• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Let's Talk Draft Picks

AHF

34 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Paul Reed is my later round Sap sleeper. Kid has FEEL for days. He looks like a quicker Millsap I dig.

If we trade down, I want it to be for Haliburton or Bey. Both have a great chance to make it in the league and both would fill voids in our lineup. I think Bey has a similar game to Taurean Prince but a better defender.

Reed's aggregate is 33rd. Three sites have him in the top 25 and three have him at 40 or later. Draft Net skewed Bey's pretty bad by having him at 41st. No on else has him outside of 21st.

https://hoopshype.com/2020/04/04/2020-aggregate-nba-mock-draft-5-0-international-prospects-are-rising/

• Premium Member

Question...I know Travis Schlenk said he's not really interested in more 19/20 year olds besides our own 2020 1st, but if there is a possibility that TS decides to acquire another mid-teens pick and if that's the case...who would be that player? Who are the players in that range do you like if it happens.

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Question...I know Travis Schlenk said he's not really interested in more 19/20 year olds besides our own 2020 1st, but if there is a possibility that TS decides to acquire another mid-teens pick and if that's the case...who would be that player? Who are the players in that range do you like if it happens.

Aaron Nesmith

Saddiq Bey

Patrick Williams

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Spud, I just commented on and asked a question about this guy after watching him this morning, and now I see you already know about this kid. Aaron Nesmith is a baller. I like him better than all of the supposedly top 8 picks.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, TRW said:

Spud, I just commented on and asked a question about this guy after watching him this morning, and now I see you already know about this kid. Aaron Nesmith is a baller. I like him better than all of the supposedly top 8 picks.

Ya definitely seem to be some good late finds in the draft. Mid to late first but could be a steal for sure. Shooting a D, I don’t mind.

This kid reminds me of Klay Thompson at Washington St. Only difference I see is he has better handles and can get to the basket. I really hope he's 6-6, colleges are known for giving guys an extra inch or two.

7 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

If he could get Jahmi’us Ramsey with that pick, he’d be the guy to take.  I’d also strongly consider Aleksej Pokusevski.  

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

PAUL REED -

This is my Paul Millsap sleeper type. This guy has “feel” for days. @NBASupes I don’t want you badmouthing my boy 👦 He’s the chosen one!

DO IT ALL PAUL IS BACK!!! 😉 

I’m a big Paul Reed fan.  If we had a later pick in the first round, I’d be all over him for that pick.  He will end up producing better than many that get drafted before him.  

I also like Tyler Bey from Colorado.  

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

PAUL REED -

This is my Paul Millsap sleeper type. This guy has “feel” for days. @NBASupes I don’t want you badmouthing my boy 👦 He’s the chosen one!

DO IT ALL PAUL IS BACK!!! 😉 

Add me to the I don't see it with Paul Reed club. All you gotta do is watch a number of full games of DePaul and you come unimpressed with his consistency, he didn't produce against better comp like he did against comp that wasn't good and he just never felt like more than a college high end player at the end of the day overall.

Millsap at LA Tech was always a star college player. Even if he never was a superstar. 

Reed would constantly jump from star to high end role player at this level. I tend to be on the same page with Vecenie on Reed. Clear 2nd rounder but he's a player that does have value. Shakes from RealGM has a decent write up on Reed who's a DePaul alum

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Millsap at LA Tech was always a star college player. Even if he never was a superstar. 

No Millsap was a superstar in college. Didn’t he lead the NCAA in rebounding two or three straight years? That’s a superstar for sure in college.

Kind of down with you being down on Paul. I was hoping you were ridin with him.

4 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Shakes

By the way, who is this guy? 😂 I see him over there and he acts like he knows me and says Spud is on the moonshine early and jokes around but I’m not sure who he is? 

Is he in squawk land too? 

I know Schlenk isn’t in on Wiseman according to Kirschner especially since we have capela now but MAN!....I really love wisemans speed! It’s incredible! When he’s running full speed I think he’s  just as fast as Giannis but taller with more length. I don’t know if he can run like this with the ball in his hands however but if he ever learns it’s going to be a big problem dealing with him in the nba. I’m not saying draft the kid just because of his speed ....just saying I’m highly impressed with his speed at this height. 
It’s one of those can’t believe moments...there’s not many 7 footers in nba history that I know of outside of Giannis and Wilt Chamberlain that seems actually fast.

running the floor is something many bigs are capable of but this kid can really get up the court. You can tell in the 3 or 4 games he played in college he jogged on a lot of the breaks but still got ahead...if I was to make one bold prediction for Wiseman it would be that ...He’s going to surprise teams in transition Day 1. You can’t teach speed like this and you also wouldn’t think a 7 footer would get down the floor like this .

