• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

It is confirmed! Bud not going to the Suns!

marco102

The Hawks gave permission to Budenholzer to meet with the Suns, and would be open to allowing him to become a candidate for other head coaching openings, league sources said. Budenholzer has two years and $13 million plus left on his contract, with the Hawks headed into a full rebuilding process.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23252971/mike-budenholzer-atlanta-hawks-withdraws-phoenix-suns-consideration

25 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

It's pretty much over. The Hawks aren't going to grant Milwaukee a chance to interview Bud. 

Bud already shot down the Milwaukee rumor in the interview with Jeff Schulz 

not saying you nbasupe but guys need to go back and read the interview Schultz put on ajc q & a with bud that came out a week ago.

bud isn’t going to Phx or Milwaukee. Now the spurs I don’t know , we need to wait and see what pop decides to do.

18 minutes ago, JTB said:

if bud ends up staying long term I wonder how these current players are going to feel about him out here shopping for other jobs.

Judging by how hard they played for him down the stretch I don’t think they mind.  Players know full well better than any of us it’s a business.  

It isn’t sexy to the media but the league knows he’s in very high demand.  It’s what, 29 other freaking teams with the ability to get an MVP-caliber talent or already with one.  They know he can take a young All-NBA player and bust through his ceiling in no time like Pop and Kawhi.

Edited by benhillboy

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, JTB said:

if bud ends up staying long term I wonder how these current players are going to feel about him out here shopping for other jobs.

If it were to end up that it was only PHX, I think that's easily excused... PHX is home territory for him and his family as I understand it.

If it were to end up that it was only PHX and SAS, I also think that's easily excused, again, given his history.

If it were to emerge that he's open to going anywhere else, though, I think that's a near-certain signal that he's not staying long-term.

Just my opinion.

But tooting my own horn, don't be too quick to discount me, at least on this particular topic... I was taking on big-time artillery last summer when I dared to suggest we should be concerned that Schlenk's hiring presser was deliberately scheduled at an exact day and time when there would be some convenient reason for Bud to be absent. And my instincts continued to cry foul for most of the year, except that Bud won me over with some mid-season comments that seemed to... finally... affirm that he was/is ready to travel this rocky journey with the Hawks franchise back to the summit.

Here's where that leaves me. I continue to think it highly unlikely that Bud will leave ATL for another franchise or town with which he doesn't have some history. And as just voiced, I think it probable that Bud will indeed leave ATL for another franchise with which he does have some history when all is said and done. He will be welcomed with open arms if Pop calls it a day and exits stage left.

Well dang, looks like the Suns won’t have a 20-win improvement next season after all.

Edited by hazer
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, marco102 said:

The thing I like about this is it says BUD withdrew his name which may indicate maybe he's more happy with his situation in Atlanta? NO idea though..lol

If he was happy in Atlanta he would not have interviewed to begin with, imo.  

• Like 1

My hope is that Bud used the interview to leverage the Hawks on an issue.  I won’t be satisfied until I see that he is returning with an extension on his contract though.  Ressler and Schlenk need to realize that they have a top 5 coach and need to make him happy.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, bleachkit said:

Glad Schlenk held firm. I knew Phoenix wasn't going to give up a mid 1st for a coach.

Its so funny to me that some how Schlenk's name is linked to every thing... Schlenk forced bud to go interview with phoenix because he wants to hire Mark Jackson...Schlenk Killed Bud's opportunity in Phoenix cause he wanted a mid round pick.  Couldn't it possibly be all Bud?  Maybe Bud missed Arizona and wanted to go back home...Maybe Phoenix met with Bud and wasn't impressed.  Y'all can't keep using Schlenk as the scapegoat!

1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

Its so funny to me that some how Schlenk's name is linked to every thing... Schlenk forced bud to go interview with phoenix because he wants to hire Mark Jackson...Schlenk Killed Bud's opportunity in Phoenix cause he wanted a mid round pick.  Couldn't it possibly be all Bud?  Maybe Bud missed Arizona and wanted to go back home...Maybe Phoenix met with Bud and wasn't impressed.  Y'all can't keep using Schlenk as the scapegoat!

Think about it.  Before Schlenk and Ressler, Bud never displayed any dissatisfaction.  I seriously doubt that Phoenix wasn't impressed.

• Premium Member
40 minutes ago, Watchman said:

Think about it.  Before Schlenk and Ressler, Bud never displayed any dissatisfaction.  I seriously doubt that Phoenix wasn't impressed.

Because he was running the show!  Who was he going to complain about??? Himself?  And as far as Phoenix is concerned...we don't know one way or the other so why assume???