• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Schlenksanity! Lin to the Hawks...for what?

lethalweapon3

• Moderators
6 hours ago, GameTime said:

I think what is getting lost in the shuffle is the right to swap 1st rounders in 2023. If we progress the way we should by then and Prokhorov continues to be the terrible owner that he is we are talking a guaranteed top 10 pick here at least. This was Schlenk's best trade. Great move. I really like Lin. And Lin playing the 2 is way more realistic than Dennis.

I think this is clear by now but we get the right to swap 2nd rounders not 1st rounders.  The upside you are talking about isn't there.

Do agree for the games he plays (which may not be many if the last few years are an indication) that Lin is a better fit to play the 2 than Dennis.

1 hour ago, thecampster said:

Because we don't want that space till next year.  This move (regardless of what happens to Dennis) is cap neutral for next year. But it gives us options midseason, a tutor and even free agent worth a rip isn't signing for less than 4 years. This gets us a vet piece for 1 year, maintaining that space.

So, when did things change suddenly from the team wanting to collect assets to now using the cap space the team needed to be able to get those assets (see the Denver trade with Brooklyn) to bring on a vet on an expiring deal when said vet isn't anyone that is going to help you win games?

Really, the only way this makes sense is if the Hawks either have a deal lined up to move Dennis, or they have a deal lined up to take on Carmelo's contract for a first(s) but needed Lin's contract to make that deal work.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, EazyRoc said:

I just find it funny that some of the same people crying that Schlenk didn’t make the deal with Denver are some of the same people who were adamantly against picking up Faried in exchange for a 1st. 

Who was adamantly against taking on Faried for a 1st? 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Thank you. That kind of talk is not even remotely funny.

Agreed ... and gifs.  Gifs aren't funny either.

6 minutes ago, EazyRoc said:

I just find it funny that some of the same people crying that Schlenk didn’t make the deal with Denver are some of the same people who were adamantly against picking up Faried in exchange for a 1st. 

Who are you talking about?  I don't recall folks being up in arms about acquiring Faried ... to get a 1st.  I think there were other reasons people weren't excited about that move.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, EazyRoc said:

Pray tell....who said that?

I don't remember that at all.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

OKC, GSW, Toronto, Washington, and Portland are still in the Luxury. It is a long season. Schlenk has made two trades already and the season has not even started.

He's made two trades and has not maximized the value out of either trade.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
55 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

Except if you trade Dennis' 3 years for Lin's 1 year and Lin is hurt during his 1 year, who are the PGs other than Trae? Where's the vet?  

Does it matter?

2 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

OKC, GSW, Toronto, Washington, and Portland are still in the Luxury. It is a long season. Schlenk has made two trades already and the season has not even started.

Three. We moved pick 34 for two future second round picks.

5 minutes ago, EazyRoc said:

Give me some time. I’ll have to run a search, but when this topic came up a few weeks ago (before the draft for 14) there were a couple of people sour on the idea. 

I remember now.  The problem wasn't simply trading for Faried and a 1st.  The issue was in swapping 19 and 14 when, in reality, you can acquire Faried without swapping 1sts. 

That was the issue and, as this trade illustrates, the folks against swapping were indeed right.

1 minute ago, KB21 said:

He's made two trades and has not maximized the value out of either trade.

Preach.  Hope Larry Riley can help him not keep getting fleeced.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, kg01 said:

I remember now.  The problem wasn't simply trading for Faried and a 1st.  The issue was in swapping 19 and 14 when, in reality, you can acquire Faried without swapping 1sts. 

That was the issue and, as this trade illustrates, the folks against swapping were indeed right.

That was it.

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, sturt said:

Does it matter?

IMO, you can find a fill-in with experience without too much difficulty.  

I am waiting to see even if Dennis is moved whether it is truly connected to this trade or not.  If we move Dennis then I don't combine the trades unless there is something about this trade that made the Dennis move possible other than getting another PG on the roster for us.  We traded a first round pick (Denver) for Lin so that is judged on its own merits unless Schlenk makes another move that this one was a necessary predicate for.

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Image result for hammer nail

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Why couldn't he have taken the Denver deal and sign a cheap PG? A 1st AND a 2nd.

Maybe he did not want to eat all of his cap space. We still 13 million in cap space. That gives us flexibility for this upcoming year in terms of trades along with SAC

4 minutes ago, kg01 said:

3 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

That was it.

Nah I just went back. There was someone literally against this very trade because we had “too many picks”. I won’t call em out, but I knew I remembered someone saying that. Maybe I went overboard with adamantly and people, but yeah..

Just now, JayBirdHawk said:

Something else doesn't make sense, at the deadline - Schtink said the only deals he got for Beli and Illy was taking on 2 year deals for a 2nd (Bayless and a 2nd). But yet he just took Lin at $13.8 mil for a A VERY DISTANT 2nd when Bayless is $9mil.

Me thinks Schtink is getting taken to the cleaners.

Side eye watching.

Actually we traded the 2020 POR 2nd as well. We got 2023 and 2025 2nd from Brooklyn

• Premium Member
Just now, EazyRoc said:

Nah I just went back. There was someone literally against this very trade because we had “too many picks”. I won’t call em out, but I knew I remembered someone saying that. Maybe I went overboard with adamantly and people, but yeah..

Post the link please, I'll happily call them out :er:

• Like 1