• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

No Extension for John Collins

JTB

2 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

This off-season now falls to a B+ for me ... he is as good as gone and we will probably lose him for nothing 

I don't think we lose him for nothing but the trade rumors are going to be incessant.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

This off-season news falls to a B+ for me ... he is as good as gone and we will probably lose him for nothing 

If they want him, they can match any offer sheet he gets. If they don't they can try to trade him this year and the new team would have 1.5 years to sign him.  He only walks for nothing if the Hawks allow him to.  They hold all the cards at the moment. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Is that the face of the guy you're gonna want replaced by an injured rookie in 3 years even though he developed and was a good guy for the team and in the community?

Nah, that's plan B. In the words of a famous philosopher... "you always gotta have contingents". 

- Traveon phaenthrete Slaenk

17 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

You think he is a idiot for chasing a big pay day. I think he is being really smart. After Gobert, PG13, Giannis, LeBron got locked up, John will get paid man. I don't blame him but I was hoping for a hometown discount.

He passed an overpay for a chance at someone being stupid and giving him an massive overpay. His minutes are less. His role is less. People already are questioning him. He's about to play himself badly.

Edited by NBASupes

8 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

He passed an overpay for a chance at someone being stupid and giving him an massive overpay. His minutes are less. His role is less. People already are questioning him. He's about to play himself badly.

I will be happy to make a avatar wager. Collins gets 25 million or more next off season, I win. Less than 25 million you win. No bogus disclaimers, outs, etc. I don't care if he gets traded or not. The contract is all that matters.

• Like 3

• Admin
22 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

If they want him, they can match any offer sheet he gets. If they don't they can try to trade him this year and the new team would have 1.5 years to sign him.  He only walks for nothing if the Hawks allow him to.  They hold all the cards at the moment. 

Yes, but now we will pay more or the trade will be for a lesser player

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Now would would give Collins a whole lot of money on an offer sheet next year?

Oh I don't know . . . 

SATAN???

New York Knicks - Wikipedia

They have Obi Toppin who's better long term than JC.

Zo Ball is the player who could get overpaid by them.

Edited by NBASupes

If JC wants a near max (not full max judging by "competitive" offer) extension then it makes sense to wait. Either he proves that he deserves it and maybe we have to pay a little more, or he doesn't and we're glad we didn't give in. I never expected to extend him now. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Now would would give Collins a whole lot of money on an offer sheet next year?

Oh I don't know . . . 

SATAN???

New York Knicks - Wikipedia

Dallas was clearing space for a run at Giannis, they also need a PF. Lol

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

Yes, but now we will pay more

The max is the max.  They can't pay more than the max.  If you are saying they shouldn't have paid the max in the first place then what's the complaint to the Hawks?  If he's offered the max and they are willing, they will keep him.  If they think he'll get the max from someone but don't value him at that, then trade him during the season.  No one else knows whether the Hawks will match so it's not like the association knows he's walking and have all the leverage.  The Hawks still hold the chips.  If he was unrestricted, then this would be different.  But as a restricted FA, the Hawks can keep him or trade him but it's certainly not a given that he either walks for nothing or they over pay for him.