• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Summer League Roster / Schedule Released - All Things Summer League!

NBASupes

Repost, formatting issue

True Shooting % Assist % AST/TO Ratio Usage Rate
Trae Young (SL Overall) 41.7% 30.6% 1.52 27.3%
Trae Young (SL Vegas) 59.4% 38.2% 1.9 24.7%
Trae Young (College) 58.5% 48.6% 1.67 37.1%
League Average* (approx.) 55.5% 25% 1.62 20%
Dennis Schröder* 51.5% 35.2% 2.28 30.5%
Lebron James* 62.1% 43.2% 2.15 31.6%
Stephen Curry* 67.5% 30.3% 2.03 29.7%

* Stats from 2017-2018 season

Yes, I know sample size is important and Dennis, Lebron, Trae, and Steph aren't anywhere close to the same players, but this is meant to analyze his performance in Summer League over 6 games and how it compares to our current starting PG and players elite at passing and 3-point shooting. Also, note that in 1 game during Summer League Vegas, Young only played 10 minutes as a result of a banged up knee and muscle soreness.

True Shooting %

This statistic takes every shooting measurement recorded within the game (2's, 3's, FTs) and weighs them against each other (hence FTs counting less) to calculate the best measure of shooting ability possible. However, missed 3's and missed 2's do count the same despite made 3's counting more than made 2's. The chart shows that in the total 6 games that Young has played so far, he's not doing so well, but since Summer League Vegas has started he's returned to familiar, above average TS% which we've all been able to see from the actual games. Taking into account that he prioritizes 3's and his struggle to finish at the rim so far, I would say 59.4% is about what we would expect from him. Obviously there is room for improvement.

Formula:

Points / (2 \ (Field-Goals Attempted + 0.44 * Free-Throws Attempted))*

Assist %

Assist percentage is meant to adjust for the pace of play, volume of shots, and minutes played in order to obtain a good indication of the percentage that each teammate on the floor is being assisted by the player. It is useful to see how effective a player is in getting assists on each possession. Young's assist percentage in college was absolutely ridiculous, comparable to Steph Curry's 40% in his college career. This could probably be a result of both being the main option for both scoring and passing on pretty bad teams. Obviously, if you're a step above everybody else you will be the near exclusive ballhandler who will be making the majority of passing decisions, especially when constant doubles open your teammates for shots. I would expect Young's AST% to be anywhere between 30-40% this season with his passing vision/accuracy and so far, even through good and bad games, he has met those expectations. It should only become higher and more consistent with experience and better teammates who can make more open looks.

Formula:

100 \ Assists / (((Minutes Played / (Total Minutes Played / 5)) * Total Field-Goals Made) - Field-Goals Made)*

Assist/Turnover Ratio

There's not too much to say here. One knock on Young out of college was his turnovers, and looking at the numbers, he's definitely not where you want your NBA starting point guard to be. For what it's worth, Steph had about a 1.3 AST/TO ratio in his last 2 years at Davidson, but jumped to a reasonable 1.85 in his first two years in the NBA. Experience and teammates who are ready to catch your dimes can do a lot for this statistic and Young's vision appears to surpass Steph's. Another thing to take into account is how high Trae's usage rate was in college. The more you're involved in each play on the floor, the more likely you are to be involved in a turnover. Trae has made some inaccurate passes in Summer League and the pressure he's getting defensively does not seem to be helping. However, in his recent games, the floor has opened up a bit and he seems to have gotten through the initial nerves of an NBA debut. 1.9 is right about where I would expect his career average to hover, provided he improves. Anything more would be a major bonus. NOTE: Schröder's stat here is very favorable because he played significantly less games than usual, his career ratio is closer to 1.9-2.

Usage Rate

All the numbers in this calculation essentially end up indicating what percentage of plays on the floor involved the player as long as the play ends in a turnover, free throw, or field goal attempt. This stat favors those who shoot more than pass and vice versa because a player could be involved in great ball movement that ends in a basket, but that pass will not be included in usage rate. The number should be 1/5 of the team on average, but obviously players who can increase that without losing efficiency, should. The top 50 usage rates are between 25-35% and I would say the sweet spot for coaches and ball-dominant players would be around 30% barring that your player is having an MVP-type season and is the focal point of the offense. USG% is more helpful to put context to the rest of the player's statistics, but we can see that Young's was ridiculous in college and it is probably hovering in the high 20's as a result of the Summer League rotations, a missed game, and learning to play within a system.

Formula:

100 * ((Field-Goals Attempted + 0.44 * Free-Throws Attempted + Turnovers) * (Total Minutes Played / 5))/(Minutes Played * (Total Field-Goals Attempted + 0.44 * Total Free-Throws Attempted + Total Turnovers))

EDIT: TL;DR:

True Shooting Percentage: Young's offensive game has improved overtime in Summer League and is closer to his college stats. I would expect that to increase considering context.

