News and Notes: Updated between Games

JayBirdHawk

• Moderators
14 hours ago, terrell said:

Just being honest. lol.  Paul George looks washed..

Not only has he lost it mentally but there is a serious lack of effort.  I hope he's watching tape.  

And both he and Kawhi seem to be playing too cool for school anyway.   What the hell, kawhi has hardaway on him and decides to take a fadeaway three at the buzzer.  He'd been driving all game?   

Watching the Playoffs is giving me some more ideas of what we need from our guys, or via outside addition, to become contenders.

Obviously, better defense, especially from Trae/Kev/JC. 

We need a post scorer/creator: Either Dre or JC have to be a threat to post up and draw fouls, make tough shots, as well as pass from the post. This may be the single most noticeable skill we lack that all the "elite teams" have. If Trae was 6 inches taller and 40lbs heavier this would be him all day. But he is who he is, and the guys with size and strength are the best fit for this role. Dre is great in iso as it is, and he is really good in the post against mismatches. Lets see if he can get stronger to bang with defensive stopper types, and work on his vision to find his teammates once the double comes. JC is a very underrated post player that can make tough shots down low as is. I dont see him being a creator from the post but if he can improve, watch out. If not them, we have to bring that type of player in.

Fast Break: We need to get out more often and attack the defense while they are on their heels. Draws more fouls, gets easy looks at the rim or FT line,  and really stresses the opposition defensively. Cam is a natural in transition, I hope they let him run the break more often instead of passing back to Trae to bring it up. If the shot isnt there on the break then we can always pass out and run our sets, but Cam should be pushing the ball full tilt and let Trae and Kev trail for easier open looks.

Shooting: I want Kev Heurter to master his 3 point stroke. I know we want him to be complete, but if he can become elite from 3 and hunt that shot as much as possible, it will strike fear in to our opponents and open up a lot for this offense. PDS is great when one of those skills is at an elite level. We have a lot of shooting with this team, but he needs to become the marksman that teams scheme for and cannot leave alone. The Clips were absolutely terrified of Seth Curry and Prozingas to the point their entire defense was falling apart and fouling as a result.

These things in addition to the uptempo, high scoring PNR  offense we already have will be game changers that allow us to play any style and be able to compete in tight situations late. Trae is magic, now its time for more Grit and Wit on that end of the floor

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Not only has he lost it mentally but there is a serious lack of effort.  I hope he's watching tape.  

And both he and Kawhi seem to be playing too cool for school anyway.   What the hell, kawhi has hardaway on him and decides to take a fadeaway three at the buzzer.  He'd been driving all game?   

I don't agree with that Kawhi was carrying the Clippers along with Lou Williams.  He made one bad play, but Kawhi was not playing with a lack of effort or anything like that.  Bad decision down the stretch on that shot.

On another note. Playoff Matchups

I like to watch these series and imagine how would we scheme against these guys if we were in the dance.

For instance, against the Lakers, would Capella guard his position or would we have him on the better big in AD and leave JC on McGee and Dwight off the bench?

Who would we put on Giannis, and would Trae be the one chasing Kyle around the court on defense while the other wings guard the young legs?

Could we just go small ball with the Celtics, Dre on Tatum, Cam on Jaylen, but then who on Kemba?

Who is our defensive stopper down the stretch. For example, who is guarding Lebron/Kawhi? Do Cam and Dre just take turns?

Last shot, ball in Trae's hand at midcourt, double comes, what is our plan next? Who gets the shot at the buzzer if the ball is not in Trae's hands?

These are some things I think about. Can't wait for our next run in the postseason

• Moderators
Just now, marco102 said:

I don't agree with that Kawhi was carrying the Clippers along with Lou Williams.  He made one bad play, but Kawhi was not playing with a lack of effort or anything like that.  Bad decision down the stretch on that shot.

Yeah.  That's true.  I'm just pissed on that last play.  Honestly they should have decoyed Kawhi and let Lou score.  Either way someone has to drive.  

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Watching the Playoffs is giving me some more ideas of what we need from our guys, or via outside addition, to become contenders.

We need a post scorer/creator: Either Dre or JC have to be a threat to post up and draw fouls, make tough shots, as well as pass from the post. This may be the single most noticeable skill we lack that all the "elite teams" have. If Trae was 6 inches taller and 40lbs heavier this would be him all day. But he is who he is, and the guys with size and strength are the best fit for this role. Dre is great in iso as it is, and he is really good in the post against mismatches. Lets see if he can get stronger to bang with defensive stopper types, and work on his vision to find his teammates once the double comes. JC is a very underrated post player that can make tough shots down low as is. I dont see him being a creator from the post but if he can improve, watch out. If not them, we have to bring that type of player in.

Fast Break: We need to get out more often and attack the defense while they are on their heels. Draws more fouls, gets easy looks at the rim or FT line,  and really stresses the opposition defensively. Cam is a natural in transition, I hope they let him run the break more often instead of passing back to Trae to bring it up. If the shot isnt there on the break then we can always pass out and run our sets, but Cam should be pushing the ball full tilt and let Trae and Kev trail for easier open looks.

Shooting: I want Kev Heurter to master his 3 point stroke. I know we want him to be complete, but if he can become elite from 3 and hunt that shot as much as possible, it will strike fear in to our opponents and open up a lot for this offense. PDS is great when one of those skills is at an elite level. We have a lot of shooting with this team, but he needs to become the marksman that teams scheme for and cannot leave alone. The Clips were absolutely terrified of Seth Curry and Prozingas to the point their entire defense was falling apart and fouling as a result.

