• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Preseason Talk About Magic / Hawks Opener

hawkzlova123

30 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

You really need to listen to some of the other TV broadcast teams guys around the league.  Nique is nowhere near the worst. Only Hawks fans complain about how bad he is.  He and Bob are a top 10 NBA duo, in my opinion.

The best broadcast team is probably in Memphis.

Most people nationally dog out Nique when they get a chance to watch our games. I've gotten used of Nique doing this job but yeah, he's not Smitty

• Like 2

• Premium Member

When I saw switching defense, brought back shades of Woody.  But after watching the video breakdown and explanation, I see why - it encourages communication (listen with volume) between the players. The more they do it they better they'll be.

Video:

https://streamable.com/4yb3eg

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Who are "most people nationally"?  Fans?

Here's a question.  What do people ( Hawks fans included ), actually hate about Nique's commentary?

And what do they like about his commentary?

People really need to listen what he's talking about during a game, instead of being mad every time he says "heat check" or "dagger" ( which he's right 90% of the time when he calls "the dagger" )

I remember when people were calling for Stinger.  But in the games that he calls, he's dry as hell and doesn't offer much more insight than Nique does.  Smitty is decent, but even he doesn't have the personality calling the game that Nique does.

In those rare occasions that the Hawks are on nationally, I find myself switching back to Bob and Nique.  Only a guy like Hubie Brown really took time to understand the Hawks, while everyone else are just reading off of talking points.  Doris Burke would do a good job too.  Other than that, give me Nique as a color commentator.

If he would stop saying "that's a bad shot", every time the other team misses a three, that would help. He doesn't understand the modern game. 

Edited by bleachkit
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I enjoy Nique’s calls, not hate ‘em. Mostly for a good chuckle here and there. Still, better than always dry and boring and serious like others. Bawb cracks me up too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

You really need to listen to some of the other TV broadcast teams guys around the league.  Nique is nowhere near the worst. Only Hawks fans complain about how bad he is.  He and Bob are a top 10 NBA duo, in my opinion.

The best broadcast team is probably in Memphis.

Im actually tired of Ryan Cameron for 3eeeeeeeee...lol...I liked this version  better..What a great night this was.... 3eeeee balll.

36 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Who are "most people nationally"?  Fans?

Here's a question.  What do people ( Hawks fans included ), actually hate about Nique's commentary?

And what do they like about his commentary?

People really need to listen what he's talking about during a game, instead of being mad every time he says "heat check" or "dagger" ( which he's right 90% of the time when he calls "the dagger" )

I remember when people were calling for Stinger.  But in the games that he calls, he's dry as hell and doesn't offer much more insight than Nique does.  Smitty is decent, but even he doesn't have the personality calling the game that Nique does.

In those rare occasions that the Hawks are on nationally, I find myself switching back to Bob and Nique.  Only a guy like Hubie Brown really took time to understand the Hawks, while everyone else are just reading off of talking points.  Doris Burke would do a good job too.  Other than that, give me Nique as a color commentator.

Agree with all this.

Some people just complain as a way of pretending they're smarter than everyone else.

Is nique great?  No but who TF cares.  I'm watching a basketball game, not tryna research a freaking thesis.  People nowadays wanna act like they know so freaking much about basketball.   It's just a freaking game.  Get over yourselves.

Have some freaking fun.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I enjoy when Stinger and Smithy fill in on those rare occasion, but that would make for very boring commentary for an ENTIRE season.  

I love listening to Stinger...Very Cool dude too...Unlike Andre Aldridge .lol.. He was sort of a jerk the one time I met him.

Nique is extremely repetitive and not very knowledgeable about opposing teams. Half of what Bob says seems to fly right over his head. He also doesn't miss an opportunity to talk about how great he was. But he honestly doesn't annoy me as much as he used to. I definitely prefer him to Stinger. Stinger seems like a great guy, but his laugh is unsettling. 

Color commentary is pretty bad across the board in the NBA. SVG was probably my favorite and he's back to coaching. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Agree with all this.

Some people just complain as a way of pretending they're smarter than everyone else.

Is nique great?  No but who TF cares.  I'm watching a basketball game, not tryna research a freaking thesis.  People nowadays wanna act like they know so freaking much about basketball.   It's just a freaking game.  Get over yourselves.

Have some freaking fun.

I dont need a thesis, I need someone who understands the bare bone basics of the modern game. When he says "that's bad shot" literally every single time the opposing team misses a three, clearly he's not up to speed. He has that job because of his name and his name alone. There are plenty of ex-Hawk players and coaches who would do a far better job. 

25 minutes ago, High5 said:

Nique is extremely repetitive and not very knowledgeable about opposing teams. Half of what Bob says seems to fly right over his head. He also doesn't miss an opportunity to talk about how great he was. But he honestly doesn't annoy me as much as he used to. I definitely prefer him to Stinger. Stinger seems like a great guy, but his laugh is unsettling. 

Color commentary is pretty bad across the board in the NBA. SVG was probably my favorite and he's back to coaching. 

Sometime Nique will say things that are just flat out wrong and instead of correcting him, Bob will just pretend he didn't say it. It's so bad.