• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Nets

lethalweapon3

8 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Collins is playing his way out of the 'core' for me.

Plays like he's 6'6" a lot.  Am I wrong?

Im torn on Collins. If we had traded for Drummond, I think a PF like Gallanari might fit better. But I could be wrong. Collins shot has improved...IM not advocating moving Collins. Just sayin..Trae and Cam are my keepers right now. ON potential alone..That Hunter trade up is looking worse by the day imo..Id much rather have 8 17 and 31, Cleveland pick back. He'll be a good player though i think, but we gave up ALOT....We couldve had Hayes, Cam, and Clarke for example. Hopefully De'andre proves me wrong..

Edited by terrell

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, bleachkit said:

We are also bad with him, but at least with him, it's watchable and entertaining at times.

We are bad with only him at times. We are okay with him, plus a healthy Huerter and an active Collins. They are all young and need some help. Vince is nice and all, but we are expecting what should be college students to win in the NBA.

I agree with the entertainment part..it makes it somewhat better.

1 minute ago, Buzzard said:

I have never liked the thought of Bembry as a primary offensive option. Him going off spells doom to me. I do like Cam had a good game but we needed so much more from Collins, Huerter, and Hunter.

I am very sorry for Bruno's loss but maybe this will be a wake up call for Pierce that he is a player worth starting the rest of the season. Develop him LP. Its time, the season is over, and its why we hired you. 11.9 minutes a game while Carter and Jones are combining for 31.9 ain't getting it!

Not just stating, because he was starting before his mother passed away . . . but extending his minutes.  At this point, it's no sense in acting like Bruno's play is such a detriment to the team, that he shouldn't be playing.  When he comes back, it's time to start playing him 20+ minutes a night at the Center AND Power Forward spots.

Frontcourt minutes rotation ( no Parker )

PF - Collins ( 32 ) - Bruno ( 8 ) - Vince ( 8 ) . . . because we know that's where LP will play him

C - Bruno ( 16 ) - Len ( 24 ) - Jones ( 8 )

Frontcourt minutes rotation ( w/Parker )

PF - Collins ( 30 ) - Parker ( 18 )

C - Bruno ( 24 ) - Len ( 24 )

No more Hunter, or Vince, or Crabbe at the 4.  And no more Collins at the 5.

Chuck the small ball offense and develop something that gets the ball more into the paint or the post.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

If you would have told me Cam and Bembry combined for 12 threes and we made half of them, I would have said we have a shot tonight. We lost by 22 and shot 25% from three. 

BKN 62 rebounds, ATL 33 rebounds.  33% overall FG, 25% from 3.    No, we don't need a rebounder.  We don't need shooters.  We don't need a good backup PG. 

Schlenk is GM of the year.  LP is coach of the year.

I never thought I would ever speak these words, but I'd even be good with Mark Jackson as head coach at this point.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

Collins is playing his way out of the 'core' for me.

Plays like he's 6'6" a lot.  Am I wrong?

Y’all forget how much his game depends on Trae..He’s can have good games, but he needs someone feeding him the ball. He’s not really a creator.

2 minutes ago, cam1218 said:

We are bad with only him at times. We are okay with him, plus a healthy Huerter and an active Collins. They are all young and need some help. Vince is nice and all, but we are expecting what should be college students to win in the NBA.

I agree with the entertainment part..it makes it somewhat better.

The reason why the "young" excuse doesn't work, is because a team like Memphis is really getting it done right now.  5 wins in a row.  6 of their last 7.  12 of their last 18.  And this after starting 6 - 16.  They're 18 - 22 now and have the #8 seed in the West.

They have 7 rotation players who are under the age of 24.  The difference with them is that they have competent vets. 

4 minutes ago, EazyRoc said:

Y’all forget how much his game depends on Trae..He’s can have good games, but he needs someone feeding him the ball. He’s not really a creator.

He's only playing small because LP is playing him out of position.  When he plays at the 4, he is fine.

1 hour ago, terrell said:

Im torn on Collins. If we had traded for Drummond, I think a PF like Gallanari might fit better. But I could be wrong. Collins shot has improved...IM not advocating moving Collins. Just sayin..Trae and Cam are my keepers right now. ON potential alone..That Hunter trade up is looking worse by the day imo..Id much rather have 8 17 and 31, Cleveland pick back. He'll be a good player though i think, but we gave up ALOT....We couldve had Hayes, Cam, and Clarke for example. Hopefully De'andre proves me wrong..

Eh...Hunter is someone you have to be patient with too. He’s not as young as Cam, but he came from a structured, well-coached team were he had a defined role to this dumpster fire. I’ve seen flashes of scoring potential on par (more consistent though) with Cam. He has a real “suddenness” about him and knows what he’s going to do. 

