• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Pacers at Hawks

lethalweapon3

5 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

McMillan is waiting in the wings. He was not afraid to start two towers with Turner and Sabonis. I think he is the type of coach that would prefer a more defensive rotation vs a more offensive one.

More of this:

Collins/Gallinari

Capela/Okongwu

Less of this:

Collins/Gallinari

Capela/Collins

Hawks arent beating those teams is all Im saying... Hawks cant defend Sexton/Garland..And the Knicks will bully the Hawks. Rookie pg will probably look like Jordan in the 4th qtr(see Brunson) And Boston will probably  blow us out..lol

Edited by terrell

2 hours ago, Atlantaholic said:

He's closer to AI than Steph, but still not on that level. We need to see what Trae can do on a team with a real coach. 

I agree, but Hes still gonna be  a limited player and a liability on defense..

2 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Yeah right.

The Knicks play hard as hell.  It definitely helps that Mitchell Robinson is hurt, but the Knicks play tough.

The Cavs have been playing nothing but top level teams lately, and probably can't wait to play a "weak" team like us.  They see us a win to get them back on track.

And the Thunder tend to battle everybody to the death. SGA and Dort ( who will probably be guarding Trae ), will pose a huge problem for our backcourt.

Exactly..

1 hour ago, AHF said:

If you truly believe Trae = Steph, then you should also be advocating for us to unload Trae as soon as possible.  I don’t buy it.

AI had his first winning season in his third year.  I’m hoping Trae does the same.  This is clearly an ugly period for the team.  I won’t sugar coat that.

Im gonna get creamed for this, but Id unload him for the right price(we all know Schlenk wont do that. Im just saying)..I just cant see us winning anything with a 6'0 inefficient pg who cant guard anybody as our star player...Im sorry...Hope he proves me wrong..

Edited by terrell

2 hours ago, High5 said:

LP has to officially be on the hot seat now. Alternating blowout losses with blown 4th quarter leads must have Ressler fuming. 

That said, I think the people who believe a coaching change would magically solve our problems would be in for a rude awakening if it actually happened. 

Well how do you think he feels watching Luka lately vs watching Trae/Cam lately? That has to have him fuming at himself and Schlenk too...

Edited by terrell
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Just saying....

.....and I understand the defense was also a big issue particularly with Aaron Holiday but these are WIDE ASS open shots that they are being paid for:

If Trae was actually injured and that was prohibiting him from shooting then I will retract my criticisms on the offensive plan.  I haven't seen any confirmation of that though.  I still think LP should be gone.  As some point, even if the message you are giving makes sense, if the players are toning you out, you gotta go.  I also don't get the continued taking out of Capela late in games.  It all seem to go to hell when that happens.  But LP does it nearly every game.  

Also, they've lost 9 games when leading in the 4th quarter.  That's gotta fall on the coach, no?  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Buzzard said:

My worry with the Knicks is LP plays to their weakness. I can see him feeding Gallinari and Hill at the 4 to match up with the Knicks who are missing Mitchell. Just like Capela was benched when Sabonis went out. He is very reactionary. Instead of forcing a obvious strength on the opponent, he lets them dictate to us and play to their strengths.

With the Cavs and Drummond he may go small to out quick them. Another strategy of his that cost us Capela's defense.

In a nutshell, the man preaches defense but prefers his small ball units in critical stretches. It has to be driving Schlenk nuts to stand by and watch as two of his big man draft picks continue to be ignored. While the big man he traded for and is paying 16 million dollars to gets benched in the 4th quarter. I know its hard for me to watch.

That's my biggest pet peeve with the way he coaches.  Instead of forcing them to match up with Collins and Capela, he downsizes to give them the advantage.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, terrell said:

Hawks arent beating those teams is all Im saying... Hawks cant defend Sexton/Garland..And the Knicks will bully the Hawks. Rookie pg will probably look like Jordan in the 4th qtr(see Brunson) And Boston will probably  blow us out..lol

Think about it though.  If you have Sexton / Garland in the game, and they're killing you, the move LP might have to make, is to play Goodwin over Huerter.  Garland or Sexton can't guard Trae, but Goodwin may be able to slow down one of the Cleveland PGs.  Then there's Drummond, who you don't want going up against Collins.  Capela and even Bruno is a better defensive matchup for us against Drummond.

1 hour ago, terrell said:

Im gonna get creamed for this, but Id unload him for the right price(we all know Schlenk wont do that. Im just saying)..I just cant see us winning anything with a 6'0 inefficient pg who cant guard anybody as our star player...Im sorry...Hope he proves me wrong..

Trae isn't inefficient at all.  Even when he's having bad shooting games, he's impacting the game with his passing.

The thing LP must come to grips with, is that this is NOT a great shooting 3 point team.  We played a good offensive game last night, even without Trae's scoring.  But when things got tough, the bigs didn't even see the ball again.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Trae isn't inefficient at all.  Even when he's having bad shooting games, he's impacting the game with his passing.

The thing LP must come to grips with, is that this is NOT a great shooting 3 point team.  We played a good offensive game last night, even without Trae's scoring.  But when things got tough, the bigs didn't even see the ball again.