• Like 1

• Premium Member
44 minutes ago, JTB said:

I know Schlenk isn’t in on Wiseman according to Kirschner especially since we have capela now but MAN!....I really love wisemans speed! It’s incredible! When he’s running full speed I think he’s  just as fast as Giannis but taller with more length. I don’t know if he can run like this with the ball in his hands however but if he ever learns it’s going to be a big problem dealing with him in the nba. I’m not saying draft the kid just because of his speed ....just saying I’m highly impressed with his speed at this height. 
It’s one of those can’t believe moments...there’s not many 7 footers in nba history that I know of outside of Giannis and Wilt Chamberlain that seems actually fast.

running the floor is something many bigs are capable of but this kid can really get up the court. You can tell in the 3 or 4 games he played in college he jogged on a lot of the breaks but still got ahead...if I was to make one bold prediction for Wiseman it would be that ...He’s going to surprise teams in transition Day 1. You can’t teach speed like this and you also wouldn’t think a 7 footer would get down the floor like this .

He will be better than Capela!

1 hour ago, JTB said:

His speed and athleticism are fine.  His feel and skill level are both below average though.  He doesn’t know how to use his athleticism and length on defense.  He’s a non shooter at this point.  He’s a traditional big in a league where your bigs either need to be strong rim protectors or stretch fives.  

4 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

By the way, who is this guy? 😂 I see him over there and he acts like he knows me and says Spud is on the moonshine early and jokes around but I’m not sure who he is? 

Is he in squawk land too? 

I don't think so

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JTB said:

TS wasn't a fan of Wiseman for awhile. That's why they perused Drummond, Adams, and Capela. 

• Premium Member

Latest from Schlenk on the draft:

“I feel like we’ve talked to every player in college basketball,” Schlenk said when asked about the progress of those meetings. “Ours usually last between 30 to 45 minutes. We haven’t interviewed any player twice up until this point. We have set up as many interviews as we can. We probably do 12 a week or so. Usually, we do four days a week. So about 16 guys, but we probably average around 12 or 13.”

One of the biggest differences between remote meetings and in-person conversations is not being able to get a good read on body language and facial expressions.

In our sit-down interview with head coach Lloyd Pierce last summer, he spoke about how important those one-on-one meetings with prospects are because he’s able to get a feel on that prospect almost instantly. That feedback is passed on to Schlenk, vice president of basketball operations Rod Higgins, director of player personnel Mike McNeive and other decision-makers. The Hawks obviously don’t make their draft selections solely based on those meetings, but the meetings are part of the puzzle that is debated ad nauseam until the selection is made.

The online meetings the Hawks have conducted so far average around 18 members of the organization listening in on Zoom with the draft prospect. That seems like a lot, but it could end up being a benefit because the organization does value the opinions of everyone involved in the process and no one person’s feedback holds more weight in the decision-making process than the next, although Schlenk, ultimately, has the final call on the selection. But before he ends up making the pick, players are discussed at length for hours, days and weeks.

https://theathletic.com/1835677/2020/05/26/we-would-play-our-guys-travis-schlenk-on-hawks-prep-ahead-of-possible-return?source=user-shared-article

• Like 3

Some notes from Chad Ford's big board.... TIFWIW, just fodder for discussion ... claims this is based on what teams have been saying, not his own assessment:

- Ball is top prospect due to elite passing ability.  Edwards second due to athleticism - higher risk due to lack of feel for game.

- Had Devin Vassell at 4, iirc.  Interesting.

- Rest of top 8 or so all the usuals, Wiseman, Okongwu, Haliburton, etc.

- Ranks Patrick Williams higher than most I've seen.

- Ranks Nesmith in his top 10

- Rates Kira Lewis over Cole Anthony, who's actually older than Lewis.  Both more scorers than pg's.

- Ranks Deni outside of top 14, poor shooting is red flag.  Expected to play a role, not be a star.  Saric has "done more" at this point than Deni.  Many teams feel he's overhyped.

- Ranks Paul Reed 16, admitted some teams don't have him in 1st round.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Some notes from Chad Ford's big board.... TIFWIW, just fodder for discussion ... claims this is based on what teams have been saying, not his own assessment:

- Ball is top prospect due to elite passing ability.  Edwards second due to athleticism - higher risk due to lack of feel for game.

- Had Devin Vassell at 4, iirc.  Interesting.

- Rest of top 8 or so all the usuals, Wiseman, Okongwu, Haliburton, etc.

- Ranks Patrick Williams higher than most I've seen.

- Ranks Nesmith in his top 10

- Rates Kira Lewis over Cole Anthony, who's actually older than Lewis.  Both more scorers than pg's.

- Ranks Deni outside of top 14, poor shooting is red flag.  Expected to play a role, not be a star.  Saric has "done more" at this point than Deni.  Many teams feel he's overhyped.

- Ranks Paul Reed 16, admitted some teams don't have him in 1st round.

Glad Chad is back.