get equal value in return. Plus Millsap 's game is an age less one.  

If the D12/Sap/Dennis arrangement goes well and Hawks make it back to ECFs, Sap will resign to 4 years $120 million and he deserves it.

Edited by hazer
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, hazer said:

If the D12/Sap/Dennis arrangement goes well and Hawks make it back to ECFs, Sap will resign to 4 years $120 million and he deserves it.

I agree with this. And it would be structured as a descending contract, like all the other contracts we have given out to players over 30 yo since Ferry got here. You can't leave out Baze in that group either. He's obviously a big part of our team going forward.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

This question has been plaguing me for awhile now. Millsap is due a supermax deal at the end of this season. Do we really want to give a 32 year old big man a supermax 4 year deal?

I've said it before but I think if we traded Millsap for Kevin Love we would remain competitive, have a great big man to play off Dwight and Kevin is way cheaper and signed for years to come. Did I mention he's also 3 or 4 years younger than Millsap?

• Like 4

8 hours ago, wolvetigers said:

You wouldn't take that risk to have arguably a top 5 player on our team? Even if it's for one full season...

When is the last time the Hawks had a superstar? Here is a plan, let's wait and hope we get lucky in the draft.....I see why we never win anything in any sport

Do you wanna know a secret? Only TWO teams among 30 make the finals.

Are all other teams supposed to destroy their entire roster every single year?

We have good assets, stop being scared of competition.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, wolvetigers said:

If Bud thinks we can make an ECF run as constructed then I'm with you. I actually do like our team, but hate to see us regress next year when SAP walks

Look.  IF Sap walks we'll have about 40 Million in Cap Room.   We can go after somebody else.  Especially if we make a good showing this year.  Too many people worried about what will happen instead of what we can do.   IN basketball, you get short windows.  Nothing promised in those short windows. So when you get the opportunity, you have to make the most of it.   We may only have 1 year with a motivated Howard and a Allstar level Sap.  Instead of thinking about how we can destruct this team so that we can construct a young team that won't win nothing, we should be about taking our shot. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, hazer said:

By Midyear I would see where Sap is... IF he's allstar Sap and we're winning, I'm trying to sign him to an extension.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, Sothron said:

This question has been plaguing me for awhile now. Millsap is due a supermax deal at the end of this season. Do we really want to give a 32 year old big man a supermax 4 year deal?

I've said it before but I think if we traded Millsap for Kevin Love we would remain competitive, have a great big man to play off Dwight and Kevin is way cheaper and signed for years to come. Did I mention he's also 3 or 4 years younger than Millsap?

This I agree with.  

First though, let me say that we need to ride this thing out with Millsap.  We need to put "future" talk on the shelf.  Future is here.  By the way, for any new folks that come in or for those with short memories - please don't put me any any "camp."  Especially not a "win now" camp.  My position on the team changes as our players prove or disprove themselves, as seasons play out, and as our management makes moves.  That being said, the combination of Millsap and Howard is a core that is built for today.  We worry about tomorrow when tomorrow gets here.  BUT...if we can move Sap for something of significant value that stretches beyond this season, then count me in.  That's a done deal as far as I'm concerned.

As for Russel...

I like Westbrook, I think Atlanta needs a personality and presence like that, and I have zero doubts we could put a package together to get him.  Problem is, he's not coming here to "build culture" or "play the right way" or "prove himself" or ''draw free agents."  All that sort of talk we can bag up and set it on the side of the road.  That dude is leaving OKC and he will pick a team that will put him in the Finals.  If there is a better situation for him than Atlanta, and there will be, then that is where he will be playing after this season.  End of discussion.

• Like 2

I say no. Millsap and Dwight could be every bit as imposing as Deandre and Blake. By the all star break, trade deadline, things should be crystal clear. I honestly think Millsap matches up alongside Dwight better than any power forward Dwight has played with his whole career. And Sap has the best Center, hands down, he has ever played with.

We have been asking for a Batman and Robin for years here. Now we have one people!

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 4

32 minutes ago, Wretch said:

As for Russel...

I like Westbrook, I think Atlanta needs a personality and presence like that, and I have zero doubts we could put a package together to get him.  Problem is, he's not coming here to "build culture" or "play the right way" or "prove himself" or ''draw free agents."  All that sort of talk we can bag up and set it on the side of the road.  That dude is leaving OKC and he will pick a team that will put him in the Finals.  If there is a better situation for him than Atlanta, and there will be, then that is where he will be playing after this season.  End of discussion.

I agree. Moving Sap and pieces to get Westbrook only puts us in a position to lose Westbrook when we fail to win it all. If Westbrook comes here, it will be next season, to team up with Dwight, SAP, and company to win a championship.

• Like 2

I wouldn't trade Millsap for many of the reasons posted already.  What we havent mentioned is that there is going to be a reworking of the CBA after this season.  I would not be surprised to see provisions put in to slow player movement and increase parity.  

The nba has a growing problem of talent being too concentrated.  Silver will want to so something to change this.  

Thus, given the uncertanty of next year's cba, i think you accumulate vets who can play together in Bud's system 

Edited by frosgrim
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, hazer said:

Yeah if Prince earns minutes at SF and Baze gets minutes at SG that is a good starting five that could get us there. Gotta gel by mid season. We know what Sap will give us. Those swing guys have to do really well. Don't doubt that Sap will again prove his worth for us.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MrYellow said:

Do you wanna know a secret? Only TWO teams among 30 make the finals.

Are all other teams supposed to destroy their entire roster every single year?

We have good assets, stop being scared of competition.

Ha...Scared of competition?  How about scared of mediocrity...It will take another sweep in the playoffs to realize this...I will circle back with you this time next year... In a star driven league, we need to change the perception...Our old Friend Billy Knight realize this, although stupidly missing out on Chris Paul and others, paid Joe Johnson that mega contract in a poor attempt to change perception of Atlanta.....I mean KD didnt even want to listen to us.....

Ferry & Bud were excellent at bringing that SPurs Culture to ATL...Please keep in mind that the Spurs did have a Superstar on that roster...And I love our your two SFs, THJ, even Howard....but we need a SuperStar.....Maybe Denis can be that...ok, let's wait another year and hope...

Edited by wolvetigers

15 hours ago, wolvetigers said:

Ha...Scared of competition?  How about scared of mediocrity...It will take another sweep in the playoffs to realize this...I will circle back with you this time next year... In a star driven league, we need to change the perception...Our old Friend Billy Knight realize this, although stupidly missing out on Chris Paul and others, paid Joe Johnson that mega contract in a poor attempt to change perception of Atlanta.....I mean KD didnt even want to listen to us.....

Ferry & Bud were excellent at bringing that SPurs Culture to ATL...Please keep in mind that the Spurs did have a Superstar on that roster...And I love our your two SFs, THJ, even Howard....but we need a SuperStar.....Maybe Denis can be that...ok, let's wait another year and hope...

So the best idea is: we'll trade all of our assets and good players for Westbrook.

And of course he will remain since we'll be sooooooo good with him alone, since we traded all we had. Nice move.

• Premium Member

Isn't Westbrook the reason KD left OKC?  So how would Westbrook attract other free agents to his teams?  This dud will never win a championship with his selfish style of play.  So hell no to Westbrook.  Let him be one of New York's many problem children.

• Like 1