• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

CAM REDDISH TO NY FOR KEVIN KNOX AND FIRST!?!

NBASupes

• Moderators
3 hours ago, thecampster said:

Or Anthony Bennett, Marvin Williams, random big stiff Euro, etc

This is disingenuous.  No player who has never played pro ball has pro results. It was a dumb criticism - like criticizing a middle schooler for not having shown success in high school classes.  Duh.  Doesn’t say anything good or bad about the player even though it is presented as if it is a negative.

7 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

For me, I think Cam just doesn't have that competitive "dog" in him. 

I can easily see a Marvin Williams type career for him, in the sense that he'll never be anything more than just a good backup/decent 4th option starter .. but could be in the league for a long time.

His lackluster production despite his size, SCREAMS a lack of intensity, which would explain the poor finishing numbers at the rim and in the paint.

The analytics actually show that he may be best with the ball in his hands as a pick and roll initiator, rather than a spot up shooter. If that's the case, he needs to be 👏 aggressive 👏 be, be 👏 aggressive.

If Cam has all of this talent, we might be looking at Joe Johnson lite in a few years.

Right now, I'd take a steady Marvin Williams like career from him.

Can you fairly evaluate him when he was playing hurt nearly all season and then got surgery in the offseason?  Seems like that will also impact many of the same things you mention.

Might turn out right (I can’t predict the future) but I’d be hesitant to judge someone’s character as someone who can’t play with intensity when he was playing injured.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kerrypack said:

Marvin Williams had a long career.  He just wasn't worth the second pick.  He always was kinda uncoordinated, not a freak athlete, but a good teammate, etc.  And yeah, for this team, Marvin Williams with the 10th pick would be good enough.  We already have two very solid players and some other good pieces.  supes definitely likes him...

Which is my point. He was super hyped by everyone and then fizzled to average NBA starter. On fire is an excited stance to take. I like the kid, but he's not Jesus. Most players dont hit their stride till their mid 20s. Give him room to breathe. You wont know what he is for a few years.

5 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Cam will be better than OJ Mayo. Right or wrong personnel it won’t matter. One balls while the other falls on the floor and acts like a 🤡.

100% Mayo was a prime example of how lack of situation, fit, role and confidence can kill your career once you blend it in with what comes with the NBA life. 

Some will say he killed his own career but he is the prime example that you can't fit a square peg into a round hole. 

Right or wrong personnel does matter A LOT!

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I’d say to some degree yes. Ultimately it comes down to...can you ball? If you can ball, usually a team will tailor itself to a player’s strengths. From the eye test alone, Cam looks like a baller ⛹️♀️ on all levels. 

The only thing to me that’s a mystery is if somebody gets in Cam’s face and tries to throw him off his game. How will he respond? 

11 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Which is my point. He was super hyped by everyone and then fizzled to average NBA starter. On fire is an excited stance to take. I like the kid, but he's not Jesus. Most players dont hit their stride till their mid 20s. Give him room to breathe. You wont know what he is for a few years.

Your point is trash. Devin Booker wasn't hyped and had a great rookie year for his style of play. Amare wasn't hyped and had a great rookie year. LeBron was hyped and had a great rookie year. Trae was hyped and had a great rookie year. Luka was hyped and had a great rookie year.

2 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

I’d say to some degree yes. Ultimately it comes down to...can you ball? If you can ball, usually a team will tailor itself to a player’s strengths. From the eye test alone, Cam looks like a baller ⛹️♀️ on all levels. 

The only thing to me that’s a mystery is if somebody gets in Cam’s face and tries to throw him off his game. How will he respond? 

If he couldn't ball, this thread wouldn't exist.

I am not making threads for Tyler Dorsey 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

You aren't watching his game, you are watching the stat sheet. 

Whenever you compare Cam and the first name that pops up is Marvin, your statement goes straight to my garbage can.

That's why I wrote this for people who simply lack foresight

I watched about 15 Duke games from start to finish. Cam simply looks like a solid player who has the skills to be a good pro.

But he's not a "killer".

The people you're comparing him to, were stone cold killers on the court who had no problem exerting their will on you.  That's not who Cam is.

Also, great players don't need a system in place in order for them to be great.  Role players do though.

Let's pump the brakes all the way on Cam, before you start having people believe that we drafted the most underrated player in NBA history.

I disagree wholeheartedly. 

