• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Preseason Talk About Magic / Hawks Opener

hawkzlova123

55 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

I dont need a thesis, I need someone who understands the bare bone basics of the modern game. When he says "that's bad shot" literally every single time the opposing team misses a three, clearly he's not up to speed. He has that job because of his name and his name alone. There are plenty of ex-Hawk players and coaches who would do a far better job. 

He doesn't do that.  You just say he does to support your point.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Why do you keep speaking on peoples' basketball knowledge? I guarantee you Nique knows more about professional basketball x's and o's than most fans here and most certainly you and me. 

If you don't know more than someone on a subject  how can you say they aren't knowledgable?

He is not a good broadcaster. I know he's a Hawks legend, but he's not good at his current job. I think someone else could do a much better job than him. He was chosen for his name, not because he is a good color analyst.

Edited by bleachkit

5 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

He is not a good broadcaster. I know he's a Hawks legend, but he's not good at his current job. I think someone else could do a much better job than him. He was chosen for his name, but because he is a good color analyst.

I'm not arguing about his quips, you said he wasn't knowledgeable. Nique is like a crazy uncle. He has his quirks, but he is actually pretty funny because you know when he's going to go to his go tos

• Like 3

Just now, marco102 said:

I'm not arguing about his quips, you said he wasn't knowledgeable. Nique is like a crazy uncle. He has his quirks, but he is actually pretty funny because you know when he's going to go to his go tos

Well he's not good at diagnosing good vs. bad shots by today's standards. By 1980s standards he's accurate. 

3 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

I notice the same things about his commentary,

At least you admit it's true. 

But more than anything, I just don't think Nique is very good at broadcasting, homer or not. For example, Steve Holman is a homer, but he's excellent at his job and I enjoy listening to him.

7 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

guys like Paul Pierce employed and making the dumbest, most blatantly Celts biased hot takes on a national platform

Yes, because they go for names Like Paul Pierce instead of people who are good. For example, on ESPN Tim Legler does a good job, but probably would have been denied opportunities in many places because he had an ho-hum career as a player.

1 hour ago, bleachkit said:

He is not a good broadcaster. I know he's a Hawks legend, but he's not good at his current job. I think someone else could do a much better job than him. He was chosen for his name, not because he is a good color analyst.

You’re not wrong that he’s a bit off base with some of his takes.  But that’s kinda the point of a color commentator.  The job is basically reserved for ex-stars with controversial and probably biased takes.

I don’t know that there’s a technical or even colloquial difference between color commentator vs color analyst.  But to me, I’ll give you that Nique is more of a color commentator than analyst.  When I think color analyst, I think C-Webb or SVG.  C-Webb provides a lot of great insider insight to what’s going on - but he often ends up too in depth and talking over the actual game being played 😅

Jeff van Gundy gets too personal and annoying with his hot takes.  I’d like to hear less from him and more from Doris Burke

• Like 1

A former pastor of mine said something that applies to Nique:

"It's like eating chicken, you eat the meat and spit out the bones!"

If we worry about too much of his "sayings" we will turn out his good stuff that he slips in.  He's one of ours.  He's a real Hawk and, I believe, he owns a very small % of the team.  Just a token.

Worry about the bones and miss the meat.

:smug:

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, klharper said:

You’re not wrong that he’s a bit off base with some of his takes.  But that’s kinda the point of a color commentator.  The job is basically reserved for ex-stars with controversial and probably biased takes.

I don’t know that there’s a technical or even colloquial difference between color commentator vs color analyst.  But to me, I’ll give you that Nique is more of a color commentator than analyst.  When I think color analyst, I think C-Webb or SVG.  C-Webb provides a lot of great insider insight to what’s going on - but he often ends up too in depth and talking over the actual game being played 😅

Jeff van Gundy gets too personal and annoying with his hot takes.  I’d like to hear less from him and more from Doris Burke

I don't even really care if he's off base. He doesn't have the gift of gab. He's just not natural or fluid at it. Some people just don't have it. Rick Carlisle, for example, is a brilliant basketball mind. Guess what? He was horrible as a television analyst, because he just wasn't smooth or natural in that setting. Being able to do it is a skill unto itself.

4 hours ago, bleachkit said:

If he would stop saying "that's a bad shot", every time the other team misses a three, that would help. He doesn't understand the modern game. 

But they are bad shots.  Especially when they come from poor 3 point shooters, or come at a time in a game where you need higher percentage shots.

Last season . . a Deandre Bembry wide open 3, early in the shot clock, when the Hawks are down 10 . . would constitute as a bad shot, because he's not a proven 3 point shooter.

Nique knows which guys are shooters and who aren't.  He's not going to say a wide open 3 from Steph Curry, when the Warriors are down by 7, is a "bad shot".  But he'll say it if Draymond Green takes that shot, when you have better shooters on the floor.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

But they are bad shots.  Especially when they come from poor 3 point shooters, or come at a time in a game where you need higher percentage shots.

Last season . . a Deandre Bembry wide open 3, early in the shot clock, when the Hawks are down 10 . . would constitute as a bad shot, because he's not a proven 3 point shooter.

Nique knows which guys are shooters and who aren't.  He's not going to say a wide open 3 from Steph Curry, when the Warriors are down by 7, is a "bad shot".  But he'll say it if Draymond Green takes that shot, when you have better shooters on the floor.

Funny how only threes are bad shots, and only when they don't go in are they bad shots. 

8 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I always remember a game against OKC when Ibaka was killing us from midrange and Nique kept saying "You're fine with him taking those shots," not having a clue that Ibaka was a damn good shooter. 

• Haha 4

• Moderators

Nique definitely has quirks.  I've just learn to appreciate it all because frankly he deserves it.   Bob is so good who cares if Nique is a little rough around the edges.  The other thing is Nique has gotten a ton better.   He never says 'nimbers' anymore and he's actually much more on the money with the whole good/bad shot thing than he used to be.  

Stinger is night and day better as an announcer but i like having Nique in that chair.   I mean if Hank Aaron decided he wanted to do Braves telecasts are we going to boot him if he isn't that great at it?  

• Like 4

I'd rather them let a younger former player trying to break into the business an opportunity. I'm not a big fan of "you're a former superstar so you can have whatever job you want" thing. Larry Bird, Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson have all been executives.  How many jobs does Isaiah Thomas get to have? Broadcaster, coach, executive. At least the Hawks didn't make Nique GM, that probably wouldn't have ended well.