He's impacting the game positively and negatively. Trae is a great talent and a very good player, so no question is that he's impactful but he's like Ben Simmons. He's heavily flawed and that can hurt winning. The issue we got, we don't have a Joel Embiid. A player when at his peak is a top 5 player. Could that be Hunter? Idk. Cam and Okongwu? Too far to tell. JC and Capela? Unlikely but those two are highly impactful. Trae helps us, hell, he helps JC and Capela but man, look at Capela numbers with Harden compared to Trae. Capela had better offensive numbers. Let's just be real, Trae is the real deal but he hasn't shown use anywhere near top 20 production. While most of us will take Trae over Iso Joe, Iso Joe in his prime was a better player, in fact, Iso Joe was a perennial top 20 player. I don't think Trae is that yet. I see Trae as a top 30 player who might have slightly declined. JC and Capela are top 50-60 players. Hunter is a legit top 30-35 player. Bogi and Gallo have competely fell off of the top 100 list. Cam and Kevin are in the bottom 300 list with a lot of other Hawks on this roster. 

Bogi should be back into the top 100 once he can go back to his backup role where he was massively improving and looking like a top 90-100 player till he got hurt. Gallo just needs to play with more talent and not play with Kevin, Trae, and him on the court at the same time ever again.

I am disappointed at Kevin and Cam regression on impact even if I see individual improvement from both players, I seen regression as well from both in certain areas as well. Kevin has become a legit sharp this year but his defense has been worse than ever better. No need to go in on Cam, I do that everyday these days but it's well documented. 

4 hours ago, High5 said:

LP has to officially be on the hot seat now. Alternating blowout losses with blown 4th quarter leads must have Ressler fuming. 

That said, I think the people who believe a coaching change would magically solve our problems would be in for a rude awakening if it actually happened. 

I guess that’s my problem too. I think we need a change but I’m not so sure there’s a good replacement in the market right now. If indeed we don’t improve, I don’t see being able to do much until we get a better idea of who is on the coaching market this off-season. 

21 hours ago, REHawksFan said:

Its comical how many people don't realize 15 ast and 15 pts from trae is a losing formula.

Let me post the following stats under this quote.   I think you may like this.

Trae Young has posted double digit assists in 12 out of the 24 games he's played in.   The Hawks record in those games?   3 - 9

Trae Young has scored 26 or more points in 13 out of 24 games.   The Hawks record in those games?   9 - 4

Trae Young has made at least 3 three points in only 10 out of 24 games.   The Hawks record in those games?   7 - 3

Call me crazy, but I think opposing teams have figured out that if they turn Trae into more of a facilitator than a scorer, they have a great chance at beating the Hawks.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Trae Young has posted double digit assists in 12 out of the 24 games he's played in.   The Hawks record in those games?   3 - 9

Trae Young has scored 26 or more points in 13 out of 24 games.   The Hawks record in those games?   9 - 4

Trae Young has made at least 3 three points in only 10 out of 24 games.   The Hawks record in those games?   7 - 3

Call me crazy, but I think opposing teams have figured out that if they turn Trae into more of a facilitator than a scorer, they have a great chance at beating the Hawks.

He's not a facilitator to be honest. He's a PnR beast who loves to attack off of the dribble drive to the corner but he don't trust no one but Hunter at making them and will even go cross court to him on it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, REHawksFan said:

If Trae was actually injured and that was prohibiting him from shooting then I will retract my criticisms on the offensive plan.  I haven't seen any confirmation of that though.  I still think LP should be gone.  As some point, even if the message you are giving makes sense, if the players are toning you out, you gotta go.  I also don't get the continued taking out of Capela late in games.  It all seem to go to hell when that happens.  But LP does it nearly every game.  

Also, they've lost 9 games when leading in the 4th quarter.  That's gotta fall on the coach, no

Maybe we're tanking again? Only thing that makes sense......smh

3 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Think about it though.  If you have Sexton / Garland in the game, and they're killing you, the move LP might have to make, is to play Goodwin over Huerter.  Garland or Sexton can't guard Trae, but Goodwin may be able to slow down one of the Cleveland PGs.  Then there's Drummond, who you don't want going up against Collins.  Capela and even Bruno is a better defensive matchup for us against Drummond.

LP wlll probably go with Gallo/Collins  vs Allen/ Drummond..lol

3 hours ago, REHawksFan said:

How is he inefficient?  He's 6th in the NBA in PPS among players attempting 10 or more shots per game.  

He's an excellent free throw shooter who draws alot of fouls., so of course..Im talking strictly from a FG% standpoint.He's 114th at 42%...Right ahead of Lonzo Ball and Westbrook...What happens when Playoffs come around? Refs not giving him all of those calls..

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I've posted a lot of those same stats. I'll die on this hill arguing that Trae Young HAS to score 25+ for the Hawks to win consistently. That could change if Hunter develops into a consistent 20+ pts per game but right now, Hawks need Trae to score FAR more than they neeed him to get assists. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, terrell said:

He's an excellent free throw shooter who draws alot of fouls., so of course..Im talking strictly from a FG% standpoint.He's 114th at 42%...Right ahead of Lonzo Ball and Westbrook...What happens when Playoffs come around? Refs not giving him all of those calls..

Thats a little misleading though. Hes only 42% this year because he's struggled with his floater which historically has been an excellent shot for him. He was over 50% on 2s last year but is only 45% this year. Once he gets his floater back to normal he's shooting 46% overall. Thats not terrible.

And while the refs won't call the marginal stuff in the playoffs, he'll still draw some fouls. So I wouldn't bet on him losing his ability to score on the playoffs. 

He could lose half his FT att and still be top 30 in efficiency. 

• Like 2