• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2021 Atlanta Hawks Summer League Thread

NBASupes

On 7/31/2021 at 6:05 AM, Final_quest said:

I appreciate the work and game of Mays, but would like to see Cooper blow him out of the water.  Cooper is the guy with more potential.

Mays is solid and steady, but honestly aren’t we expecting Cooper to be our eventual backup PG?  Cooper was ranked #17 overall on ESPN’s board.  He could/should be ahead of Mays on day 1.  

Mays averaged 16 points and 3 assists his senior year at LSU.  Cooper walks on the court and takes over his first game played against Alabama.  20 and 8 as a freshman.  Give me Cooper.  

Why root for one over the other because of pre draft hype? May the best man win. 

Just now, terrell said:

Bruno wasn't on the summer league roster when he was expected to be, gets traded..

And now Cam Reddish has been revealed to be off the summer league roster as well when he also stated that he was going to be on it..

I’ll let you guys connect the dots. 

I don't know if it's a good idea to jump to assumptions. That said, the general scope was Cam was setup to be at SL as he wasn't expected to play in the playoffs. 

He played in the playoffs and played well. They stuck with original plan. We don't know what the new plan is. It could be a trade. Maybe it just could be they want him to workout at the facilities. That said, we don't know. That said, this is a true red flag. This isn't a rumor. This is a change in development direction. 

At this point, I am unsure what's the future plan for Reddish at this point. Even if he stays, is he in the future plans or is he Malik Monk. Where you are just keeping him till someone blows you away with an offer and if you don't, let's see or does Atlanta have another plan for him. 

Without direct insite to how TS is scheduling each player, plans. It's hard to say. But if you are Cam Reddish, you want to be on this roster. Obviously Nate is not coaching but you want to show what you can do as the man. 

• Like 1

Hawks roster for Summer League:

Jalen Johnson
Sharife Cooper
Skylar Mays
Nathan Knight
Jeremiah Martin
Justin Jaworski
Ibi Watson
Max Heidegger - IDK who he is
DeVaughn Akoon-Purcell - I've heard of him but can't recall him
Admiral Schofield - former 2nd rounder, intriguing option.
Naz Carter - Jay-Z nephew 
Eric Moreland - Former NBA player
Juwan Durham

Spoke about the others already

3 minutes ago, marco102 said:

I would prefer a four year deal for $6.8 million.

Four years makes sense but I doubt he gets more than the min considering his draft status even for four years. 

7 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I don't know if it's a good idea to jump to assumptions. That said, the general scope was Cam was setup to be at SL as he wasn't expected to play in the playoffs. 

He played in the playoffs and played well. They stuck with original plan. We don't know what the new plan is. It could be a trade. Maybe it just could be they want him to workout at the facilities. That said, we don't know. That said, this is a true red flag. This isn't a rumor. This is a change in development direction. 

At this point, I am unsure what's the future plan for Reddish at this point. Even if he stays, is he in the future plans or is he Malik Monk. Where you are just keeping him till someone blows you away with an offer and if you don't, let's see or does Atlanta have another plan for him. 

Without direct insite to how TS is scheduling each player, plans. It's hard to say. But if you are Cam Reddish, you want to be on this roster. Obviously Nate is not coaching but you want to show what you can do as the man. 

May be as simple as getting Jalen Johnson more run with Summer league. 

1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

They don't even play the same position 

Cam has more guard skills, but they have skills that overlap. I envisioned Cam bringing the ball up more and running things in summer league until we got Sharife. Jalen has the same ability with bring the ball up, but not sure about his ability to run things.

Maybe its a combination of Sharife and Jalen..lol. 

I'm just trying not to panic here supes.

• Premium Member
22 minutes ago, terrell said:

Bruno wasn't on the summer league roster when he was expected to be

Honestly, I don't think that's accurate... at least not "expected to be" by anything coming from the Hawks. As a charter Bru Cru member, I took great umbrage at the fact that his name was not listed at any point as being a SL team member (... even while, yes, not oblivious to the fact that they'd made their intentions clear earlier in the season).

10 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Cam has more guard skills, but they have skills that overlap. I envisioned Cam bringing the ball up more and running things in summer league until we got Sharife. Jalen has the same ability with bring the ball up, but not sure about his ability to run things.

Maybe its a combination of Sharife and Jalen..lol. 

I'm just trying not to panic here supes.