There is a difference between good in HS and an elite scorer who can bust your ass at will. It's like you have no f***ing clue on this topic. Cam wasn't just a killer in HS. Cam does shit no one can do. 5 3s in a row. One from 30ft, step back, hesi, can't guard him in iso and lord don't like that man get a screen, it's Jamal Crawford 2.0. The level of HS he played which we reference isn't your church league, EYBL is the best HS players in the nation regardless of classification. Even then, in HS, he had a national schedule. Once again, stop talking about shit you don't know.

Cam got hurt during the same game but the difference was, he didn't sit like Zion did and he played through a serious groin injury. It was only Duke toughest stretch of games outside of the pre conference Maui run. 

Of the two games Cam missed, Duke was 1-1, couldn't guard the perimeter for shit and needed a player from VT blowing a wide open layup for the win and the other, they lost to an unranked Syracuse. Once again, watch the f***ing film.

He disappeared because he is an elite space player on non ball movement, non spacing, and he is the only shooter in a college game where they just sit in a zone because the opponent know Duke would kill them in M2M. It's considered to be a good defensive strategy. 

He will do that with us in my belief. He always had the want to as well but he isn't R.J. He isn't going to force his style on you, you have to have his style as a base for him to be successful. 

He is as talented as I think he is. Believe that.

Keep your emotions in check sir. I'm not cursing at you, nor will I stoop to that level.

There have been tons of players in the history of basketball that has shown the ability that Cam has.  He is not a unicorn.  

You keep making excuses as to why he didn't do this or that.  Truly great players do force their style of play on you.  Zion did it.  RJ did it.  John Collins did it at Wake Forest. Trae Young definitely did it. Why couldn't Cam do it at Duke?

For the record, I do believe that he'll be a better NBA player than he was a college player.  But you're talking as if All-Star games and All-NBA selections are in his future.  He'll have to DRAMATICALLY improve and get that killer in him, in order to reach that level.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

That's what the old man has.

I am about to purchase another desktop.. I am actually not a fan of laptops and notebooks 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Keep your emotions in check sir. I'm not cursing at you, nor will I stoop to that level.

There have been tons of players in the history of basketball that has shown the ability that Cam has.  He is not a unicorn.  

You keep making excuses as to why he didn't do this or that.  Truly great players do force their style of play on you.  Zion did it.  RJ did it.  John Collins did it at Wake Forest. Trae Young definitely did it. Why couldn't Cam do it at Duke?

For the record, I do believe that he'll be a better NBA player than he was a college player.  But you're talking as if All-Star games and All-NBA selections are in his future.  He'll have to DRAMATICALLY improve and get that killer in him, in order to reach that level.

Cut him some slack bro. We all know how he gets when his manlove grows out of control. He means well 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

Because none of them were the #2 pick in the draft.

Marvin was a bust because of where he was picked.  He's had a good career but the bust label stands.

Can't support that, maybe historically that would be accurate but looking at the last 20 years worth of drafts Marvo is sitting just outside the top 5 BEST #2 picks.

It would appear #2 is a cursed slot, I'm thinking some Native Canadian put the revenant on Stevie then skipped it on over to the Grizz after they ditched town....because it's really odd that they've had 6 #2s over that span and none really panned out.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, AHF said:

Can you fairly evaluate him when he was playing hurt nearly all season and then got surgery in the offseason?  Seems like that will also impact many of the same things you mention.

Might turn out right (I can’t predict the future) but I’d be hesitant to judge someone’s character as someone who can’t play with intensity when he was playing injured.

Yes. 

Because he's not the first player in college basketball history that has played with bumps and bruises.  His teammate did it, and came back even more of a monster.

The biggest knock on Cam last year, was his consistency and his willingness to get "into the fight".  He has all of the tools to be a good player.  It also wouldn't surprise me if he turned out to be a flat out bust, especially if he needs the "system" to bring out his greatness.

I hope everyone understands that it's eventually going to come down to who is better  . . . Cam or Kevin?   One of these guys is going to be relegated to the bench, and may have to adopt a 6th man mentality.   If Cam is truly great, he'll make Kevin expendable and become the 3rd best player on this team by Year 2.

If he isn't better than Kevin, he better prove that he can guard SFs better, and make open 3s better than D. Hunter can.  With the talent we think we have on this team right now, Cam could easily find himself in a limited minutes role, similar to Deandre Bembry ( a guy that Cam DEFINITELY needs to make expendable ).

