• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Coaching!

Peoriabird

At the end of the day, if LP cannot win with Young, Collins, and Capela he will be fired.

Each players best seasons below.

Young, 29.6 and 9.3

Collins,  21.6 and 10.1

Capela, 16.6 and 12.7

This may not be a big three but they should compete for a 8th seed.

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
32 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

At the end of the day, if LP cannot win with Young, Collins, and Capela he will be fired.

In the mean time Trae and others continue to develop more bad habit which at some point will be hard to break.

• Like 1

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Or someone from his tree rather than Bret Brown's tree

Brett Brown

Brett Brown spent 11 years in San Antonio during two separate stints as an assistant coach under Gregg Popovich before taking the 76ers’ head job in 2013

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

Brett Brown spent 11 years in San Antonio during two separate stints as an assistant coach under Gregg Popovich before taking the 76ers’ head job in 2013

He must have been a poor student!

I think Jacques Vaughn is available if we want him.

1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

I'm becoming convinced that we should go hard after Popovich this summer.  

D'Antoni may be available after this season or next. He is getting a little long in the tooth but can you imagine his offense with Trae running it? Capela is here now to go along with Collins doing a phi slama jama impersonation.

Edited by Buzzard

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Buzzard said:

D'Antoni may be available after this season or next. He is getting a little long in the tooth but can you imagine his offense with Trae running it? Capela is here now to go along with Collins doing a phi slama jama impersonation.

If they sour on LP i actually could see them trying D'antoni.   Not sure i'm down for that though.   He's done much better in Houston that i expected though.    If you're worried about Trae developing bad habits though D'antoni might not be the best guy.  

7 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

If they sour on LP i actually could see them trying D'antoni.   Not sure i'm down for that though.   He's done much better in Houston that i expected though.    If you're worried about Trae developing bad habits though D'antoni might not be the best guy.  

I almost said this as a joke but he is experienced.

Houston's defense has improved but only for flashes during some seasons. CP3 may have more to do with that than the coach though. I am in the same boat with you on this, after his debacles with the Knicks and Lakers, I thought he was done.

Edited by Buzzard

I really doubt that you're ever going to see a true much lower usage Trae Young. A realistic target might be somewhere in between what he put up in his last 55 as a rookie and 19/20 with more assists. I do think that he probably knows that the team will be better off without him having to be as high usage as he was but he felt, especially with the things that were going on, that he had no choice at times for 19/20.

Averaging 24 and 10 sounds better to me than near 30 with less than 10 assists. That could translate to a closer to 30% usage instead of about 35. 

16 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I really doubt that you're ever going to see a true much lower usage Trae Young. A realistic target might be somewhere in between what he put up in his last 55 as a rookie and 19/20 with more assists. I do think that he probably knows that the team will be better off without him having to be as high usage as he was but he felt, especially with the things that were going on, that he had no choice at times for 19/20.

Averaging 24 and 10 sounds better to me than near 30 with less than 10 assists. That could translate to a closer to 30% usage instead of about 35. 

There is no doubt how Trae goes we go. But a little more depth and some growth by are draft picks should change that. We need to be good enough to win some games when Trae is not having a good to great night. Right now we barely win games when he does have a great night.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
35 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

28 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

I almost said this as a joke but he is experienced.

Houston's defense has improved but only for flashes during some seasons. CP3 may have more to do with that than the coach though. I am in the same boat with you on this, after his debacles with the Knicks and Lakers, I thought he was done.

......more small ball, more 3s, lots of Trae iso and no defense...sounds about right! Lol.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

......more small ball, more 3s, lots of Trae iso and no defense...sounds about right! Lol.

D'Antoni also coached the Suns in their hey day. Nash, JJ, Marion, Amare. He got a lot out of his role players on that team. Players like Leandro Barbosa, Jim Jackson, and Steven Hunter. Then after the JJ trade he found a great role for Boris Diaw. Quite honestly, what he did with Diaw made our coaching staff look clueless.

I would not sell him short but his stints with the Knicks and Lakers are a reason to cause me to pause.

Edited by Buzzard

• Premium Member

1211014463.jpeg

3. What’s happening with Lloyd Pierce?

Last week on Soaring Down South, we asked what the future holds for Atlanta Hawks head coach Lloyd Pierce and quite frankly… no one knows.

Related Story: What Does The Future Hold For Lloyd Pierce?

Lloyd Pierce seemingly hasn’t had the Atlanta Hawks playing to their potential, especially in terms of getting points in the win column. He’s seemingly done an excellent job of instilling confidence and developing the young players on the roster but it may be time to get a coach that knows how to win.

Although it’s still quite possible that Lloyd Pierce could take this Atlanta Hawks team to the next level, it doesn’t seem likely. It just doesn’t appear that Pierce has installed much in terms of a winning culture in Atlanta and so it may be time to bring in a coach that has won in the past.

Even though Pierce appeared to be on the hot seat at the time of the hiatus, it isn’t likely that teams are firing coaches now due to the circumstances. The coronavirus may have given Pierce one more season in Atlanta to prove himself.

