• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Now that Free Agency is done, what's your personal expectations:

NBASupes

49 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

This seems like the most realistic outcome. Even with all of that I think we will nab one of the low end playoff spots. Pierce has to prove to me he can coach, last year he was dreadful, and I know he didn't have anything to work with but still, it doesn't excuse his boneheaded decisions. Maybe he learns from his mistakes and if he does I think we can be a five-three seed. I agree with Okunguw, he's 19 we have a shortened offseason. Gallo and Bruno will be the primary backups at PF and C and, yes, looking at the roster and projecting minutes it's clear we will see at least 8-10 minutes a game of Collins at center. 

3 to 5 is really optimistic imo.

Who do you see as realistic seeds?

Barring something extraordinary happening, I think Bucks, Nets, and Sixers are near locks to be better than the Hawks.

Celtics, Raptors, and Heat are likely to be better. Hawks need some good breaks for themselves AND against any of these teams to leapfrog them.

I see the Pacers and maybe Hornets pushing for 8th seed. 

Then any of Magic, Wizards, Pistons for 9 to 11.

Chicago and maybe Knicks could surprise for top 11.

Cavs gunning for that Number 1 pick.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bird_dirt said:

3 to 5 is really optimistic imo.

Who do you see as realistic seeds?

Barring something extraordinary happening, I think Bucks, Nets, and Sixers are near locks to be better than the Hawks.

Celtics, Raptors, and Heat are likely to be better. Hawks need some good breaks for themselves AND against any of these teams to leapfrog them.

I see the Pacers and maybe Hornets pushing for 8th seed. 

Then any of Magic, Wizards, Pistons for 9 to 11.

Chicago and maybe Knicks could surprise for top 11.

Cavs gunning for that Number 1 pick.

Remember, this season is not under normal circumstances. Depth is going to be more important than in previous seasons 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 3

Just now, NBASupes said:

Remember, this season is not under normal circumstances 

Oh, totally. But given that, if I were to bet, I'd go with the teams who have the big players (Bucks, 76ers, Nets), and/or are returning with key players that have proven themselves (Raps, Cs, Heat). Star players and familiarity will likely give those teams a step ahead once the season starts with a much more limited preseason. 

The Hawks core is young and unproven. They have a lot of key additions that need to be integrated. They are really a wildcard because no one knows what they are capable of. But wildcards are not locks or favorites. 

I believe it's possible the Hawks can push for top 4, I just don't think it's likely. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, thecampster said:

With not a real training camp. No offseason workouts together.  Timing and placement on things like 3 pt kick outs, defensive rotations, etc..take tiime to develop.

Exactly right.  Kinda like how you and I have enough reps that we can finish each other's ........... prison sentences?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ATLHawks3 said:

Would y'all be mad if we got out to a slow start because of the lack of training camp/possible COVID impact?

For the most part, our starters have been together since February. Bogi is the only new addition. Capela been with the team and knows our personnel. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ATLHawks3 said:

Would y'all be mad if we got out to a slow start because of the lack of training camp/possible COVID impact?

I think thats pretty reasonable to be honest. At least until February we may hover around .500, this is without knowing the schedule and any challenges that may come with that.

Edited by RedDawg#8

Is going to take time to figure out everybody's role on the team, for the most part Young, Collins and Capela minutes and roles are clear, other than that is going to be pretty fluid. I guess Rondo, Bogi and Gallo have relevant roles. Cam, Hunter, Huerter, Okongwu, Dunn minutes are to be earned, can happen anything. By the time we have set the rotation we will be 20 games on the season. By that time I hope we have won 8 games, coaching is going to be key at the beginning.

I expect us to make the playoffs and be competitive once there. This is going to be a COVID season and we have a lot of moving pieces.

However, we have as much talent as any if the top teams, so even if it takes a while to figure things out we better be a tough out in the playoffs. Use that as a stepping stone for next year where expectations are even higher.

Also, if a star becomes available hop all over it.

If rust is the biggest hurdle we have guys in Gallinari, Rondo, Snell, and Bogi who were all in the bubble and got those reps.

If the quick turnaround is the biggest obstacle then we have a squad full of youth with fresh legs ready to play ball.

The only hurdle I see slowing us down is finding chemistry and role. This is where having a dynamic point guard comes in handy. Trae needs to put his floor general hat on and get guys involved early and often.

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, ATLHawks3 said:

Not really.   We have to have some patience.  However, by game 20, we should be clicking a lot better. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, thecampster said:

The thing with O-Squared (patent pending me) is not only is he a rookie, but a rookie with a long layoff and no summer league. My expectations are low year 1.  For Bruno, he is the biggest wild card in the world. He could easily be Capela and learning under Capela might be the best move for him of the offseason.

Yup, if Bruno can take a big leap that would be huge. I'm not too confident that happens, at least not right this year.