• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

POLL | Which ATL professional team will be first to win a title in their sport?

sturt

Which ATL professional team will be first among ATL teams to win a title in their sport? [closes 5/10 @ 10 pm]  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Which ATL professional team will be first to win a title in their sport?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Lots of Squawkers were correct in calling the Braves!

Hard to figure why they would have come to that counterintuitive conclusion at the time. But yes, lots, and not including me, for sure.

• Premium Member
On 12/28/2020 at 8:37 AM, sturt said:

Ownership matters, and that's the Braves Achilles heal.

Reflecting on this point, obviously, and wondering if the 2021 Braves are a one-off, or if having an ownership group that doesn't go get big-stage names at critical junctures is not the thing anymore that it's been in the past for pro sports champions.

Once some of you get some coffee in you and sober up, I'd be interested to read your thoughts... but only after that, of course 😉 .

• Moderators
On 5/8/2020 at 1:39 PM, AHF said:

The Braves would still be my same guess.  They are already a playoff team and have a young core of excellent talent.  Baseball also seems to have the most variability among the 3 leagues in terms of who can win.  A few pitchers get hot and it can completely flip a playoff series.  I'd put the NFL next and the NBA as the most predictable / least variance.

Don't think it was counterintuitive to predict the Braves even if you ignore my smart*** original post.  The Braves were further along and had the lowest talent threshold to pass in order to become a true championship contender.

On 5/8/2020 at 1:17 PM, AHF said:

Since the Braves already won a title, I think it is safe to go with them.

• Like 2

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, sturt said:

Reflecting on this point, obviously, and wondering if the 2021 Braves are a one-off, or if having an ownership group that doesn't go get big-stage names at critical junctures is not the thing anymore that it's been in the past for pro sports champions.

Once some of you get some coffee in you and sober up, I'd be interested to read your thoughts... but only after that, of course 😉 .

I think the team will be good enough to be in the mix of viable MLB champions but won't have the talent edge to be prohibitive favorites.  Might end up being a one-off but the team could also be even stronger with the return of our host of injured players this season (led by Acuna).  Being even stronger wouldn't be enough to make us a prohibitive favorite but clearly would make us a viable candidate.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, shakes said:

Congrats ATL fans!   I didn't watch any of the WS because I hate baseball, but i was rooting for you to win just cause I love the Hawks lol and wanted my fellow Hawks fans to be happy.

Welcome Shakemups! Thanks for the support for the Braves! Let’s get one for our Hawks now!!! 

6 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

tenor.gif?itemid=10110140

Only my pinky goes skyward :laugh1: other than that, uncanny! 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, sturt said:

They aren't ASG, they aren't the best but they generally dont get in the way. They just want to be profitable 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, AHF said:

Don't think it was counterintuitive to predict the Braves even if you ignore my smart*** original post.  The Braves were further along and had the lowest talent threshold to pass in order to become a true championship contender.

(Exactly.)

(...hehe... sometimes sarcasm speeds over the heads of even some of the brightest.)

• Premium Member
24 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

They aren't ASG, they aren't the best but they generally dont get in the way. They just want to be profitable

And/but that last sentence is so very key ordinarily and historically as far as I've ever observed.

When your heart/emotion isn't in it, it's a whole lot easier to pass and be content with merely being "competitive." And it's so much more typical that corporate leadership just isn't going to have heart/emotion in it.

Yes?