If it is the case that Lloyd Pierce gets another chance, let’s hope he can prove himself by taking this team to the NBA playoffs.

https://soaringdownsouth.com/2020/04/23/atlanta-hawks-5-questions-will-left-unanswered-season-cancelled/4/

Watching TheLastDance Bulls documentary and them talking about the different in coaching mentality between Doug Collins and Phil Jackson/Tex Winters is amazing and what I be saying on here

U are NOT winning anything in this league by allowing a player to be an over dribbling, super ball dominant to completely halt your offense. Sadly the Hawks think that is a winning brand of basketball

Salute to the Bulls for realizing they had to change

Edited by Bonkers
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
On 4/26/2020 at 12:42 AM, Peoriabird said:

Lloyd Pierce seemingly hasn’t had the Atlanta Hawks playing to their potential, especially in terms of getting points in the win column. He’s seemingly done an excellent job of instilling confidence and developing the young players on the roster but it may be time to get a coach that knows how to win.

Although it’s still quite possible that Lloyd Pierce could take this Atlanta Hawks team to the next level, it doesn’t seem likely. It just doesn’t appear that Pierce has installed much in terms of a winning culture in Atlanta and so it may be time to bring in a coach that has won in the past.

Even though Pierce appeared to be on the hot seat at the time of the hiatus, it isn’t likely that teams are firing coaches now due to the circumstances. The coronavirus may have given Pierce one more season in Atlanta to prove himself.

If it is the case that Lloyd Pierce gets another chance, let’s hope he can prove himself by taking this team to the NBA playoffs.

https://soaringdownsouth.com/2020/04/23/atlanta-hawks-5-questions-will-left-unanswered-season-cancelled/4/

Honestly, when will someone (other than myself, of course) call out people who post bloggers' opinions as-if somehow more impressive and authoritative than any of ours here?

It's fine to post that stuff just in the shallow interest of promoting conversation.

It's quite disturbing, though, every time such stuff is inserted into our discussions as-if anyone should be persuaded to believe X or Y because X or Y is what Joe Blogger thinks.

To the contrary, when the discussion evolves to a point that one thinks his/her best foot forward is to cite what Nate Friesen (who?) wrote... my friend, you're out of gas... that's just desperation.

It's questionable if Nate and most his peers even would know what you mean, for instance, when you reflect on your love of the "pacmans"... that would be like talking a different language, either b/c of age or b/c of not actually having been a Hawks fan, or both... there is decidedly more insight in almost any one of our posts than there is for these guys using online sports blogger sites to pad their resume's in hopes of a real job at some point.

Harsh? Maybe. But it's reality.

So, please, just stop. All of you, not just Peor.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member

“I said, ‘You know Lloyd, if you don’t communicate with our players when you’re here, we can’t have any interest in you. You have to communicate,'” Davey recalled.

It was difficult, however, to get Pierce to open up to anyone. 

The team had a banquet at the end of each season to honor its players. The seniors are asked to give a speech at the event, and four years later, that same kid who barely spoke ended up giving a speech for 65 minutes that moved the audience.

“People were crying,” Davey said. “It was one of the most unusual changes in a human being I have ever seen as a coach. 

It was clear to Davey then that Pierce genuinely enjoyed the teaching aspect of coaching. Any time Pierce could get on the court and work with the players in drills, he would. It’s something that he still does in Atlanta. When Cam Reddish struggled offensively during the first few months of the season, Pierce individually worked with him and encouraged the rookie to not get down on himself and that his game would turn around. That motivation was critical for Reddish.

“That means everything to me,” Reddish said in February. “I know, obviously, a lot of guys around the league are telling me to continue playing my game. A lot of people thought if they went through what I went through — I was shooting like five percent (from 3) in October, right? You would get benched elsewhere. I have an opportunity here to continue to work on it and continue to get better at it. I am really appreciative of (Pierce).”

Atlanta is expecting to make a leap into the playoffs next season, and it could spell doom for Pierce if the Hawks don’t end up making it. Davey believes that if the Hawks aren’t in the playoffs, there’s no doubt in his mind that Pierce quickly will have a job elsewhere because there are too many coaches in the league who respect and appreciate him.

“I’m hoping Atlanta understands where they were when he arrived and wait four years to see where they are then,” Davey said while referencing Pierce’s time with the 76ers. “.......If they understand him and what he can do for them — I hope the owners feel this way. I hope they hired him under those conditions like Philly where it took years before they made it.

I think the one critical element about this — I know he knows how to coach — but the most important element of this, as a former coach, is your players have to respect what you do. If there’s anyone who doesn’t respect Lloyd and what he does, I would be discouraged. He’s a quality guy, sincere and honest. He says it like it is. I just think it’s a critical element when you’re developing a program.”

After two seasons with the Hawks, it’s still not yet known how successful Pierce will be as the team’s head coach. But the growth he has shown to his mentor these past two decades as a person is what matters most to Davey.  

• Like 2