• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The official NBASupes 2021 NBA Draft thread

NBASupes

• Premium Member
On 5/19/2021 at 10:54 AM, sturt said:

Me, I think it's obvious that our sweet spot for bringing an NBA championship to ATL is 2021-22 or 2022-23.

But that also means that, if things go as we're hoping, there's going to necessarily be some talent purge in the 2023 off-season, or even assuming Ressler is willing to foot a humongous tax bill, 2024 at the latest.

So, to optimize our assets to help us achieve something special in the near future, this off-season's pick is better delayed since... just in terms of probabilities... at #19 or worse, it's not likely going to deliver anything significant to the 2021-22 effort, and only slightly more likely for the 2022-23 effort.

Right?

"That's well-taken, but that player could be contributing something substantial by the time of that purge you anticipate, and at a time when rookie scale contract talent will be important to have."

But I want to have my cake and eat it, too.... that's my goal... I go into the draft proactively seeking that end... I mean, like who wants cake just to sit and stare at? (... yes, you're on to me, my real name is Jerry and I used to have a fairly popular TV show).

Granted, one cannot just snap their fingers and make what they want appear out of nowhere.

But there is precedent for a team seizing on another team's prizing some draftee so much that they're willing to surrender (1) a current asset plus (2) a future #1 for the opportunity to draft someone they prize. So, I get something that plausibly could help me in the next two years plus I get two first round picks in some future year (ie, the one we have anyhow, plus the other team's).

That's what I want.

The most likely partners in such a scenario are teams that have no 2021 pick at all, so I start there. But every team conceivably holds some potential to dance with us, in consideration of what asset they currently can offer and the conditions (or lack thereof) they're willing to concede on that future #1.

Which teams, then, on the surface, seem like they hold the best potential for such a deal?

Would be very intrigued to read others' speculation/imagination to that question... and it goes w/o saying, all the more intrigued to read soon enough any rumors being overheard that might inform the question somehow, directly or indirectly.

Reading this weekend that, as suspected, Chicago is going to be going strong to obtain a FRP. Their deal with ORL and the Septien rule complicate getting a FRP in return, though. Alternative would be multiple FRP flips maybe, or just being content to wait and take their 2025--which would actually probably time out quite nicely for our purposes.

I haven't really looked into prospects outside of the top 4. Like Supes I also like Cooper as a backup point. On the other hand I'm not a fan of Tre Mann in Atlanta. For what he offers i'd much rather have Bouknight.

Realistically though, Bouknight may not be there at 20 and his stock can go higher with workouts.

At #20, I like Cooper or the Chris Duarte. He's a little old for a rookie at 24 but were trying to win & I can't see us picking a project like Kai Jones or Zaire Smith this year. I like Duarte to replace Solomon Hill and give us some much needed depth at the wing position.

• Like 1

I’m gonna guess we are trading our pick this year which is why I didn’t really invest in this 2021 draft at all. I’d be surprised if we walk away with a first round player. Our core is already young it’s time for trades and vets.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

I’m gonna guess we are trading our pick this year which is why I didn’t really invest in this 2021 draft at all. I’d be surprised if we walk away with a first round player. Our core is already young it’s time for trades and vets.

I've been trying to find a Capela like trade - young player on a 3 year deal that a team is trying to move to reduce salary - preferable a PG.

With how TS operates, I don't see him trading that pick for a 1 year rental, although it could be a trade and extend though.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I've been trying to find a Capela like trade - young player on a 3 year deal that a team is trying to move to reduce salary - preferable a PG.

Aaron Holiday. He gets 3.9 mill in 2021-2022 and a qualifying for 5.8 mill for 2022-23. 

Any way to pry him from the Pacers?

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Aaron Holiday. He gets 3.9 mill in 2021-2022 and a qualifying for 5.8 mill for 2022-23. 

Pick #20 but I don't know if Indy is looking for picks. Holiday will also be a RFA next offseason so we have to be prepared to pay him.

I guess If Indy is looking to trade up from #13, they can use #20 added.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Spud2nique said:

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Pick #20 but I don't know if Indy is looking for picks. Holiday will also be a RFA next offseason so we have to be prepared to pay him.

I guess If Indy is looking to trade up from #13, they can use #20 added.

Rethinking this #20 is too high for him and Indy is already over the cap, they'll be looking to shed salary. So, in this deal you finally get your boy:

Aaron Holiday and Jeremy Lamb for Dunn and a 2nd. 

• Haha 1

• Premium Member

To no one in particular... this statement by Hollinger is consistent with what I've read elsewhere...

