• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Summer League Roster / Schedule Released - All Things Summer League!

NBASupes

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, KB21 said:

I really wish we could have gotten a glimpse of Huerter in summer league.  

Me too.

Heard he's getting the cast off next week and will start shooting provided all goes well at Doc. visit.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, thecampster said:

I'm not gonna lie...I'm a big enough man to admit it...I was so happy on draft night I got a bit weepy.  Then later when I say Heurter keep dropping, I said...no...there's no way we get him at 19. I was yelling at the tv to trade up, trade up to grab him.  I honestly thought he was gonna be one of those guys that a team is hush about and sneaks up and takes him at the end of the lottery.  Just wait till you guys see KH play off of PnR stops. He plays the 3 man game off the PnR so well...sometime soon you're gonna hear. "Collins sets the screen, young starts to drive...stopped...but there's Heurter for 3...."BANG!".

Love it ? 

4 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

My Fave play by Trae?

Doubled at the top of the key, thread the needle at the basket for a dunk? Eyes up.

He had the floater working tonight.

Looks like he's adjusted to the speed of SL.

Me too ? and the full court look ? 

4 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Little sumpin sumpin for the Pierce haters

Brad RowlandVerified account @BTRowland 7m7 minutes ago

Chris Jent says Lloyd Pierce talked to the team, prior to the comeback, at halftime

Cool! Not a pierce hater but I was a bit worried about the type of offense that was going to be ran with the performance of the first 3 summer league games.

but I see pierce was just joking around in Utah . Lol

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, AHF said:

Now that is the way to end the summer league.  Loved it.  

Nice confidence boost for the rest of the summer before the meaningful play starts.

End? They play tomorrow night at 10:30 vs PTL.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Trae's court vision is ELITE!  I'm convinced that the only other player that was taken in this draft who can make some of the passes that Trae was making in the last 5 minutes is Luka Doncic.  Trae just sees the court differently than the other point guards.  

Look, he's young.  He's going to have moments this year where he can't throw the ball into the ocean.  He's going to have moments that will drive you crazy with his decision making.  However, if this coaching staff truly promotes player development even if it costs them their precious tank, this is a player who has elite play making ability from the point guard spot that can be harnessed over the next two seasons as he gains experience and his body develops.  

He still got a long way to go but at least we all know he's probably the most talented PG to enter the NBA.

• Like 1

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

End? They play tomorrow night at 10:30 vs PTL.

Before he was ending the SL on a sh$&ty note.  Now it doesn’t matter what he does his next game.  He has done enough the last two games to take some confidence out of the SL experience.

None of it means much for the future but this feels much better for the fans and can’t hurt for him either.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

I seems like these teams wear themselves out trapping Trae hard in the 1st half of these games.  Then it appears ans though they have nothing left in the 2nd halves against the Hawks.

Interesting observation.

True Shooting % Assist % AST/TO Ratio Usage Rate
Trae Young (SL Overall) 41.7% 30.6% 1.52 27.3%
Trae Young (SL Vegas) 59.4% 38.2% 1.9 24.7%
Trae Young (College) 58.5% 48.6% 1.67 37.1%
League Average* (approx.) 55.5% 25% 1.62 20%
Dennis Schröder* 51.5% 35.2% 2.28 30.5%
Lebron James* 62.1% 43.2% 2.15 31.6%
Stephen Curry* 67.5% 30.3% 2.03 29.7%

* Stats from 2017-2018 season

Yes, I know sample size is important and Dennis, Lebron, Trae, and Steph aren't anywhere close to the same players, but this is meant to analyze his performance in Summer League over 6 games and how it compares to our current starting PG and players elite at passing and 3-point shooting. Also, note that in 1 game during Summer League Vegas, Young only played 10 minutes as a result of a banged up knee and muscle soreness.

