• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Trade and Free Agent Season.

JayBirdHawk

41 minutes ago, bird_dirt said:

Woj isn't doing anything wrong imo. He's not negotiating deals on behalf of players, agents, and teams. They're the ones who are breaking the rules, he's just reporting it. 

:gun:the messenger :laugh1:

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

....and here we go!!

Miami has a history of this. They actually started this whole thing if anyone remembers in stealing Zo from the Hornets. Some shady $hit happened in 95 where Zo was lured by Pat Riley. I really think Miami has been doing this forever.

Miami in the East and the Lakers in the west.

Also remember Minny getting dinged and draft picks taken away for the under the table Joe Smith deal. That set them back a lot. The league came down hard on Minny, Miami should get the same punishment. It’s only fair Adam.

• Like 1

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Miami has a history of this. They actually started this whole thing if anyone remembers in stealing Zo from the Hornets. Some shady $hit happened in 95 where Zo was lured by Pat Riley. I really think Miami has been doing this forever.

Miami in the East and the Lakers in the west.

Also remember Minny getting dinged and draft picks taken away for the under the table Joe Smith deal. That set them back a lot. The league came down hard on Minny, Miami should get the same punishment. It’s only fair Adam.

They also got tagged (well not really any meaningful penalties) for circumventing the cap when they signed Juwon Howard to a $100M deal.  Getting that one voided turned out to be a huge blessing in disguise for them.  

• Like 2

Ich bin ein Idiot! :Schroder:

4 years 84 million guaranteed now 5.9 for one year. 15 Mill lost this year alone not to mention the security. Who the heck is advising this kid. What the hell was he on when he turned that deal down? :unsure:

• Haha 3

• Premium Member

Dennis has all the abilities to be a great PG... except.. BBIQ.  He's a me First player and couldn't even be less of that playing with Bron..   The whole league saw his selfishness and no GM wants to ruin their team with a guy that thinks that highly of himself.   This should be humbling to Dennis but I doubt it. 

I want to see what Westbrook does this season. 

• Moderators
32 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Dennis made a bonehead decision, clearly.  But I gotta say, folks piling on is bush league.

I'm not talking about you guys in this thread.  I'm talking about all the non-basketball fans taking shots even though they know nothing about anything related to the NBA or free agency.  The soccer moms that read a blurb on yahoo and call the guy a dumbarse.

The fact is players make that gamble all the time.  Most win, some lose.  Jollins won his.  Dennis lost this one.  Big time.

But why will he never recoup that money?  It's not because he's less of a player.  It's because the team 'governors' will hold this one salary-year against him in future negotiations.  These guys get a finite amount of years to maximize all the salary they'll ever get at their chosen profession.  To have potential employers enact a salary ceiling on a guy like this is criminal, imho.

I get it.  That's the bidness and all that. But I can't take joy in what's happening to the guy.

:Schroder: 'Preciate that support, kg.  Now I'll tell gonzo he can untie you and let you go home.

Yeah whenever folks i know say 'oh i just can't believe how much x player makes' i always just say 'imagine how much the owner is making'.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Yeah whenever folks i know say 'oh i just can't believe how much x player makes' i always just say 'imagine how much the owner is making'.

That's why you should never feel sorry for a franchise when they have to pay the luxury tax.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, ATLHawks3 said:

That's why you should never feel sorry for a franchise when they have to pay the luxury tax.

Yeah but I don't want my team to pay the luxury tax for a team that is not competing for a shot to go to the ECFs at least.

59 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Dennis made a bonehead decision, clearly.  But I gotta say, folks piling on is bush league.

I'm not talking about you guys in this thread.  I'm talking about all the non-basketball fans taking shots even though they know nothing about anything related to the NBA or free agency.  The soccer moms that read a blurb on yahoo and call the guy a dumbarse.

The fact is players make that gamble all the time.  Most win, some lose.  Jollins won his.  Dennis lost this one.  Big time.

But why will he never recoup that money?  It's not because he's less of a player.  It's because the team 'governors' will hold this one salary-year against him in future negotiations.  These guys get a finite amount of years to maximize all the salary they'll ever get at their chosen profession.  To have potential employers enact a salary ceiling on a guy like this is criminal, imho.

I get it.  That's the bidness and all that. But I can't take joy in what's happening to the guy.

:Schroder: 'Preciate that support, kg.  Now I'll tell gonzo he can untie you and let you go home.

Good news is I was calling Dennis names 4 years ago and offered to help pack his bags on the way out the doors. Someone on the board called me a racist....true story.

A revisit of this thread is probably called for.

Edited by thecampster
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• Moderators
59 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I think he will never get it again because he isn't good enough to deserve that kind of contract.  I'm not sure he would be worth his last contract at $15M (I wouldn't give him that money for a well below average starting PG) per but $21M per is clearly an overpay.  I don't think that will be driven by this one-year deal being held against him.  It is a reflection of the fact that nobody wanted to pay him anywhere close to $21M so by the time he got serious he couldn't even command $10M.  People know that absent a breakout from him the market just doesn't value him close to where he values himself.  

I also expect that being in a timeshare with Smart won't help him at all either.

He will never recoup the money and it isn't just an arbitrary salary ceiling.  It is because he got offered a bad overpay and insanely turned it down.  That will never come again because it is clear to every GM that he isn't worth that much.  The fear of missing out on him that drove the original $84M offer will never be seen again.  (Absent a huge breakout).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, thecampster said:

"Mark this podcast and watch them be 300 yards up Atlanta's butt in 2 years when this works out well."

And a stark reminder that comment only got 3 likes at the time. Thank you @turnermx, @hazer and @PSSSHHHRRR87 for seeing the future with me.

Edited by thecampster
  • Like 3