Nothing is going to come easy for Mr. Reddish.  So he better have the mentality that he's going to have to take someone's spot.   LP isn't handing out anything to anybody.

30 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I thought I edited out the emotions. Boy was I wrong. Sorry but this was even worse before. Much worse. My apologies. I really thought I edited it out but I didn't proof read so i missed it. 

My apologies @TheNorthCydeRises

Edited by NBASupes

• Premium Member
On 7/18/2019 at 8:52 AM, sturt said:

Just for the record, and as the resident Marshall expert... I don't think Randy ever played against any Division 2 teams.

I know, I know... who cares, right?... well, but there is at least as much difference between FCS (and what used to be called I-AA) and DII as there is between FCS and FBS schools' football.

Marshall was the winningest Division I team of the 1990s, and Randy was, of course, a part of that story.

@NBASupes, yes, as I said.

(You originally said DII.)

• Like 1

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Yes. 

Because he's not the first player in college basketball history that has played with bumps and bruises.  His teammate did it, and came back even more of a monster.

The biggest knock on Cam last year, was his consistency and his willingness to get "into the fight".  He has all of the tools to be a good player.  It also wouldn't surprise me if he turned out to be a flat out bust, especially if he needs the "system" to bring out his greatness.

I hope everyone understands that it's eventually going to come down to who is better  . . . Cam or Kevin?   One of these guys is going to be relegated to the bench, and may have to adopt a 6th man mentality.   If Cam is truly great, he'll make Kevin expendable and become the 3rd best player on this team by Year 2.

If he isn't better than Kevin, he better prove that he can guard SFs better, and make open 3s better than D. Hunter can.  With the talent we think we have on this team right now, Cam could easily find himself in a limited minutes role, similar to Deandre Bembry ( a guy that Cam DEFINITELY needs to make expendable ).

Nothing is going to come easy for Mr. Reddish.  So he better have the mentality that he's going to have to take someone's spot.   LP isn't handing out anything to anybody.

I'll agree to disagree because I think it is premature.  I'm eager to see what he can do with us and have no doubt he will play a much larger role than Bembry, although I don't disagree that he could end up being a 6th man for us because Huerter and Hunter can just be that good.  I also don't think it is a dooms day scenario if he just does what the coach asks of him.  He did that for Coach K and K asked him to do a number things in situations that did not play to his strengths.  If he does what LP asks for us -- which might be to act as a secondary play maker, a stud wing defender and nail his 3's -- that could be very valuable in this era.  (Much more so than Marvin ever was for us.)

I was happy to get him at 10 and am looking forward to seeing what we have with him.  For me, between the injury and his role at Duke there is a lot of 'unknown' to what he'll be like in the NBA.

• Like 1

100% Mayo was a prime example of how lack of situation, fit, role and confidence can kill your career once you blend it in with what comes with the NBA life. 

Some will say he killed his own career but he is the prime example that you can't fit a square peg into a round hole. 

I think things would have worked better for the guy if he was O.J. Miracle Whip personally. The guy never had a chance since so many hate mayo

There is a difference between good in HS and an elite scorer who can bust your ass at will. Cam wasn't just a killer in HS. Cam does shit no one can do. 5 3s in a row. One from 30ft, step back, hesi, can't guard him in iso and lord don't like that man get a screen, it's Jamal Crawford 2.0. The level of HS he played which we reference isn't your church league, EYBL is the best HS players in the nation regardless of classification. Even then, in HS, he had a national schedule.

Cam got hurt during the same game but the difference was, he didn't sit like Zion did and he played through a serious groin injury. It was only Duke toughest stretch of games outside of the pre conference Maui run. 

Of the two games Cam missed, Duke was 1-1, couldn't guard the perimeter for shit and needed a player from VT blowing a wide open layup for the win and the other, they lost to an unranked Syracuse.

He disappeared because he is an elite space player on non ball movement, non spacing, and he is the only shooter in a college game where they just sit in a zone because the opponent know Duke would kill them in M2M. It's considered to be a good defensive strategy. You can't even say Marvin did that because Marvin didn't do that for the Tar Heels, although he did it for us.

He will do that with us in my belief. He always had the want to as well but he isn't R.J. He isn't going to force his style on you, you have to have his style as a base for him to be successful. 

He is as talented as I think he is. Believe that.

This is what I intended originally 

@TheNorthCydeRises

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 1