POLL | Which ATL professional team will be first to win a title in their sport?

sturt

Which ATL professional team will be first among ATL teams to win a title in their sport? [closes 5/10 @ 10 pm]  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Which ATL professional team will be first to win a title in their sport?

This poll is closed to new votes

Question should be which team will win the NEXT championship. Not the first. 

ATL will likely do it again next.

Followed by Braves

Then Falcons

Then Hawks

Wayyyyy too many variables to project NBA championships if you dont have an MVP , an All-Star and fringe All Star all playing in their primes on your team

• Like 1

Atlanta has five pro sports teams:

Atlanta United

Atlanta Dream

Atlanta Falcons

Atlanta Braves

Atlanta Hawks

All were set to have a better season before the crash of all pro sports.  When they do come back, I expect many things to change.  Right now, and until the medical pros come up with a vaccination to prevent this horrible disease, the fans in the stands will be a thing of the past.  With no gate to go into the payroll, salaries will suffer.  If players already under contract for big $$$ pay refuse to take a big cut, they may kill pro sports as we have known them.

All sports fans are now going mad with no team to watch and no hopes of anything happening really soon.  Whenever we recover from this, and we will some day,  we will be so happy to see our favorite teams playing that we will be all wound up.

Of the five, I believe that the Braves going back to the World Series is the most likely.  But, winning it all is something else.  Remember how many times they tried and failed.

Current Hawks team should, hopefully, be improved enough to make the playoffs right now.

:smug:

• Like 3

• Premium Member

Falcons

The Falcon's offense is loaded with 10/11 former 1st round picks starting.  That right side of the offensive line will come of age and establish a top 10-15 ground game.  Hyden Hurt will have over 700 yard receiving and 7+ touch downs.  Matt will throw for 5,000 yards

As long as Dan Quinn stays out of the defensive meetings, the defense will be Top 15.  Tak Mckinley will finally get his 10 sacks because of Mario Davidson and Grady Jarrett in the middle.  AJ Terrell and the secondary will be better that people think. 

Oh by the way, the Braves won't win playoff games until Brian Snitger is gone!

Okay, I'll play along...

I'll take the United. They had to change managers and styles last year and even though it looked rather awkward at times, they were still one bad half away from being back in the Finals. Even with Martinez out, I'll still take them; which says a lot about my pessimism elsewhere. Of all the locals teams, they seem to have that 'find a way out of no way' element to them that every championship team needs in order to pull out wins from nearly impossible odds.

Following the soccer team are the Braves. Love Acuna, Freeman, and the rest of the lineup. But is the manager and ownership group big time enough to do what it takes to win when it matters most? Both scream Bobby Cox and AOL-Time Warner to me, which should be a frightening thought to anyone with postseason hopes. Watching Donaldson walk away to a team you could potentially meet in a World Series just didn't sit well with me at all. That's the kind of move you make when you know you have a replacement rather than hope that you do. I seriously hope that I'm eating crow in October with that development; I have an air fryer and Nuwave oven I can cook it in.

I'll place the Falcons and Hawks as even after those two. With a hard salary cap and a bloated, top-heavy roster, I really believe that the Falcons blew their shot at glory when Shanahan and Quinn (I'm changing the play if I had a headset on while up 16 on 3rd and 1 instead of getting Ryan piledriven into the turf by Dont'a Hightower; just saying) stole their moment in SBLI. The time/space continuum part in me says that had they simply ran the ball three more times (see example above), not only do they win that Super Bowl but is in a much better position to win it again the following year (they were in fact one play away from being back in the NFC Title game with Sarkesian in the booth). The impact of losing 'that game' was that far-reaching. And now facing a loaded nemesis (see Saints, New Orleans) and a HOF quarterback they've never beaten (you know who) twice a year, well, the odds of them getting back to the bowl and winning it all is stretched even more despite the playoff field being expanded.

As far as the Hawks, we've talked about this for years on this board. Young teams not only rarely win but don't tend to stay together long enough for the turnaround because someone on the roster will get sick of the losing and bounce. And even when they do turn things around, you never know when someone is going to have a Lebron moment and take their talents elsewhere at the most inopportune time (see South Beach). So if there's a chance at upgrading a position or two and becoming instant contenders instead of hoping all of the young guys gel at the same time like the '91 Braves, you have to seriously look at it. For instance, some folks may wax poetic about Anthony Edwards in the draft but I have far more ambitious thoughts on what to do with that pick if they don't roll snake eyes in the lottery like last year. Just saying...

