• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Schlenksanity! Lin to the Hawks...for what?

lethalweapon3

6 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I remember now.  The problem wasn't simply trading for Faried and a 1st.  The issue was in swapping 19 and 14 when, in reality, you can acquire Faried without swapping 1sts. 

That was the issue and, as this trade illustrates, the folks against swapping were indeed right.

Preach.  Hope Larry Riley can help him not keep getting fleeced.

Denver never had the 2018 1st on the table. They wanted to keep that pick.

1 minute ago, EazyRoc said:

Nah I just went back. There was someone literally against this very trade because we had “too many picks”. I won’t call em out, but I knew I remembered someone saying that. Maybe I went overboard with adamantly and people, but yeah..

Heh.  See, the problem is, if you don't call them out the rest of us will think you're makin' it up.

Your move, bro.

The biggest issue with the draft is information get misconstrued. Once the draft ends, you ask why didn't this happen only to find out, the player being available doesn't equal for the value people are posting. Denver wanted to keep that pick. They wanted to get rid of Arthur and Faried but they wanted to keep that pick. 

They wanted either Porter Jr. Or Walker IV

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Maybe he did not want to eat all of his cap space. We still 13 million in cap space. That gives us flexibility for this upcoming year in terms of trades along with SAC

We have $8 mill unless we drop Cleveland and Morris. Unless he does something with the capspace its a bad deal for a 7 year 2nd.

3 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Actually we traded the 2020 POR 2nd as well. We got 2023 and 2025 2nd from Brooklyn

What are you referencing? I understand the terms of the Lin deal, and its a pick swap in 2023.

If we had traded for Beli or Illy to Philly at the deadline we would have had 2-×nd from Philly and Bayless and $9 mil. Instead we have Lin at $13.8 mil.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, EazyRoc said:

Page 15 of the locked FAcy thread.

You talkin 'bout @Peoriabird?  He doesn't even really say he's against the trade, just preferred Chandler.  Unless I'm missing something.

I'm giving you some major side-eye right now, Eaz.

Better than side-boob, I guess.

I'm totally fine with this trade IF there is another trade to move Dennis and get another point guard.  As mentioned that way we only pay Lin this year so that we're aren't as cash strapped the next year or two down the road which is when I think we'll make our FA moves.

Jeremy will have an impact even if he isn't on the floor much.  He isn't super talented but he is very smart with a good work ethic.

I don't mind giving the keys to Trae out of the gate and I think the Hawks brass saw enough of Trae in summer league to feel comfortable doing that.  Throw him in the fire, I think he's confident enough to handle the bumps along the way.

• Moderators
Just now, AUhawksfan said:

I'm totally fine with this trade IF there is another trade to move Dennis and get another point guard.  As mentioned that way we only pay Lin this year so that we're aren't as cash strapped the next year or two down the road which is when I think we'll make our FA moves.

Jeremy will have an impact even if he isn't on the floor much.  He isn't super talented but he is very smart with a good work ethic.

I don't mind giving the keys to Trae out of the gate and I think the Hawks brass saw enough of Trae in summer league to feel comfortable doing that.  Throw him in the fire, I think he's confident enough to handle the bumps along the way.

If we deal Dennis and get another point guard will having Len really be worth giving up Denver's 2019 first round pick?  Really?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

We have $8 mill unless we drop Cleveland and Morris. Unless he does something with the capspace its a bad deal for a 7 year 2nd.

What are you referencing? I understand the terms of the Lin deal, and its a pick swap in 2023.

If we had traded for Beli or Illy to Philly at the deadline we would have had 2-×nd from Philly and Bayless and $9 mil. Instead we have Lin at $13.8 mil.

My bad, I was going by what Viv said.

https://www.ajc.com/sports/basketball/report-hawks-acquire-lin-trade-with-nets/CtW5YkLx8LqjcsolweOcxL/

https://www.ajc.com/sports/basketball/schlenk-our-free-agency-going-trades/skFwgEP4gE0L5qSmXliRrN/amp.html

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, kg01 said:

You talkin 'bout @Peoriabird?  He doesn't even really say he's against the trade, just preferred Chandler.  Unless I'm missing something.

I'm giving you some major side-eye right now, Eaz.

Better than side-boob, I guess.

Nah, wasn't Peo, look who he responded to.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

Quote from the first article you posted:

The Hawks will still have approximately $8.5 million is salary cap space after the deal for Lin. 

6 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

The biggest issue with the draft is information get misconstrued. Once the draft ends, you ask why didn't this happen only to find out, the player being available doesn't equal for the value people are posting. Denver wanted to keep that pick. They wanted to get rid of Arthur and Faried but they wanted to keep that pick. 

Their targets were Porter Jr and Zhaire Smith.

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I was find in taking a 2019 pick from Denver, I wasn't intrested in a pick swap 19 for 14.

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, EazyRoc said:

Page 15 of the locked FAcy thread.

Look at our community - there is always someone who dislikes a move regardless of what that move is.  We could have signed LeBron this offseason and we'd have more people complaining about it than who would have complained about taking a first round pick from Denver.  Can't let the few on the fringe color the view of the Squawk as a whole.

1 minute ago, AHF said:

Quote from the first article you posted:

"General manager Travis Schlenk told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution that he would use the trade market, not free agency, to continue to build the roster with approximately $20 million in salary cap space. Schlenk said he planned to use the cap space to take on expiring contracts in an effort to gain more assets." 

this is what I was referencing

• Premium Member

14 minutes ago, EazyRoc said:

Nah I just went back. There was someone literally against this very trade because we had “too many picks”. I won’t call em out, but I knew I remembered someone saying that. Maybe I went overboard with adamantly and people, but yeah..

I thought four rookies was overboard but I was always good with moving up. We ended up moving 34; so we ended up with three rookies.

• Moderators
Just now, NBASupes said:

"General manager Travis Schlenk told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution that he would use the trade market, not free agency, to continue to build the roster with approximately $20 million in salary cap space. Schlenk said he planned to use the cap space to take on expiring contracts in an effort to gain more assets." 

We had that space before we took on Lin's salary.  $20-$12 = $8.

1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

Yet, he didn't get a single quality asset for taking on Lin's contract.

• Like 2