• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Schlenksanity! Lin to the Hawks...for what?

lethalweapon3

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

"General manager Travis Schlenk told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution that he would use the trade market, not free agency, to continue to build the roster with approximately $20 million in salary cap space. Schlenk said he planned to use the cap space to take on expiring contracts in an effort to gain more assets." 

this is what I was referencing

I think he means the remaining capspace amount.

I get the take on expirings for assets......but 7 years away? A 2nd? 

#Not.Good.Use.of.Capspace.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, AHF said:

If we deal Dennis and get another point guard will having Len really be worth giving up Denver's 2019 first round pick?  Really?

Am I missing something?  I don't see a first round pick being mentioned in the trade.  I only see second round picks being mentioned.

Just now, KB21 said:

Yet, he didn't get a single quality asset for taking on Lin's contract.

Nope. I would rather have 2020 POR pick than a 6th grader

Just now, AUhawksfan said:

Am I missing something?  I don't see a first round pick being mentioned in the trade.  I only see second round picks being mentioned.

He's talking about Brooklyn haul

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, AUhawksfan said:

Denver gave the Nets their 2019 first round pick for taking expiring contracts.  We passed on that deal to take Lin.  I can't for the life of me understand why we would prefer Lin over Denver's 2019 pick.

The lack of a first round pick being mentioned in the trade is the problem.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, AUhawksfan said:

It's in reference to the Hawks passing on taking on Denvers expirings for the 2019 1st, instead we took Lin and got a pick swap 5 years away and a 2nd 7 years away.

• Like 2

Travis has not made the best of trades. But he wanted a PG

Q. Is there a position you see of need? A guard? A wing?

A. Right now, when you look at our depth chart, we are pretty good on the wing. We only have the two point guards in Dennis (Schröder) and Trae. We have five bigs, but a lot of our bigs can play both positions. John is playing a lot more 4 this year. Last year he was kind of a 5, so we feel he can play both spots. Omari versus some matchups can play both spots with his shooting. (Dewayne) Dedmon and (Mike) Muscala. We feel pretty good about the versatility of our five bigs. 

https://www.ajc.com/sports/basketball/schlenk-our-free-agency-going-trades/skFwgEP4gE0L5qSmXliRrN/amp.html

• Like 2

• Moderators
Just now, JayBirdHawk said:

It's in reference to the Hawks passing on taking on Denvers expirings for the 2019 1st, instead we took Lin and got a pick swap 5 years away and a 2nd 7 years away.

We take on dead Lin salary so they can make the deal we should have made.  Not only did we pass on the better deal, we enabled our EC rival to do it.  :fie:

Now the only out for Schlenk on this is to come up with another domino to fall that makes this part of a multiple transaction and get a better return than that Denver pick.  Because right now Travis looks like he got schooled on a trade.  Again.

• Like 2

• Moderators

A. Right now, when you look at our depth chart, we are pretty good on the wing. We only have the two point guards in Dennis (Schröder) and Trae. We have five bigs, but a lot of our bigs can play both positions. John is playing a lot more 4 this year. Last year he was kind of a 5, so we feel he can play both spots. Omari versus some matchups can play both spots with his shooting. (Dewayne) Dedmon and (Mike) Muscala. We feel pretty good about the versatility of our five bigs. 

https://www.ajc.com/sports/basketball/schlenk-our-free-agency-going-trades/skFwgEP4gE0L5qSmXliRrN/amp.html

He is an idiot if he passed on Denver's 2019 first round pick so he could take a PG who has played 37 games the last two seasons combined for $12.5M this year.

• Like 1

I don't know why people cannot look at our depth chart and figure out all by themselves we needed a PG. I think it is hilarious that some here require your depth chart guidance. If they need you to hold their hand, please carry on Supes.

• Like 1

Definitely a head scratcher.  Probably a sign of Schlenk's negotiating tactics. 

I wonder if he came in too hard at first and is now trying to salvage something now that Denver moved on to another trade partner.  I didn't realize how serious we were discussing with them.

Outside of knowing that I was good with the trade though.  Hopefully this is a move that dominoes into another.

I am in the boat that thinks Atlanta strongly feels they can get value and an asset for Dennis by the trade deadline and that Jaylen Adams will be the 3rd PG. 

No other way to explain it. If they needed a 3rd string PG, Delaney is ready right now. Lin might not be ready to December. Young isn't ready to start. 

4 minutes ago, AHF said:

We take on dead Lin salary so they can make the deal we should have made.  Not only did we pass on the better deal, we enabled our EC rival to do it.  :fie:

Now the only out for Schlenk on this is to come up with another domino to fall that makes this part of a multiple transaction and get a better return than that Denver pick.  Because right now Travis looks like he got schooled on a trade.  Again.

Sean Marks was probably stifling laughter as he talked to Slink.

Every GM in the league is probably burning up Slink's phone tryna get him to deal.  SMDH

• Like 3

Larry (Teddy) Riley: "Dayum, sun.  What in the actual F are you thinking on these deals, bro?"

Slink: "I 'on't even know, mayne.  These dudes is trippin'.  Don't they know I used-ta work for tha Warriors?"

Riles: "Ah man, that shizz don't matter no mo'.  You work for da Hawks, now.  Besides, me 'n Bob did all the real work in GS.  You jus' folded papers and .."

Slink: "Shhhhh, I had you on speaker.  Somebody mighta heard you."

Riles: "Aw my bad, bro.  Look.  See if your boss will brang me in like what Jerry did in LAC.  I'mma help you get it together b'fore they figure out you in over your head."

Slink: "Shiiii.  'Preciate it, my ni..."

Riles: "Shhhh, I had you on speaker!"

Slink: "Nzinga!!!"

6 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

I don't know why people cannot look at our depth chart and figure out all by themselves we needed a PG. I think it is hilarious that some here require your depth chart guidance. If they need you to hold their hand, please carry on Supes.

But we’re not disagreeing that we didn’t need another point guard...the disagreement and disappointment comes in on the assets that we gained.

i originally thought we gained a first rd pick 7 years down the road but to do this deal just to get a 2nd rd pick as the asset that’s 7 years down the road instead of doing the Denver deal is well horrible negotiations from Schlenk but like supes said maybe there’s something else in the works 

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Could have signed ANY stop gap PG or heck just convery Adam's GL contract. Baaaad use of $13 mil in capspace.

9 minutes ago, AHF said:

He is an idiot if he passed on Denver's 2019 first round pick so he could take a PG who has played 37 games the last two seasons combined for $12.5M this year.

$13.8 with the trade kicket.

7 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

Didnt have to be an oft injured PG at $13.8 mil who may not even be ready to start the season.

4 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Sean Marks was probably stifling laughter as he talked to Slink.

Every GM in the league is probably burning up Slink's phone tryna get him to deal.  SMDH

Marks has won all of his trades.:beach:

I really can't see this being more of a marketing ploy for Duluth, Doraville and Johns Creek residents at this point.

Lol way to call them out ...I too believe this is all a marketing move sadly. 

I’m hoping schlenk has another trade on the table though. Cause I’m not so sure Lin is still getting Asian fans out the door abc in the arena.