• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Magic at Hawks

lethalweapon3

• Moderators
44 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

I was roundly criticized when I said Baze was a bad signing. I hate to say I told you so, but I told you so.

You had a lot of company:

On 3/25/2016 at 9:06 AM, AHF said:

I don't think Baze is going to get a contract worth near $15M but he will get overpaid.  We should put our money into a SF and let THJr, and Korver cover us at SG.  Thabo and our FA can cover us at SF.  All those guys would be big enough to mix and match as well.  (This assumes no significant trades).

On 3/25/2016 at 9:22 AM, hazer said:

Bingo, gotta let him walk and focus on starting SF.

On 3/25/2016 at 10:03 AM, jy23 said:

Bye Baze...I wouldn't even consider signing him with those type of numbers being thrown around. THJr is just fine as our starting 2 next year. Spend that money on a starting 3 like everybody said 

And others.  Definitely not consensus on bringing him back at this price tag.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
37 minutes ago, AHF said:

LMAO.  I read it wrong.  If you look at his splits as a starter and reserve he is averaging more minutes as a reserve this season.

Starter:  27.6 mpg

Reserve:  31.4 mpg

4 minute gap but I had in my mind that benching him might have led to reduced minutes and didn't look carefully enough.  So Bud benched him and is playing him more.

Again, I don't think that is apples to apples because of Baze's absence and last night he did play a more normal 27 mpg with Baze back but still.  WTF Bud??

That is completely unacceptable. Why bench him if he's going to play MORE minutes anyway? Even with Baze being out that should mean more minutes for Prince. Man, I'm getting a little concerned about Bud to be completely honest.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, hawkman said:

That is completely unacceptable. Why bench him if he's going to play MORE minutes anyway? Even with Baze being out that should mean more minutes for Prince. Man, I'm getting a little concerned about Bud to be completely honest.

I'd say this is pretty typical NBA coach stuff.   I mean we've been complaining about playing time for rookies for the last 5 coaches.   

13 hours ago, Hotlanta1981 said:

It's time for Millsap to go. Not just because of his defense, but he is showing decline on offense.

Sap isn't the problem.  But he has always been just a bit undersized for a PF.  If he dropped a bit of weight he could play SF.

Let's review a few specific plays from Payton's night (I was going to do just pictures but I can't print screen for some reason right now):

0:02-0:07:

Once Dennis helps off of Payton, it's too late for the defensive possession to be fixed. It's where I said he's not good on off of the ball defense. To his credit he tried to hustle back, but once he made that mistake it wasn't correctable.

0:13-0:17:

Dennis actually was beat a little thanks to the Green screen, but before he was beat, Millsap is already watching Payton instead of Green, his man. What are you doing?

0:29-0:32:

Payton was ignored completely here on the perimeter, like he's as bad as Tony Allen as a shooter. But if you let NBA caliber players to set their feet, they are going to knock down shots.

0:45-0:50:

This is just lazy by Howard. So freaking lazy.

Second half:

1:37-1:41:

Payton doesn't even have to make any moves at all, because Millsap is playing 10 feet off of Ibaka for no reason.

1:54-1:58:

Payton doesn't even have to move again, because Muscala is watching him and not Ibaka.

2:00-2:05:

The screen slows Dennis down a bit, but he recovers enough to NOT need help from Muscala.

2:32-2:37:

Again, while Payton is a bad jump shooter, he's allowed to set his feet for some reason. Set feet jump shots are going to go most of the time.

Video for reference:

Yeah. This is awful, awful defense by Millsap and Muscala mostly. Payton was not as willing to attack with Dennis on him and only really burned him in the half court in off the ball situations, but he racked in assist after assist after assist because Millsap and Muscala didn't trust that Dennis could stay with his man so they constantly helped him. And for the most part, the times that Payton actually tried to make a move, he did stay with him.

Edited by Lurker
  • Like 4

59 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Let's review a few specific plays from Payton's night (I was going to do just pictures but I can't print screen for some reason right now):

0:02-0:07:

Once Dennis helps off of Payton, it's too late for the defensive possession to be fixed. It's where I said he's not good on off of the ball defense. To his credit he tried to hustle back, but once he made that mistake it wasn't correctable.

0:13-0:17:

Dennis actually was beat a little thanks to the Green screen, but before he was beat, Millsap is already watching Payton instead of Green, his man. What are you doing?

0:29-0:32:

Payton was ignored completely here on the perimeter, like he's as bad as Tony Allen as a shooter. But if you let NBA caliber players to set their feet, they are going to knock down shots.

0:45-0:50:

This is just lazy by Howard. So freaking lazy.

Second half:

1:37-1:41:

Payton doesn't even have to make any moves at all, because Millsap is playing 10 feet off of Ibaka for no reason.

1:54-1:58:

Payton doesn't even have to move again, because Muscala is watching him and not Ibaka.

2:00-2:05:

The screen slows Dennis down a bit, but he recovers enough to NOT need help from Muscala.

2:32-2:37:

Again, while Payton is a bad jump shooter, he's allowed to set his feet for some reason. Set feet jump shots are going to go most of the time.