"From my perspective, this draft is also a bit different in terms of how its depth shakes out. I’d be really happy to have a pick in the top nine, or something in the mid-20s. However, the depth of this group sort of craters after the top nine picks, leaving a lot of speculative-type selections in the teens, or non-speculative selections on near-certain role players."

https://theathletic.com/2666193/2021/06/22/top-20-nba-draft-prospects-for-2021-cade-cunningham-ranks-no-1-but-not-by-much/

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Future Hawks Picks: Incoming and Outgoing

Team Incoming Outgoing
1-atl-hawks.png Atlanta Hawks

2021 second round draft pick from Miami
Miami's 2021 2nd round pick to Atlanta (via Portland to Sacramento) [Miami-Portland, 2/18/2016; Portland-Sacramento, 6/21/2018; Atlanta-Sacramento, 2/6/2020]

2022 first round draft pick from Oklahoma City
Oklahoma City's 2022 1st round pick to Atlanta protected for selections 1-14; if this pick falls within its protected range and is therefore not conveyed, then Oklahoma City will instead convey its 2024 2nd round pick and 2025 2nd round pick to Atlanta [Atlanta-Oklahoma City-Philadelphia, 7/25/2018]

2023 second round draft pick from Charlotte or Brooklyn (second most favorable of these and Atlanta, swap, Atlanta outgoing to Philadelphia or Brooklyn)
Philadelphia will receive the most favorable of Atlanta's 2023 2nd round pick, Charlotte's 2023 2nd round pick and Brooklyn's 2023 2nd round pick and Atlanta will receive the second most favorable and Brooklyn will receive the least favorable of the three (via Atlanta's right to swap Atlanta or Charlotte for Brooklyn) [Atlanta-Charlotte, 6/21/2018; Atlanta-Brooklyn, 7/13/2018; Atlanta-Philadelphia, 7/7/2019]

2023 second round draft pick from New Orleans
New Orleans' 2023 2nd round pick to Atlanta protected for selections 31-45 (if this pick falls within its protected range and is therefore not conveyed, then New Orleans' obligation to Atlanta will be extinguished) [Atlanta-New Orleans, 7/7/2019]

2023 second round draft pick from Portland
Portland's 2023 2nd round pick to Atlanta (via Cleveland to Detroit to L.A. Clippers) [Cleveland-Portland, 2/4/2019; Cleveland-Detroit, 6/26/2019; Brooklyn-Detroit-L.A. Clippers, 11/19/2020; Atlanta-L.A. Clippers, 3/25/2021]

2024 second round draft pick from Miami
Miami's 2024 2nd round pick to Atlanta protected for selections 31-50 and 56-60 or to New York (via Cleveland to Detroit to Philadelphia) protected for selections 31-55 (Miami's obligation(s) to Atlanta and/or New York will thereafter be extinguished) [Cleveland-Miami, 2/8/2018; Atlanta-Miami, 6/19/2019; Cleveland-Detroit, 6/26/2019; Detroit-Philadelphia, 7/7/2019; New York-Oklahoma City-Philadelphia, 3/25/2021]

2025 second round draft pick from Brooklyn
Brooklyn's 2025 2nd round pick to Atlanta [Atlanta-Brooklyn, 7/13/2018]

2026 second round draft pick from Golden State
Golden State's 2026 2nd round pick to Atlanta [Atlanta-Golden State, 7/8/2019]

2027 second round draft pick from L.A. Clippers
L.A. Clippers' 2027 2nd round pick to Atlanta [Atlanta-L.A. Clippers, 3/25/2021]

2021 second round draft pick to Brooklyn
Atlanta's 2021 2nd round pick to Brooklyn [Atlanta-Brooklyn, 7/6/2019]

2022 second round draft pick to Sacramento
Atlanta's 2022 2nd round pick to Sacramento (via L.A. Clippers) protected for selections 31-55 (if this pick falls within its protected range and is therefore not conveyed, then Atlanta's obligation to Sacramento will be extinguished) [Atlanta-L.A. Clippers, 2/6/2020; L.A. Clippers-Sacramento, 3/22/2021]

2024 second round draft pick to Portland
Atlanta's 2024 2nd round pick to Portland protected for selections 31-55 (if this pick falls within its protected range and is therefore not conveyed, then Atlanta's obligation to Portland will be extinguished) [Atlanta-Portland, 2/6/2020]

2025 second round draft pick to Oklahoma City
Atlanta's 2025 2nd round pick to Oklahoma City protected for selections 31-55 (if this pick falls within its protected range and is therefore not conveyed, then Atlanta's obligation to Oklahoma City will be extinguished) [Atlanta-Oklahoma City, 11/24/20

• Like 1

I am pissed as I lost all of my work for RealGM thread but here is the short of it. 

No tier 1 or tier 1.5 prospects. No Zion, Bagley III (Miss) or Ayton and Luka tier 1.5

Six tier 2 guys. Cade slightly higher than the others and higher than Ja or R.J. of previous tier 2s. 