Edited by Dejay
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1. The Falcons:  There only real issue has been not protecting Matt Ryan, their offensive line will be much improved.. They have very good offensive weapons and the front office seems to be on a mission. 

2. The Braves: I love the general manager, Acuna, Albies, Freeman, Soroka, Fried, and the team in general but let's just face the facts. The owners won't do what it takes financially to close the deal.

3. The Hawks: Picking them third isn't a bad thing. I like our path right now but the key is figuring out who will be the next piece to come (hopefully Devin Booker) before the big fish. Believe me we're going to get that piece, this year or next. 

• Like 1

I hear you Spud but the Falcons have tripped over their own feet since the Super Bowl. Matt Ryan is a top 5 QB and the people of this city keep blaming him for our problems. No QB can throw the ball if he's on his back. The offensive line has always been the key.. The Falcons are my choice because they are already in the position, their future is now. 

• Like 1

1. Mahomes 

2. Jackson

3. Rodgers

4. Wilson

5. Ryan

Wentz- a grade of incomplete, hurt too much.

Brees, Brady, and Big Ben- Still fairly productive but not in their primes.

Watson- Getting close to the top 5.

Dak- Questions remain.

• Moderators

I've lost some faith in Ryan.  Brees and Rogers have been great at advanced ages because they have strong arms and throw with accuracy.  I can't say that about Ryan even in his prime.   He was just great at getting it done somehow.   I hope he still has it in him.  I'm just not sure with a gimpy Julio and no HOF tight end to throw to.  

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, macdaddy said:

I've lost some faith in Ryan.  Brees and Rogers have been great at advanced ages because they have strong arms and throw with accuracy.  I can't say that about Ryan even in his prime.   He was just great at getting it done somehow.   I hope he still has it in him.  I'm just not sure with a gimpy Julio and no HOF tight end to throw to.  

1st of all Brees does not have a strong arm and has thrown for fewer than 4,000 yards the last 2 season while Ryan has done it the last 9 years.  The quarterbacks with the 5 highest quarterback rating in the playoff of all time does not include Brees while Ryan is number 4 on that list. 

As far as Tight end are concerned, Y'all are going to be pleasantly surprised by Hyden Hurst.  Fastest Tight end we've ever had.

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

1st of all Brees does not have a strong arm and has thrown for fewer than 4,000 yards the last 2 season while Ryan has done it the last 9 years.  The quarterbacks with the 5 highest quarterback rating in the playoff of all time does not include Brees while Ryan is number 4 on that list. 

As far as Tight end are concerned, Y;all are going to be pleasantly surprised by Hyden Hurst.  Fastest Tight end we've ever had.

Don't get me wrong.  I love Ryan and hate the saints.  Not sure about that 4000 yard comparison though.  I mean Brees is 40 years old now.  He had 10 years of >4000 yards (i think).   

I hope Hurst is good.  I think that'll change things for Ryan.  

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Don't get me wrong.  I love Ryan and hate the saints.  Not sure about that 4000 yard comparison though.  I mean Brees is 40 years old now.  He had 10 years of >4000 yards (i think).   

I hope Hurst is good.  I think that'll change things for Ryan.  

Plus Ryan and the offense usually do better the 2nd year in a coordinator's offense

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, High5 said:

I think Ryan can still get it done if the OL gives him a chance. 

I optimistic about this line.  This is the 1st line they've actually invested some draft capital in a long time.  I like what I see from Lindstrom and McGary!  Mathews is the only pick above the 4th round since Quinn got there.  The line has usually been a bunch of has beens and cast offs or undrafted players.  Now we have 4 former 1st round picks and hopefully a 3rd rounder in Henessy as the starters.

• 7 months later...
  • Premium Member

Indeed, Jason. Made me think back to this thread.

And who will be surprised if that Braves 2020 let-down won't be remembered in that same light?

I remain content with my original assertion from last spring:

Ownership matters, and that's the Braves Achilles heal.

Management matters, and that's the Falcons Achilles heal.

The Hawks have both goin on... no such Achilles heal here. Ownership is engaged, and management is competent. The essentials are there. A lot more has to happen, but there's a reason they're called "essentials."

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Look at you.  Correctly predicting the EC Finals matchup, without even trying to do it.

Congrats.

Sometimes you step in it! :er: thanks…

Updated:

1. Trae

2. Giannis

#wemove 

• Like 2