Hes totally disappointed me defensively, BUT I think he can still improve here and would benefit from better chemistry and teammates. He doesn’t have that quick twitch ability like Cam, but at least in college, he was a much more polished defender.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, EazyRoc said:

Eh...Hunter is someone you have to be patient with too. He’s not as young as Cam, but he came from a structured, well-coached team were he had a defined role to this dumpster fire. I’ve seen flashes of scoring potential on par (more consistent though) with Cam. He has a real “suddenness” about him and knows what he’s going to do. 

Hes totally disappointed me defensively, BUT I think he can still improve here and would benefit from better chemistry and teammates. He doesn’t have that quick twitch ability like Cam, but at least in college, he was a much more polished defender.

I like HUnter, I just dont think he was worth what we gave up for him. .I Hope IM wrong though..WE needed wings, so I kinda get it..But still..

Edited by terrell

2 minutes ago, terrell said:

I like HUnter, I just dont think he was worth what we gave up for him. .I Hope IM wrong though..WE needed wings though, so I kinda get it..But still..

He's been AWOL on the offensive end lately. He has some skills though, but for whatever reason he hasn't taken many shots.

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

The reason why the "young" excuse doesn't work, is because a team like Memphis is really getting it done right now.  5 wins in a row.  6 of their last 7.  12 of their last 18.  And this after starting 6 - 16.  They're 18 - 22 now and have the #8 seed in the West.

They have 7 rotation players who are under the age of 24.  The difference with them is that they have competent vets. 

He's only playing small because LP is playing him out of position.  When he plays at the 4, he is fine.

How many games have their best players missed? Don’t get me wrong, I’ve been very impressed with them this year. Compared to us, they have had much better luck with players being healthy. 

Looking at our situation, it goes beyond games played. Once some of our players start to get some rhythm in their game, they get hurt (or suspended) and have to reset. 

Memphis has 

Jae Crowder

Big Val

Kyle Anderson

Tyus Jones 

Solo Hill, thanks Travis 

Those are quality vets and their highest paid players 

Hawks have

VC

Crabbe

Parsons

Turner

The rest are on a rookie deal or a cheap deal young vet deal. We don't have any vets. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Memphis has 

Jae Crowder

Big Val

Kyle Anderson

Tyus Jones 

Solo Hill, thanks Travis 

Those are quality vets and their highest paid players 

Hawks have

VC

Crabbe

Parsons

Turner

The rest are on a rookie deal or a cheap deal young vet deal. We don't have any vets. 

Valanciunas has been excellent for them. Those were the type of smart signings we made during Ferry's time here. We haven't signed a quality vet in years.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Once again, Hunter was a PF at Virginia. It was always going to take a full season for him to adjust.

Unless Hunter puts on some weight and becomes a heavier type player in the mold of Joe Johnson, hes's not going to be able to play the 4 in this league.  He's not a battler and a banger, when it comes to fighting for rebounds or playing tough defense inside of 15 feet.  It is unfair to him to keep asking him to keep trying to guard athletic and/or heavier 6-9  or 6-10 guys, especially when he's not a freakish athlete.

LP wants him to play with effort and be able to guard and rebound.  But even in college, rebounding wasn't his forte.  He's a very solid player, but he's not a physical one.

4 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Unless Hunter puts on some weight and becomes a heavier type player in the mold of Joe Johnson, hes's not going to be able to play the 4 in this league.  He's not a battler and a banger, when it comes to fighting for rebounds or playing tough defense inside of 15 feet.  It is unfair to him to keep asking him to keep trying to guard athletic and/or heavier 6-9  or 6-10 guys, especially when he's not a freakish athlete.

LP wants him to play with effort and be able to guard and rebound.  But even in college, rebounding wasn't his forte.  He's a very solid player, but he's not a physical one.

The Hawks see him as a wing guarding 2-3 but able to potentially switch to 4/5 like Leonard can do on switches. 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

The Hawks see him as a wing guarding 2-3 but able to potentially switch to 4/5 like Leonard can do on switches. 

That's a mistake then.  Leonard is a much more stronger and physical player than Hunter, even when you compare their rookie years.

Hunter may end up being a better offensive player, than a defensive one. But even rookie Kawhi was super strong and active in the paint on both ends.

5 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

That's a mistake then.  Leonard is a much more stronger and physical player than Hunter, even when you compare their rookie years.

Hunter may end up being a better offensive player, than a defensive one. But even rookie Kawhi was super strong and active in the paint on both ends.

He played for like a power (PF) and Hunter plays like a high BBIQ finesse one. Still the goals are the same. They want Hunter to guard 2-3 and be able to handle switches with 4-5. Right now, he's fine with the switches but he struggles to guard 2-3. Leonard that year had issues guarding 2-3 as well. The difference is, he was excellent at stocks and he had superior teammates in every shape and fashion. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kg01 said:

So what do y'all watch, instead of the game, on a night like this?

I watched Forged in Fire episodes.

I recorded the game and as soon as I turned on the TV the guy on the news said something like, "Brooklyn dismantled the Hawks, but when we come back we'll show you the reception Vince Carter got." 

In this case I appreciated the spoiler. That box score is ugly.

• Haha 2