• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Dre’s Offensive Impact

benhillboy

I ain’t a fan.  When he scores 18 or 20 it doesn’t seem to hit.  Not like Kevin who can pass, hit timely threes, and spam short range push shots and jumpers.  Dre’s usage is 3% higher than Kevin’s with a far worse eFG and assist to turn, go figure.  

Dre’s offensive rebounding and FT game has basically been cut in half from last season (from values that weren’t great to begin with but passable).  Then he’s a well below average passer: rarely makes possession-advancing passes, has an inverted assist to turn.  Way too big to be dunking only once a week.

The staff got seduced into giving him more touches because he made strides in attacking bad close outs and developed a nice little in-out dribble move.

I loved Dre last season but I’m having second thoughts about his health, ability to mesh into a good offense given his FT and passing flaws, and ability to handle the wide scope of his defensive assignments.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

I ain’t a fan.  When he scores 18 or 20 it doesn’t seem to hit.  Not like Kevin who can pass, hit timely threes, and spam short range push shots and jumpers.  Dre’s usage is 3% higher than Kevin’s with a far worse eFG and assist to turn, go figure.  

Dre’s offensive rebounding and FT game has basically been cut in half from last season (from values that weren’t great to begin with but passable).  Then he’s a well below average passer: rarely makes possession-advancing passes, has an inverted assist to turn.  Way too big to be dunking only once a week.

The staff got seduced into giving him more touches because he made strides in attacking bad close outs and developed a nice little in-out dribble move.

I loved Dre last season but I’m having second thoughts about his health, ability to mesh into a good offense given his FT and passing flaws, and ability to handle the wide scope of his defensive assignments.

Another thing. His steal/block rate has been way down. He hasn't been as active on defense.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

See Dre before the Charolette game and after.  He hasn't been the same since Oubre assualted him on the court. 

Your points are valid.  He doesn't seem to be reading the floor and is still a ball stoper.  His handle isn't as tight as it was when he was playing well last season.  

I chop it all up to injury recovery.  

Still needs to make improvements.  The one healthy off season he had with us he came back much improved. I'll be watching for early improvements next season. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, marco102 said:

See Dre before the Charolette game and after.  He hasn't been the same since Oubre assualted him on the court. 

Your points are valid.  He doesn't seem to be reading the floor and is still a ball stoper.  His handle isn't as tight as it was when he was playing well last season.  

I chop it all up to injury recovery.  

Still needs to make improvements.  The one healthy off season he had with us he came back much improved. I'll be watching for early improvements next season. 

Maybe we can extend him for cheap. A Dorian Finny Smith type deal.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

Ball doesn't move when he's on the floor, when the ball finds him it sticks there. He is a terrible passer even when willing. His defense on the whole has been meh. He doesn't deserve even Huerter money judging by his on the court production and ignoring potential. 

He's another non fit. I was worried about this when the season started.

• Like 2

Dre looked like he was going to be a stud early last season before that knee injury. His mid range game was looking smooth, but now I’m holding my breath every time he shoots. 

I’d go back to our lineup that carried us in the post season last year. Trae needs shooters around him. 

We’ll lose some defense, but they gotta change up something…and do it fast.

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, ShooterSays said:

Dre looked like he was going to be a stud early last season before that knee injury. His mid range game was looking smooth, but now I’m holding my breath every time he shoots. 

I’d go back to our lineup that carried us in the post season last year. Trae needs shooters around him. 

We’ll lose some defense, but they gotta change up something…and do it fast.

Problem is Hunter in the second unit is a calamity. He's bad enough in the first unit with plenty of open looks and the floor spaced, Wright and Hunter on the floor together is ugly. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Makes me feel like you never watched Kittles live. I don’t see this comparison.

i don't know who I would compare Hunter too. He's physically unique for sure. Offensively he's similar to Marvin in that they were both not very fluid athletes which limited their effectiveness to use their athletic ability to go to the rack. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
On 2/12/2022 at 10:38 AM, NBASupes said:

He's a less playmaking, bigger and stronger Kerry Kittles.

well at least we didn't pass up Kobe Bryant to draft him...so there's that.

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
29 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

i don't know who I would compare Hunter too. He's physically unique for sure. Offensively he's similar to Marvin in that they were both not very fluid athletes which limited their effectiveness to use their athletic ability to go to the rack. 

I'd say his NBA comp is Kawhi Leonard taking a nap.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• Premium Member

Came here looking too see if anyone has made this post... feeling the same.  I'm losing confidence in our boy. His ceiling is becoming more and more visible with each game.  He certainly doesn't show that pre-injury promise...

Speaking offensively of course, on the other side of the ball he's just as solid.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Wretch said:

Came here looking too see if anyone has made this post... feeling the same.  I'm losing confidence in our boy. His ceiling is becoming more and more visible with each game.  He certainly doesn't show that pre-injury promise...

Speaking lively of course, on the other side of the ball he's just as solid.

One on one is fantastic, but there are plenty of holes in his defense overall. He's not great at getting over screens, he's as late as anyone rotating. 

On 2/12/2022 at 12:32 PM, Atlantaholic said:

Ball doesn't move when he's on the floor, when the ball finds him it sticks there. He is a terrible passer even when willing. His defense on the whole has been meh. He doesn't deserve even Huerter money judging by his on the court production and ignoring potential. 

I said it before he came back. That he was ball stopper on offense.Hes just too damn methodical.....If he's not gonna be great on defense then its a horrible pick at #4 of the entire draft. Just call it what it is.... We may need to go back to Bogi/Huerter.. The defense might suffer, but at least the ball should move more and the offense will flow better.....With that said He hasnt been that great on defesne lately either, so......Only thing is the bench needs Bogis scoring from the wing.. Rock and a hard place.. smh

Im praying Dre just isnt healthy right now...

Edited by terrell

On 2/12/2022 at 1:06 PM, NBASupes said:

He's another non fit. I was worried about this when the season started.

Yeah I remember us discussing it.... Why are we taking players that dont fit with Trae?   He even gave up picks to move up for him.....Good lord.. I hate bringing up old stuff.. But damn..