I am not either but logically, I can see why TS doesn't put Cam in SL but it's all from a trade stance. If a Bradley Beal became available, I have Cam Reddish which statistically doesn't mean much but his playoff run, especially game 6 was massive and his playoff metrics was insane. You got a nice selling point but it's mainly potential. If he doesn't perform elite in this summer league, his value drops like a ton of bricks. The risk doesn't outweigh the reward. 

The thing is, if you have zero plans of trading Cam, you wouldn't care about that. It's all about game reps. Which is why he might not be on the trade block but his value as an asset is and that makes him too valuable for Vegas. 

That said, this sucks. I am still looking forward to the games and I hope we win it all. This is basically College Park or guys working to be on College Park.

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Why root for one over the other because of pre draft hype? May the best man win. 

It’s not really rooting.  I’m more expecting Cooper to be far superior.  So, I hope we see that immediately.  You can call it falling for predraft hype, but I see it as Cooper having more potential.  

• Premium Member

One was the 48th pick, 12th PG chosen.

The other the 50th, 16th PG chosen.

Arguably the former has an edge.

But I'm betting the latter will have a standard contract that the former doesn't get for 21-22, based on what he showed in 20-21.

Well. Wait. Check that.

I would be betting, but... hehe... no one's been able/willing just yet. 😄

45 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

It’s not really rooting.  I’m more expecting Cooper to be far superior.  So, I hope we see that immediately.  You can call it falling for predraft hype, but I see it as Cooper having more potential.  

Why would you say you want to see "Cooper blow Mays out of the water?" That's a strange sentiment. Mays is an incredibly smart, high character person, and he should have your full support as a Hawks fan. Let meritocracy determine the outcome. 

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

I am not either but logically, I can see why TS doesn't put Cam in SL but it's all from a trade stance. If a Bradley Beal became available, I have Cam Reddish which statistically doesn't mean much but his playoff run, especially game 6 was massive and his playoff metrics was insane. You got a nice selling point but it's mainly potential. If he doesn't perform elite in this summer league, his value drops like a ton of bricks. The risk doesn't outweigh the reward. 

The thing is, if you have zero plans of trading Cam, you wouldn't care about that. It's all about game reps. Which is why he might not be on the trade block but his value as an asset is and that makes him too valuable for Vegas. 

That said, this sucks. I am still looking forward to the games and I hope we win it all. This is basically College Park or guys working to be on College Park.

Could the explanation simply be Cam said "Hey, on further reflection, I don't think I'll get much out of summer league at this point. I'd rather work on my body and game separately and save my legs for training camp," and TS didn't feel strongly enough to contest the issue?

Given that Cam is up for an extension next summer (like Trae and Huerter are this Sunday), *he* might have decided that the injury risk wasn't worth it, right??

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

Hawks roster for Summer League:

Jalen Johnson
Sharife Cooper
Skylar Mays
Nathan Knight
Jeremiah Martin
Justin Jaworski
Ibi Watson
Max Heidegger - IDK who he is
DeVaughn Akoon-Purcell - I've heard of him but can't recall him
Admiral Schofield - former 2nd rounder, intriguing option.
Naz Carter - Jay-Z nephew 
Eric Moreland - Former NBA player
Juwan Durham

Time out, time out. Jay-Z has a nephew named Nas, or Naz? The irony lol

Also, I liked Schofield back when he came out. Haven't heard much from him since. 

Edited by RedDawg#8
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Why would you say you want to see "Cooper blow Mays out of the water?" That's a strange sentiment. Mays is an incredibly smart, high character person, and he should have your full support as a Hawks fan. Let meritocracy determine the outcome. 

Didn’t mean to get you tweaked.  Mays has a low ceiling.  Yes, I do hope Cooper shows up and looks like a lottery talent that should be a starter.  To use meritocracy.  I hope his talent is undoubtedly better than Skylar Mays.  When you think and hope someone is better that doesn’t violate meritocracy, it establishes it as the basis of the evaluation.

I’m not cheering for failure of Skyler Mays.  I simply hope Cooper will be one of the best players from the draft and that he will compare more to Trae than Skylar Mays. 

32 minutes ago, niremetal said:

Could the explanation simply be Cam said "Hey, on further reflection, I don't think I'll get much out of summer league at this point. I'd rather work on my body and game separately and save my legs for training camp," and TS didn't feel strongly enough to contest the issue?

Given that Cam is up for an extension next summer (like Trae and Huerter are this Sunday), *he* might have decided that the injury risk wasn't worth it, right??

Trade value makes more sense. You never know if Beal could become available