Cade, Barnes, Kuminga, Suggs, Green, and Mobley 

Mobley was compared to Porzingis with Gasol like playmaking. He's more athletic but not at tall. 

Cade was compared to Cam Reddish and Grant Hill. 

Barnes to Scottie Pippen

Kuminga to Jamal Mashburn (two years away)

Suggs to VanVleet and Lonzo Ball

Green to Bradley Beal and Avery Bradley

No tier 3 or 3.5 guys this year. 

A lot of tier 4 players - 25 at this moment, could be more when I am done. 

Overall, a lot of talent in this class. Moreso guys with higher floors than ceiling this year compared to previous years. 

Guys I really like: 

James Bouknight - 20 ppg scorers in the NBA level are hard to find. He has the modern skills to score effectively in this league. 

Davion Mitchell - People are sleeping on the next Joe Dumars. He's worth a top 10 pick. He's not Donovan but he offers a lot for winning hoops. 
Josh Giddey - I am intrigued with a triple double type of PG who raises the floor of an offense. 

Nah'Shon Hyland - Buckets who has some defensive potential is hard to find. Not quite the offensive weapon as IQ, his ability to score and defend is intriguing.   

Tre Mann
6-5    190    PG    Florida    So.

Jared Butler
6-3    195    PG/SG    Baylor    Jr.

Sharife Cooper
6-1    180    PG    Auburn    Fr.

I like all three for different reasons. Cooper is the most like Trae Young of any prospect since Young. He's clearly not as good as a scorer or shooter but he close or as good at otherwise. That's intriguing considering how we are building out our roster. Mann is like Dinwiddle. Butler is the best of the three but he has some health questions. 
CharlesBassey
6-11    235    PF/C    Western Kentucky    Jr.
AlperenSengun
6-9    240    C    Besiktas    2002
NeemiasQueta
7-0    245    C    Utah State    Jr.

I like these three centers. I think they can add value in time. Maybe they will be their at 48 but I am not counting on it. 

Trey Murphy
6-9    205    SF/PF    Virginia    Jr.

JT Thor
6-10    205    SF    Auburn    Fr.

These two have a lot of potential. A lot. It's likely both will be 1st rounders as others see it too but if you are looking for wings, these two are interesting. 

Quentin Grimes
6-5    205    SG    Houston    Jr.

MJ Walker
6-5    215    SG    Florida St.    Sr.

My two favorite 2nd round prospects. Both high floor players who can help you right now in the NBA and really can dominate the G-league. 

Chris Smith
6-9    215    SF/PF    UCLA    Sr.  

Chris is my undrafted FA fav this year. He has potential to be a good NBA player. He just needs to continue developing. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'd wanna see us use our #20 on a PG.... McBride/Hyland/Mann/Cooper... all will do just fine. 

Would like our big C with our 2nd... Ariel Hukporti is who I'd like as a 7 footer for certain matchups. Even has decent range to bring those trees out of the paint. 

3 minutes ago, warcore said:

I'd wanna see us use our #20 on a PG.... McBride/Hyland/Mann/Cooper... all will do just fine. 

Would like our big C with our 2nd... Ariel Hukporti is who I'd like as a 7 footer for certain matchups. Even has decent range to bring those trees out of the paint. 

I doubt Ariel will be there. Something tells me OKC have him in their bag. 

• Sad 1

• Premium Member

Appreciate these threads as I am pretty bad at following prospects.

One thing I think is funny is how every single draft all of the analysts love to claim this is a 3 player draft then it falls off, or this is a weak draft, etc etc, but then in that "3 player draft" we end up with Hunter and Reddish who very well may be franchise-level players for us.  I'm interested to see who we bring in, hopefully someone that can run backup PG for Trae and mix minutes with Lou/whoever else we bring in.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Others - 
Kessler Edwards
6-8    215    SF    Pepperdine    Jr.
Poor man's Klay Thompson, he's a lot like Klay but not the athlete or the shooter Klay was as a project. 90% Klay is what I expect long term. 

Neemias Queta
7-0    245    C    Utah State    Jr.
Vlade Divac lite

I would love to find a way to get these guys on 2 way deals and let them develop and get acclimated to better competition for a year or so in the g league. 

interesting comp on Kessler. I watched him and felt he could turn into a poor mans DeAndre Hunter - but his future is more 4 than 3. Not as much in terms of shot creation, but he’s not horrible in that aspect either. Defense is elite 1-4 and can matchup with some small ball 5s. 

as for point guards. #20 is a reach. But if I had to, I wouldn’t be mad at taking Jason Preston there. Combine and his measurements proved his athletic ability shouldn’t hold him back at all. He seems like a perfect fit to be the #3 PG spot for a year and then be full time backup. I really just love his game. Shooting form looked nice at the combine too. 

• Like 1