These things in addition to the uptempo, high scoring PNR  offense we already have will be game changers that allow us to play any style and be able to compete in tight situations late. Trae is magic, now its time for more Grit and Wit on that end of the floor

You made that way too complicated...The Hawks just need to stop turning the ball over, take better shots, Play a little defense and rebound the ball and they will win the majority of their games!  Its just that simple.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

You made that way too complicated...The Hawks just need to stop turning the ball over, take better shots, Play a little defense and rebound the ball and they will win the majority of their games!  Its just that simple.

I also think we need a bucket getter for the bench, a guy that can get his and not be always reliant on the PG creating the action. A player that if the play breaks down can make something out of nothing.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I also think we need a bucket getter for the bench, a guy that can get his and not be always reliant on the PG creating the action. A player that if the play breaks down can make something out of nothing.

You're right...We can't have a bunch of Bembrys and Carters on the bench but if our current talent takes care of business and LP really coaches them like he should have over the last 2 years, we should easily win more games than we lose.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Caris LeVert? Zach LaVine? Jordan Clarkson? 

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, marco102 said:

Caris Lavert? Zach Lavine?

Per Supes, Bulls are asking for too much for Lavine and he doesn't see himself as a bench player.

Something bothers me about Lavert's game - can't quite put my finger on it. But if The Nets are looking for a salary dump......ooohhh...he's making quite a bit $16,$17, 18+.

2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Per Supes, Bulls are asking for too much for Lavine and he doesn't see himself as a bench player.

Something bothers me about Lavert's game - can't quite put my finger on it.

Yeah, I added Jordan Clarkson to the list.  Zach would probably have to be a starter, but if his ass ain't playing defense to the bench he shall reside.

I think Laver would  be a great back up though.  I don't think he' have a problem with that role. 

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, marco102 said:

Yeah, I added Jordan Clarkson to the list.  Zach would probably have to be a starter, but if his ass ain't playing defense to the bench he shall reside.

I think Laver would  be a great back up though.  I don't think he' have a problem with that role. 

I added Lavert's salary. $16-18 mil for 3 year for a bench role os pricy. Good call on Clarkson.

1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

That is simple, but we are talking about 2 different things. I dont disagree with what you said to win games.

I was referring to defined roles on a contender and then winning IN the playoffs. Im thinking ahead of the curve a bit, but its very relevant. Most teams re-build and focus only on winning now, but then realize they dont have the right mix of guys to actually matchup with teams in the post season and get bounced early.

Playoff basketball is the one time of year you start to see coaches play the game within the game, and the alpha start separating themselves from the wannabe's.

Im looking at our young core through the lense of defined roles we need on this roster that they can develop outside of the usual, "Oh Kev needs to be a better secondary passer, Oh John needs to work on ball handling."

A post scorer/passer is all but required in big games (Kobe, Jordan, Lebron, Kawhi, cough Iso-Joe cough) , we don't have one

Kev is a good young player that will soon become a vet without a signature role. Him developing an elite skill to go along with his other decent skills is huge for both him and US.

Since HS, Cam has shown he can thrive on the fast break, and us highlighting that will continue to unlock his complete game. Plus, its something we haven't really had since maybe the 08" Hawks team. Remember Lebron's Heat, they would destroy teams off the fast break alone. Its a huge momentum booster that can overwhelm opponents.

TL/DR- I get it, but its a very relevant topic

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Hitting midrange jumpers is also important. Looks like Trae, Cam, Dre, and John can do that to an extent as well.

• Like 1

With the 76ers dropping out of the playoffs, they have let their head coach go.  Big shakeup expected in their front office.  Guess that means they will want to do stuff to their players also.

Hawks will be ready to assist them, if the price is right!!

:search:

Philly really goofed up their rebuild.  Brown took over in 2013, their draft picks were:

13' MCW

14' Embiid

15' Okafor

16' Simmons

17' Fultz

They also acquired Dario Saric and Robert Covington along the way.

Yet here we are in 2020. Only 2 of those guys are left and they may not even fit together in the end. 

We will see what happens next but all that losing and talent acquisition to become relevant again, just to be cash strapped and possibly have to blow it all up in a year.

This time last year we were talking about how Embiid waa going to take a leap as player and come back with a vengeance. Then, boom, 1st round sweep, Head coach fired. No cap room in sight.

YEEESH

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, aali34 said:

Hitting midrange jumpers is also important. Looks like Trae, Cam, Dre, and John can do that to an extent as well.

John is really good and confident in the midrange, but its been coached out of him in the league. He mentioned in an interview once that his mid range jumper is always there in his bag if we need it, but thats not how the league plays anymore.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Philly really goofed up their rebuild.  Brown took over in 2013, their draft picks were:

13' MCW

14' Embiid

15' Okafor

16' Simmons

17' Fultz

They also acquired Dario Saric and Robert Covington along the way.

Yet here we are in 2020. Only 2 of those guys are left and they may not even fit together in the end. 

We will see what happens next but all that losing and talent acquisition to become relevant again, just to be cash strapped and possibly have to blow it all up in a year.

This time last year we were talking about how Embiid waa going to take a leap as player and come back with a vengeance. Then, boom, 1st round sweep, Head coach fired. No cap room in sight.

YEEESH

It’s what happens when you get impatient with the established strategy and bring in not one but two questionable GMs that quickly worked to squander away most of the assets and flexibility acquired by the original GM. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1