Video for reference:

Yeah. This is awful, awful defense by Millsap and Muscala mostly. Payton was not as willing to attack with Dennis on him and only really burned him in the half court in off the ball situations, but he racked in assist after assist after assist because Millsap and Muscala didn't trust that Dennis could stay with his man so they constantly helped him. And for the most part, the times that Payton actually tried to make a move, he did stay with him.

I applaud ypu for rewatching that mess and breaking it down.

• Moderators

Programming Note: I'll be shifting to decaf soon today... do they still make Taster's Choice?

But players, PLEASE, LAY OFF TWITTER or Facebook or Instagram or Farmers Only or whatever the heck else it is you do in between games.

"Free time" ain't free, cuzzes.

If I catch one more tweet talm'bout "Dag, Tough loss. We'll get the next one!" or "It's gametime! Let's go get this game!" or "Hey, my alma mater team did something!" or "Hey, look everybody, my Foundation is doing something!", or "Look at this inspirational quote that you've already heard a thousand times, everybody!", I will wrench the remaining hairs out of my nose. (I'm told ripping hair off the top of my head is counterproductive these days. And the soul patch is off-limits.)

Leave the texting on Ye Olde Internet Machine to us degenerates out here. You, too, Splitter.

I'm off to go fill it to the rim with some Brim...

~lw3

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, lethalweapon3 said:

Programming Note: I'll be shifting to decaf soon today... do they still make Taster's Choice?

But players, PLEASE, LAY OFF TWITTER or Facebook or Instagram or Farmers Only or whatever the heck else it is you do in between games.

"Free time" ain't free, cuzzes.

If I catch one more tweet talm'bout "Dag, Tough loss. We'll get the next one!" or "It's gametime! Let's go get this game!" or "Hey, my alma mater team did something!" or "Hey, look everybody, my Foundation is doing something!", or "Look at this inspirational quote that you've already heard a thousand times, everybody!", I will wrench the remaining hairs out of my nose. (I'm told ripping hair off the top of my head is counterproductive these days. And the soul patch is off-limits.)

Leave the texting on Ye Olde Internet Machine to us degenerates out here. You, too, Splitter.

I'm off to go fill it to the rim with some Brim...

~lw3

The sorry Hawks are causing an lw3 meltdown....lololololol.

You know it's bad when we are getting more than gamethreads from the master.

7 hours ago, kg01 said:

Lies.  You don't hate it at all.

You ain't wrong, tho.  DelaneySucks was also a bad signing.  I was on that early and I love to say 'I told you so'.  We need Jarrett Jack in the worst way.  This team is in need of a serious heart transplant or a heart insertion at least.

If we're gonna suck, play Prince/Bembry!

Delaney is a pretty good signing but he's more of a 3rd PG, not a main backup. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, lethalweapon3 said:

:coffee:

~lw3bucks

:drag:

~lw3aftertenmorelousylosses

(it'll be a vape)

Noooooooooooooooo!!!! The coffee we can handle but cigarettes will kill ya! 

Oh a vape...my mistake...carry on (i think I don't know anything about vapes lol)

11 hours ago, AHF said:

You had a lot of company:

And others.  Definitely not consensus on bringing him back at this price tag.

Leave it up to AHF to pat himself on the bak. :rollseyes

4 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Delaney is a pretty good signing but he's more of a 3rd PG, not a main backup. 

Perhaps.  I just will never fully root for the guy.  All in all, he suffers from the same problem as everybody else on the roster IMHO.  They're not bad players, they're just being asked to do more than they're capable of providing.

Lastly, wtf happ'nd to @lethalweapon3?  Coffee deodorant?  Vapes?  What're y'all gawking at?!

Enough!

We're supposed to be a community people!  Somebody talk him off the ledge!!  No I mean, talk him down ... no, not to jump .. to come down ... ah, you know what I mean.

4 hours ago, kg01 said:

Perhaps.  I just will never fully root for the guy.  All in all, he suffers from the same problem as everybody else on the roster IMHO.  They're not bad players, they're just being asked to do more than they're capable of providing.

Lastly, wtf happ'nd to @lethalweapon3?  Coffee deodorant?  Vapes?  What're y'all gawking at?!

Enough!

We're supposed to be a community people!  Somebody talk him off the ledge!!  No I mean, talk him down ... no, not to jump .. to come down ... ah, you know what I mean.

Blowing draft picks like Adrian Payne and BeBe is the reason we are in this position. Just imagine if we got Rodney Hood and moved up a couple slots to get Giannis or even took Gobert instead of Bebe.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Blowing draft picks like Adrian Payne and BeBe is the reason we are in this position. Just imagine if we got Rodney Hood and moved up a couple slots to get Giannis or even took Gobert instead of Bebe.

You know what, Supers.  You're crazy as a bag o' wet cats most of the time, but you hit the nail on the head erry once in a while.

People still act like Ferry walks on water but misses like these are a subtle reason why we're sucking it up right now.

• Moderators
10 hours ago, kg01 said:

Enough!

LZ585c.gif

• Like 1