• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The official NBASupes 2021 NBA Draft thread

NBASupes

• Moderators
1 hour ago, nathan2331 said:

I guess after several years of substandard backup PG play, I'm just skeptical of the kind of guard we need to be drafting. With the way we stagger Collins and Capela throughout the game with Gallo and Okongwu, I think the backup PG has to be able to make plays with the PnR. Cam Thomas and Hyland are guys I've seen fans suggest the most and I really don't see it. I think they're talented and could do great things in the league, but I don't think iso-scoring should be the skill we're prioritizing.

All that being said, I also hope we get Trae's backup whoever it is. There are a lot of talented guards that'll be available at #20.

Just to be clear, I expect us to sign a vet this year as well unless TS is convinced Dunn will be ready to go (assuming he opts in).  More of a learning year for the rookie PG unless they develop very quickly.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, nathan2331 said:

I guess after several years of substandard backup PG play, I'm just skeptical of the kind of guard we need to be drafting. With the way we stagger Collins and Capela throughout the game with Gallo and Okongwu, I think the backup PG has to be able to make plays with the PnR. Cam Thomas and Hyland are guys I've seen fans suggest the most and I really don't see it. I think they're talented and could do great things in the league, but I don't think iso-scoring should be the skill we're prioritizing.

All that being said, I also hope we get Trae's backup whoever it is. There are a lot of talented guards that'll be available at #20.

I wouldn't mind picking up Daishen Nix in the 2nd round, even if we have to move up 4 or 5 slots to get him.   I know he is a poor 3 point shooter and not very athletic but he is 6'4 225 with very good passing ability. He is someone that could play next to Trae in the Future.  He can be taught to improve his 3 point shot.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Scottie Barnes is gonna be the best player from this draft.  Mark it down.

LOL...are you trolling or serious? Because you normally don't like any draft prospects..lol

I like what he brings to the table, but he better learn how to shoot before he becomes the best player in this draft. 

Jalen Green is my pick to be the best in my opinion.  That kid has something special and I can't put my finger on it.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, marco102 said:

LOL...are you trolling or serious? Because you normally don't like any draft prospects..lol

I like what he brings to the table, but he better learn how to shoot before he becomes the best player in this draft. 

Jalen Green is my pick to be the best in my opinion.  That kid has something special and I can't put my finger on it.

Green is legit. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Whoa, I dont play when I say "mark it down".  Barnes is gonna be a problem.  You heard it here 1st.  An athletic Paul Pierce.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Whoa, I dont play when I say "mark it down".  Barnes is gonna be a problem.  You heard it here 1st.  An athletic Paul Pierce.

He reminds me of this kid named Cade Cunningham, if Cade struggled shooting. 

🧐🤪🧱

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

Scottie Barnes is gonna be the best player from this draft.  Mark it down.

Lol so we are the same person huh. Actually I’m going Green then Barnes. Coincidentally those are like 2 of a very limited number of prospects I know. Barnes though is a pit Bull dog.

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, sturt said:

Answering the question, I envision the long-term BU PG being a veteran free agent or trade pick-up... certainly not a rookie selected @ #20--that is, for a team that is convinced they're a legitimate contender for the trophy...

Or, if a rookie, then must be one that was someone projected to go top 10 by many if not most... must be a gen-u-wine offensive asset both in terms of scoring and distributing, as proven as one can get at that level... and it's less important, but much preferred if it's an older player.

There is one who is plausible, and even in his case, it's likely you'd have to jump up a few slots to get him... can't see him getting past #15. That's Davion Mitchell Jared Butler (Baylor).

Failing that, if Schlenk uses the #20 on a PG, then it should be for the third team PG that he intends to develop to maybe assume the BU PG job in 22-23 or 23-24 (and signing an older guy, probably Mills or Rose).

That's a waste of the draft slot, of course, because you've effectively agreed to a truncated rookie deal where you're foregoing the benefit of that asset's first season, and maybe a second as well.

So, ideally, find a trading partner and punt the pick for another team's future FRP; or, find a trading partner and trade back into the 2nd round looking for multiple picks that can get you the best of the crop of Euro stashes so you're able to develop players independent of the rookie contract timeline; or, use it in a trade that gets you a significant 21-22 asset for the assault on our first championship... hard to find anyone who would better fit than Derrick White (San Antonio).

Oh. And the best option... all around skills, experience, and cost... is Kevin Pangos. But don't take my word for it. Investigate him for yourself.

I'm amending my previous comment here, and prefer Butler instead of Mitchell, for the record. Butler has some playmaking skills that set him apart from his teammate, as I study it closer.

Still not content to put a rookie in the #2 PG seat, but as said previously, you could draft him, then look to sign a Rose or a Mills on a 1 or 2 year deal, allowing Butler to develop. Still not a big fan of wasting a year or two of rookie scale contract, either. But it can happen that there simply isn't any other choice but to take the slot that you're given because no one is making a reasonable offer otherwise that would allow you to punt the pick or get enough in return otherwise.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AHF said:

Just to be clear, I expect us to sign a vet this year as well unless TS is convinced Dunn will be ready to go (assuming he opts in).  More of a learning year for the rookie PG unless they develop very quickly.

We aren't going into next season with Dunn as the back up PG. He gets injured a lot, and he didnt play particularly well when he did. We aren't a rebuilding team anymore where we can say "oh well" if something does not work out. I would be absolutely shocked if the position wasn't addressed in free agency and/or a trade. 

• Like 1

Another day, another prospect. Today, I'll introduce you to a potential phenom from Belgium. Vrenz Bleijenbergh a 6'11 G/F with a 7'1 wingspan. Reminds me a lot of Deni Avdija from last years draft. Has excellent ballhandling and playmaking skills for his size. He's excellent at making reads from the pick and roll and is a terrific lob passer.

He's also a solid shooter at this point, but he can diffidently make some improvements on his consistency and form. As he matures, he should to look to add around 15 - 20 more pounds of muscle to help him defensively and offensively. 

He can ideally play the 2, 3, and 4, so he has positional versatility. He has a really high upside if we can develop him correctly. He's a prospect that may or may not contribute from day 1, but will be a really good piece to have as he gains more and more experience.

Here's his tape:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Did a quick study and film 🎞 watch on these young point gods of 2021 that remind folks of the 2009 draft. Teague, Lawson, Maynor etc. good one that year.

I only like 3 guys.

Davion Mitchell-  You watch this guy for 2 seconds and he’s the guy. He’s the alpha, he’s the rich/poor man’s mini Lu Dort type at the point. Rugged and can flat out ball. I realize he’s a lottery pick and we probably won’t get him. He’s my #1.

Jared Butler-I’m not sure but from what I’ve seen he is probably one of the best shooters coming out. Squares his shoulders nicely and mechanics are almost flawless like a mini Klay type. His head is up looking for the next play, seems to get back defensively. Very decisive point guard with some size at 6’4”. He would be nice to run off screens when a guy like Huerter or Cam might be handling in the second unit. Could start out as our 3rd strong PG and blossom from there.

Tre Mann- The cool kid, too cool for school? Lol.This kid a a tall smooth act. If Jared Butler is the best shooter then this kid has one of the better or best floaters I’ve seen. Good size for a point with a certain swag and confidence like he’s been there.

I’d draft one of these 3 and stick them in the 3rd stringpoint guard position after the vet at the backup spot.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Lol so we are the same person huh. Actually I’m going Green then Barnes. Coincidentally those are like 2 of a very limited number of prospects I know. Barnes though is a pit Bull dog.

Last guy I touted this strongly now goes by the name, "Camborghini".

😎

• Like 1