• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

John is not stepping up like a max player should

Wurider05

• Premium Member

I think everyone is correct thinking about what his replacement would be, but on the flip side, I think you have to also think about what we won't have the money to do in the future.  We're going to have to give hunter the max or close to it if he keeps progressing and playing like he was earlier this year.  Trae is getting maxed.  Capela is at ~$20M.  Where does that leave us 3 years -- the 2023-2024 season and what we can do then is dictated by what we decide to do with John now.

I understand the pay him mentality but there's a fine line between a necessary overpay and an unmovable asset.  I could see it both ways -- everyone clowns us for overpaying and then he keeps getting better and justifies it (similar to jamal murray), but I can also see a situation where we have zero depth in 2-3 years and 1 weak starter.  It's not like the buyout market has guys wanting to come to Atlanta and vets are dying to come here either.  We have to find the right balance and idk if paying Collins $30m+ is going to give us a chance to contend.

I struggle with this one.  I don't really have a strong preference what we do but the flexibility we lose by paying him a max is a real thing that should be considered.

Atlanta Falcons face this right now.  High priced wide receiver Jones.  He may be gone, not because they don't want him but they will not have enough cap space to sign all their draft picks if he stays and they don't do something else.

😪

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

In 3 years, the 2023-2024 season:

1. I will assume the salary cap will also be higher than the $112 million it is right (currently projected for $120 million)

2. The assumption is Hunter will get a max - but there is no guarantee

3. Gallo will have expired the year prior (if he gets his last year guaranteed), if he is back it won't be on a $20 mil deal

4. Bogi will be in his last year if he picks up his last year option - what if he doesn't pick up the 4th year option and he leaves in FAcy the prior year?

5. Capela will have expired and may or may not be on a new deal with the Hawks.

Yeah, I'm not basing JC's contract on how it might play out in 3 years.  Too much can and will happen between now and then.  I think you just have to make a decision based on the current team and current situation and then let it play out. 

To be honest, I'm not really concerned about being stuck with some immovable contract.  In the last several years we've seen plenty of nasty contracts get moved.  The Hawks have acquired several.  Unless he has some catastrophic injury, JC is a valued player in the NBA that will have a market, even if the Hawks overpay for him now.  

• Like 4

• Premium Member
29 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

In 3 years, the 2023-2024 season:

1. I will assume the salary cap will also be higher than the $112 million it is right (currently projected for $120 million)

2. The assumption is Hunter will get a max - but there is no guarantee

3. Gallo will have expired the year prior (if he gets his last year guaranteed), if he is back it won't be on a $20 mil deal

4. Bogi will be in his last year if he picks up his last year option - what if he doesn't pick up the 4th year option and he leaves in FAcy the prior year?

5. Capela will have expired and may or may not be on a new deal with the Hawks.

Player by player analysis is ultimately irrelevant -- the question is do you want a max tied up in JC?  Maxes scale with the cap so that point is also irrelevant.  I'm just saying you have a lot less flexibility and you have a max player that is, from what we've seen so far, a very low value max.

I feel like we've had this same conversation over and over lol...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JeffS17 said:

I think everyone is correct thinking about what his replacement would be, but on the flip side, I think you have to also think about what we won't have the money to do in the future.  We're going to have to give hunter the max or close to it if he keeps progressing and playing like he was earlier this year.  Trae is getting maxed.  Capela is at ~$20M.  Where does that leave us 3 years -- the 2023-2024 season and what we can do then is dictated by what we decide to do with John now.

I understand the pay him mentality but there's a fine line between a necessary overpay and an unmovable asset.  I could see it both ways -- everyone clowns us for overpaying and then he keeps getting better and justifies it (similar to jamal murray), but I can also see a situation where we have zero depth in 2-3 years and 1 weak starter.  It's not like the buyout market has guys wanting to come to Atlanta and vets are dying to come here either.  We have to find the right balance and idk if paying Collins $30m+ is going to give us a chance to contend.

I struggle with this one.  I don't really have a strong preference what we do but the flexibility we lose by paying him a max is a real thing that should be considered.

It is a struggle, but Gallinari will be gone by then.  Plus the cap goes up and Ressler is willing to spend over the cap.  I think Collins provides a piece that we can't just let go.  Reminds me of the big contract Joe Johnson signed, and we were able to trade him to Brooklyn still.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member

JC usually starts slow coming back from not playing and then picks it up. I think he'll be fine.

Anyone notice he's been attempting more Euro's and Spin-moves? Would be good for him to develop a face up game.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sturt said:

For some degree of context... and support for alleging that we shouldn't assume what we see at age 23 probably should define what we expect out of a player's career... here's a pair of 23 year olds' stat lines.

Bet you can't guess whose names belong to the stats.

(Yes. Sarcasm, Sheldon.)

2021-04-27_11-56-55.png

2 different eras and positions . . . but.

Lot Detail - Rare 1983-84 Star #263 Dominique Wilkins RC Rookie Card BGS  9.5 Gem Mint

And this was my first guess.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

(PM'd you North)

Have to like that JC's had 7 30-pt games in 53 he's played.

Have to like that 5 of those 7 came against good-to-very-good competition (... remember, GSW was w/o Curry, so not including them).

Have to not like that in all 5 of those good-to-very-good competition games, those were Ls.

Not sure if that's meaningful, but at least for now, it suggests we're much better off when JC isn't putting up the biggest point totals.

2021-04-27_19-26-34.png

• Like 2

• Premium Member
13 hours ago, sturt said:

(PM'd you North)

Have to like that JC's had 7 30-pt games in 53 he's played.

Have to like that 5 of those 7 came against good-to-very-good competition (... remember, GSW was w/o Curry, so not including them).

Have to not like that in all 5 of those good-to-very-good competition games, those were Ls.

Not sure if that's meaningful, but at least for now, it suggests we're much better off when JC isn't putting up the biggest point totals.

2021-04-27_19-26-34.png

To be fair those Ls were all under LP. 

TL;DR version: he will get paid on his potential, not for who what his stats this season are worth.

No one is going to pay the man at a rate of what he is doing today. He's still super young (23?) 4 years away from hitting his peak. Then 3 or 4 peak years after that.

He has progressed and expanded his game every year. He is going to get paid based on his ability to continue growing both physically and mentally. He may not be all star level now, but his trajectory leads that way at least. I have no doubts he's going to make the all star team more than once in his career. 

If he was a lazy player, growth wouldn't be as much of a factor, but he's by all accounts a disciplined, accountable player. PEDs kinda tarnished that a bit of course. But remember how much the story him being from a military family played into his personal development?

• Moderators

I love what Nate is doing but don't really understand JC's role in the offensive since Nate took over.   Very rarely posts John up which is a shame because he is exceptional at scoring on face up jumpers near the hoop.  When they do give him the ball it's at the 3 point line where he is forced to drive and often turns it over.   

• Like 1