Assist Percentage: The numbers show that in every circumstance, good, bad, league-wide, Summer League, and college, Young's ability to assist his teammates is already at an extremely high level. Look for it to increase as his career progresses.

AST/TO Ratio: Doesn't look great right now, however in the past 3-4 games, his turnover to assist ratio has gotten significantly better. Would expect his TO numbers to be closer to his recent games, especially with time and better teammates.

Usage Rate: Huge in college, about normal now considering it's Summer League. I mainly included this stat in order to provide context for the others.

True Shooting % Assist % AST/TO Ratio Usage Rate
Trae Young (SL Overall) 41.7% 30.6% 1.52 27.3%
Trae Young (SL Vegas) 59.4% 38.2% 1.9 24.7%
Trae Young (College) 58.5% 48.6% 1.67 37.1%
League Average* (approx.) 55.5% 25% 1.62 20%
Dennis Schröder* 51.5% 35.2% 2.28 30.5%
Lebron James* 62.1% 43.2% 2.15 31.6%
Stephen Curry* 67.5% 30.3% 2.03 29.7%

True Shooting %Assist %AST/TO RatioUsage Rate

Trae Young (SL Overall)41.7%30.6%1.5227.3%

Trae Young (SL Vegas)59.4%38.2%1.924.7%

Trae Young (College)58.5%48.6%1.6737.1%

League Average* (approx.)55.5%25%1.6220%

Dennis Schröder*51.5%35.2%2.2830.5%

Lebron James*62.1%43.2%2.1531.6%

Stephen Curry*67.5%30.3%2.0329.7%

1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

So . . . do you shut Trae down tomorrow?   This is about as high as his stock is going to get in Summer League, unless he gets Summer League MVP.

The Lakers rested Lonzo Ball for the championship game, despite Lonzo really getting into a groove as the Summer League progressed.

Ball got hurt and Magic said no more lol. Trae should play as long as he/the coaches feels comfortable playing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KB21 said:

I really wish we could have gotten a glimpse of Huerter in summer league.  

Same i like that kid and had him in a few of my mocks i did.  Although i honestly thought he might go before us at times.  The kids shot is something serious and i think he is alot more athletic and sneaky quick to the basket at playmaking than alot of people have given him credit for as well.

• Like 2

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, DBac said:

Ball got hurt and Magic said no more lol. Trae should play as long as he/the coaches feels comfortable playing.

Yep.  No reason to shut him down.  He needs the reps and there is plenty for him to work on.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Sothron said:

it figures I miss the one good game from Young all SL. Oh well. Glad he finally had a good game. My dad said he looked really solid the last few minutes of the game. Can't watch when work calls though.

He was better v. The Bulls but dynamic in the last 5 minutes for us. 

He's not as much as quick as he is agile. 

10 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

It seems like these teams wear themselves out trapping Trae hard in the 1st half of these games.  Then it appears ans though they have nothing left in the 2nd halves against the Hawks.

Trae was the team in the first half of this one; without his 16 points we are down 30 at the half. We shot almost 55% of the field last night. I cannot wait to see Tare grow and start play with players who shoot .450 or better from the field every night.

Those passes in the 4th quarter were off the charts. The full court one was Bron and Magic like. He may be a small point guard but that takes one hell of an arm.

• Like 1

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Bonkers said:

Does anybody know the record for assists per game for a rookie?

Top 10 APG For Rookies

Mark Jackson 10.6 apg

Oscar 9.7

Damon Stoudamire 9.3

Tim Hardaway 8.7

Phil Ford 8.6

John Wall 8.3

Ennis Watley 8.3

Ernie DeGregorio 8.2

Brevin Knight 8.2

Nate McMillan 8.2

The top 4 were very good players (Oscar an all-time great).  After that, Wall and a lot of not so all-time-greats who put up big numbers by holding  the ball a lot on bad teams their rookie years.

Just now, AHF said:

Top 10 APG For Rookies

Mark Jackson 10.6 apg

Oscar 9.7

Damon Stoudamire 9.3

Tim Hardaway 8.7

Phil Ford 8.6

John Wall 8.3

Ennis Watley 8.3

Ernie DeGregorio 8.2

Brevin Knight 8.2

Nate McMillan 8.2

The top 4 were very good players (Oscar an all-time great).  After that, Wall and a lot of not so all-time-greats who put up big numbers by holding  the ball a lot on bad teams their rookie years.

Yea I just looked. I think Trae's could avg around 9 assists a game If Bud was here I most definitely don't see Trae pussting up that many assists. Bud hated rookies and I couldn't stand him for that (and other reasons) No rookie has a chance to be rookie of the year with him as coach