• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Delon Wright: Good or Bad, Net-Positive or Net-Negative

NBASupes

22 hours ago, Atlantaholic said:

I agree his style is definitely not a good fit, having said that we are still second overall in net offensive rating so we can live with a depressed offensive output from Delon as long as he brings the defense. It's a tough situation but I think our best bet is to play Trae more minutes (like we have been doing) and having Delon's bulk minutes come at the wing where I think he provides more value overall. 

No we can't.

We're a top offense, but a bottom 5 team in defense.  That means our margin for error is slim when it comes to offense.  We're essentially the Portland TrailBlazers of the past 2 years, when they were a playoff level team almost strictly off of their offensive prowess.

If a game is tied, and that bench group struggles for just 4 minutes, it can and will cost us games because our starting group hasn't been able to stop people.

So until we learn how to play defense, we need to be as offensively efficient as possible . . . at all times.

• Premium Member
21 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

So until we learn how to play defense, we need to be as offensively efficient as possible . . . at all times.

I think this is just focusing on the wrong thing.  We can only be so good offensively -- at some point (we're at that point), you have to improve by improving your defense.  This is why we need Lou to stay on the bench.  It's why Karl Anthony Towns isn't going to be the piece that gets us a title.  We need not only to play better defense and coach it better, but we need better defenders -- especially on the bench.  Delon is great for us, and I hope we continue to replace Lou minutes with Delon minutes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

No we can't.

We're a top offense, but a bottom 5 team in defense.  That means our margin for error is slim when it comes to offense.  We're essentially the Portland TrailBlazers of the past 2 years, when they were a playoff level team almost strictly off of their offensive prowess.

If a game is tied, and that bench group struggles for just 4 minutes, it can and will cost us games because our starting group hasn't been able to stop people.

If that's what team we are going to be this season book first round exit as a ceiling.

14 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

No we can't.

That Blazers offense was legit. Atlanta offense is fugazi. Blazers offense shined when the game mattered most. To start and the 4th quarter. Our offense is merely average in those moments. Teams knew when you played the Blazers, make sure you dont have it close in the 4th. When teams play us, they look forward to the 4th quarter. 

• Like 1

Last night the Hawks came out in the second half in the sleepwalk mode.  What happened in the locker room?  Check the box score.  Three quarters were close.  3rd quarter was all Lakers.  

Seems that, every game, someone gets their career scoring stat.  Why?  Because we have no defense to stop them.  Atlanta had many players returning.  Look how many points we gave up.

Where does the blame belong?  The team.  Basketball is a team sport.  The Hawk team gave up these points.  Part of the blame goes to the head coach and his entire staff.  There's enough blame to go around.  Travis is going to make some moves.  They may be very minor moves.  A blockbuster is possible.  Depends on who and what is offered.  There is a lot of smoke.  Gotta be some fire somewhere.

Did we go from how good we were to how bad we are today for a reason?  I know.  Hawks haven't played together very much as a team this season.  Still, there is a problem.  

🕵️‍♂️

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thinking Delon is anywhere near a net negative is preposterous.  Still killing all Hawks non-Bigs in 100 possession rating. Climbed to 4th in defensive plays per foul (ahead of Jimmy freaking Butler). Holding steady at 11th in assist to turn.  

Im still tripping off his team high +/- last night with no points.  Going up against Rondo certainly helped but still it takes a wildly high IQ and floor game to do that in a win, regardless of minutes.  

I love that dude.  Can’t score, shoot, or finish worth a goddamn, arguably average or above at literally every other single thing a combo guard can possibly do.  I cannot understand why the staff can’t realize he’s the perfect yin to Trae's yang and max their minutes together; improving Trae’s feel and comfort off the ball should be a primary aim.  Can’t find a more timely offensive rebounder at the position.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 4

We cry and weep for defensive players.

Wright plays very solid defense.

We hate on Wright.

We can't have it both ways.  We want to but we can't.  Either he's good or he's not.  He hesitates to shoot.  Why?  Because, for each and every shot that doesn't go in, Hawk fans want his hide.  "Can't pass."  Yet he does all the time if for no other reason to prevent all the bad vibes if he misses a shot.

Repeat after me:  "Wright is all right."

🥰

• Like 2

5 hours ago, benhillboy said:

Thinking Delon is anywhere near a net negative is preposterous.  Still killing all Hawks non-Bigs in 100 possession rating. Climbed to 4th in defensive plays per foul (ahead of Jimmy freaking Butler). Holding steady at 11th in assist to turn.  

Im still tripping off his team high +/- last night with no points.  Going up against Rondo certainly helped but still it takes a wildly high IQ and floor game to do that in a win, regardless of minutes.  

I love that dude.  Can’t score, shoot, or finish worth a goddamn, arguably average or above at literally every other single thing a combo guard can possibly do.  I cannot understand why the staff can’t realize he’s the perfect yin to Trae's yang and max their minutes together; improving Trae’s feel and comfort off the ball should be a primary aim.  Can’t find a more timely offensive rebounder at the position.

He's almost similar to Solo in some respects, but with a little more offense. 

Trae goes through highs and lows with his passing just like his scoring.  He’s currently peaking with the passing.  When he’s on it’s literally nothing you can do.

Just realized this is the wrong thread.  Point still stands lol

Edited by benhillboy
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

Back to Delon..

I'm liking what he brings.  He's like the lead dog on the Hustle Squad.. and when he comes in, it's LOCKDOWN CITY. 

IN the future, the Hustle Squad may include:

Cooper, Delon, Bogi, JJ, and OO...

Poor Knox.  He should become a squawker because he will be at home next year.

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Delon Wright on defense

Screenshot_20220416-084756_Samsung Internet.jpg

...now imagine if Hunter can also get as locked in consistently.

Delon is obviously in superb shape.  We’ll never know how Dre’s really feeling with his injury history.  Whatever he was on when he locked Luka up he needs to buy that in bulk.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
On 1/6/2022 at 11:13 AM, Final_quest said:

Let's not confuse trading 2 players for 1 as blowing the team up.  Gallo is gonna be gone anyways. 

We have seen all year Delon is unable to elevate play of his teammates on the 2nd unit.  Playing him this year when we don't have better alternatives is different than committing to him.  We should be looking for a backup PG or a starting combo guard that could lead the 2nd unit.  

What GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Delon waited for the 2nd half but man this kid became who I thought he was when we signed him AND then some! He might be playing the best DEFENSE of his career right now, not offense though as he had bigger roles on other teams but we don’t really need that from him.

Keep it goin Delon, great stuff!

• Like 1