True Shooting %

This statistic takes every shooting measurement recorded within the game (2's, 3's, FTs) and weighs them against each other (hence FTs counting less) to calculate the best measure of shooting ability possible. However, missed 3's and missed 2's do count the same despite made 3's counting more than made 2's. The chart shows that in the total 6 games that Young has played so far, he's not doing so well, but since Summer League Vegas has started he's returned to familiar, above average TS% which we've all been able to see from the actual games. Taking into account that he prioritizes 3's and his struggle to finish at the rim so far, I would say 59.4% is about what we would expect from him. Obviously there is room for improvement.

Formula:

Points / (2 \ (Field-Goals Attempted + 0.44 * Free-Throws Attempted))*

Assist %

Assist percentage is meant to adjust for the pace of play, volume of shots, and minutes played in order to obtain a good indication of the percentage that each teammate on the floor is being assisted by the player. It is useful to see how effective a player is in getting assists on each possession. Young's assist percentage in college was absolutely ridiculous, comparable to Steph Curry's 40% in his college career. This could probably be a result of both being the main option for both scoring and passing on pretty bad teams. Obviously, if you're a step above everybody else you will be the near exclusive ballhandler who will be making the majority of passing decisions, especially when constant doubles open your teammates for shots. I would expect Young's AST% to be anywhere between 30-40% this season with his passing vision/accuracy and so far, even through good and bad games, he has met those expectations. It should only become higher and more consistent with experience and better teammates who can make more open looks.

Formula:

100 \ Assists / (((Minutes Played / (Total Minutes Played / 5)) * Total Field-Goals Made) - Field-Goals Made)*

Assist/Turnover Ratio

There's not too much to say here. One knock on Young out of college was his turnovers, and looking at the numbers, he's definitely not where you want your NBA starting point guard to be. For what it's worth, Steph had about a 1.3 AST/TO ratio in his last 2 years at Davidson, but jumped to a reasonable 1.85 in his first two years in the NBA. Experience and teammates who are ready to catch your dimes can do a lot for this statistic and Young's vision appears to surpass Steph's. Another thing to take into account is how high Trae's usage rate was in college. The more you're involved in each play on the floor, the more likely you are to be involved in a turnover. Trae has made some inaccurate passes in Summer League and the pressure he's getting defensively does not seem to be helping. However, in his recent games, the floor has opened up a bit and he seems to have gotten through the initial nerves of an NBA debut. 1.9 is right about where I would expect his career average to hover, provided he improves. Anything more would be a major bonus. NOTE: Schröder's stat here is very favorable because he played significantly less games than usual, his career ratio is closer to 1.9-2.

Usage Rate

All the numbers in this calculation essentially end up indicating what percentage of plays on the floor involved the player as long as the play ends in a turnover, free throw, or field goal attempt. This stat favors those who shoot more than pass and vice versa because a player could be involved in great ball movement that ends in a basket, but that pass will not be included in usage rate. The number should be 1/5 of the team on average, but obviously players who can increase that without losing efficiency, should. The top 50 usage rates are between 25-35% and I would say the sweet spot for coaches and ball-dominant players would be around 30% barring that your player is having an MVP-type season and is the focal point of the offense. USG% is more helpful to put context to the rest of the player's statistics, but we can see that Young's was ridiculous in college and it is probably hovering in the high 20's as a result of the Summer League rotations, a missed game, and learning to play within a system.

Formula:

100 * ((Field-Goals Attempted + 0.44 * Free-Throws Attempted + Turnovers) * (Total Minutes Played / 5))/(Minutes Played * (Total Field-Goals Attempted + 0.44 * Total Free-Throws Attempted + Total Turnovers))

EDIT: TL;DR:

True Shooting Percentage: Young's offensive game has improved overtime in Summer League and is closer to his college stats. I would expect that to increase considering context.

Assist Percentage: The numbers show that in every circumstance, good, bad, league-wide, Summer League, and college, Young's ability to assist his teammates is already at an extremely high level. Look for it to increase as his career progresses.

AST/TO Ratio: Doesn't look great right now, however in the past 3-4 games, his turnover to assist ratio has gotten significantly better. Would expect his TO numbers to be closer to his recent games, especially with time and better teammates.

Usage Rate: Huge in college, about normal now considering it's Summer League. I mainly included this stat in order to provide context for the others.