• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2021-2022 Post/In- Between Game Thread: Thoughts, Updates, Tidbits etc.

JayBirdHawk

I never tried to understand this new play in format but since it looks like that’s where the Hawks are headed I think I should now lol.0157D5EB-E94C-4974-AD57-BE0C52A6F09B.thumb.jpeg.0d54435fe52e04f398573852d0ef877d.jpeg

Why is the Hawks’ chances of finishing 7th so much higher than the 7 spot in the play in?  And does 7 play 10 or 8?

• Like 1

7 plays at home against 8. Winner gets the 7th seed.

9 plays at home against 10. Loser goes home.  Winner plays on the road against the loser of the 7/8 game. Winner gets the 8th seed.

I'm not sure how the play-in affects draft standings.

2 hours ago, benhillboy said:

I never tried to understand this new play in format but since it looks like that’s where the Hawks are headed I think I should now lol.0157D5EB-E94C-4974-AD57-BE0C52A6F09B.thumb.jpeg.0d54435fe52e04f398573852d0ef877d.jpeg

Why is the Hawks’ chances of finishing 7th so much higher than the 7 spot in the play in?  And does 7 play 10 or 8?

I think it would be a better format where it's just one game, so 7 vs 10 and 8 vs 9. If the former, win they get 7th and if the latter wins they get 8th spot. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, benhillboy said:

As it’s looking right now we’d have to beat the Hornets 🐝 at State Farm, then probably travel to Canada to face the Raps after the Nets beat them. Bad thing would be that if the Nets get 8th, the Raps would host them, and if they get beaten by the Nets at home, it would be awfully tough to beat them twice in their own building to eliminate them. They have a championship DNA with Nurse, FVV, Siakam, OG etc.

Luckily there is an 0.5% chance we can still get the 6th seed. We have to go 14-2 and have the Cavs go 8-7 and still go through both the Nets and Raps to get to them. 

At worse we gotta get to spots 7 and 8 to give ourselves 2 shots at it. Single elimination is scary. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

This is not good for the Hawks, too many players out for Indy.  We know how we love playing down to the competition.

Right.  That means Chris Duarte goes for 36 tonight.

They also have Buddy Hield and TJ Haliburton, so it's not like they're not without offensive firepower.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, benhillboy said:

We have a better chance to win the conference than Brooklyn!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Dexmethylphenidate said:

I think it would be a better format where it's just one game, so 7 vs 10 and 8 vs 9. If the former, win they get 7th and if the latter wins they get 8th spot. 

It would be simpler, yes. But the spirit of the play in is not to penalize the teams that would have qualified outright to make to the playoffs. 

The 7 and 8 seeds get 2 chances to win 1 game. There is no single elimination for them considering they are playoff teams by traditional format.

The teams that are on the outside looking in, 9 and 10 seeds, are literally trying to play their way “IN” to the playoffs. They have to win 2 games and are a sudden death away from elimination in both games.

The pushback for a standard format of  single elimination (7-10, 8-9) is that the 7 and 8 seeds did their work during the season and should not have all that work put to waste due to a bad matchup or an off game. 

The play in was created to account for teams that are playoff worthy but had to deal with Covid or other unforeseen misfortunes. Instead of saying sorry, you just barely missed the cut, they are giving them an opportunity to prove themselves by knocking off the teams right above them. But they have to EARN their way in. They higher seeds only have to defend their spot. 

That nuance is the only way the owners were going to agree to a playin round. They had to make sure it was easier for 7&8 to keep their spot than it was for 9&10 to back their way in

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, benhillboy said:

1 hour ago, benhillboy said:

Yeah the Hawks is 9-10 deep.  The Nets have no stability.  Their “core” 3 is gonna blow up much sooner than later.

We don't have a "core" 3 at all. We just honestly aren't that good 

Edited by bleachkit
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, bleachkit said:

We don't have a "core" 3 at all. We just honestly aren't that good 

I agree. We have a lot of good players and the best offensive player in the NBA who's the worst defensive player in the NBA by a mile

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

I agree. We have a lot of good players and the best offensive player in the NBA who's the worst defensive player in the NBA by a mile

And with our draft picks not working out primarily the wing players, we are in a spot if almost.no.leverage  in the off-season.  Everyone knows what we need to do,  All we can do is pray some of these guys catch fire and raise their value some before summer

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, hylndr11 said:

And with our draft picks not working out primarily the wing players, we are in a spot if almost.no.leverage  in the off-season.  Everyone knows what we need to do,  All we can do is pray some of these guys catch fire and raise their value some before summer

I assume  you mean trades but for who?   I cant figure out who we can realistically bring in.   

• Premium Member
54 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I was a defender of Nate for not playing Jalen early on because it was obvious he wasn't ready.  It's scary to think we're going the whole season without giving him any real time at all.  If it's just Nate being stubborn you would think Travis would be pushing him on it.  I'm concerned. 

I usually support the "hands off" approach by management, but in this case Schlenk may need to apply some pressure on Nate to give Jalen a look. Knox is what he is. There's no reason he should see the floor over Jalen right now.

• Like 3