• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hunter is becoming Marv

Spud2nique

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, AHF said:

I think DM is such a significant talent acquisition that, in combination with adding Griffin and clearing space for JJ, it is hard for me to say our offseason was a negative net result.  I'll take DM and Griffin over Kev and Gallo (this is especially easy given what happened with Gallo).  I think some of the perception about negative net has to do with the fact that Bogi hasn't played yet.

But I do fully agree that our roster would be better had we decided to pay the tax and nixed that Kev trade because that was the one big move that was a clear negative talent loss with no real upside.  (Gallo going had the upside of making space for JJ).

I don't disagree but that space for JJ is a huge work in progress.   I hope and am cautiously optimistic it will work out but we're a long ways from that being a good thing.  

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I don't disagree but that space for JJ is a huge work in progress.   I hope and am cautiously optimistic it will work out but we're a long ways from that being a good thing.  

While I think it would still be a net positive talent situation with DM's acquisition, it is kind of a no-brainer for me since I am influenced by the fact that Gallo is out for the year anyway, though.  Even if he was healthy, I think there is a case to be made that this is the right move for the long-term but it seems like a no-brainer given that Gallo won't play a minute for Boston.  (Which is the right outcome, not playing for Boston, but not the right way to arrive there.)

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Diesel said:

I don't think Kevin is more successful at Sac.  He's just more displayed. 

His three point percentage has jumped but his 2pt percentage has taken a dive and his attempts for two pointers are down.

Here's what it means (to me).   He's on a team that doesn't require him to score inside.   He sits on the perimeter and he's the certified Gunner.   He's Kyle Korver in SacTown. 

They don't require him to try to be a part of the offense otherwise.   He has a real Big who dominates touches and scores mainly in the paint.  He has a PG who drives and scores mainly in the paint.   And then there's Keegan.  Keegan is a PF who can score from anywhere.  All this attention else gives Kev enough space to be Kyle Korver.  It's great coaching and great GMing.

When he was here, our lineup was Trae, Kev, Hunter, JC, and Clint.   Out offense mainly came out of a PNR set.   IN that two man game, everybody else struggles to find their role.   It's efficient because Trae is a great PG and the ball always knows where it's going... but the 2, 3, and 4 are castigated to being three point shooters and never have to move without the ball. Even though they should.  Kev attempted more 2s with us and it would have opened his game if he were more willing to shoot two...ie. move without the ball and make himself a finisher in the lane. 

IN SacTown, they don't run that way.  I'm not going to say that the ball moves better from side to side but I will say that Sabonis and Keegan makes his life easier. 

If he was getting to the line, increasing his shot attempts per game or doing something different I would be even more impressed. However, He is shooting over 50 percent from 3 and making 1 more 3 a game though which we need badly right now.. I liked Huerter better at SF here with Bogi at the 2.. His D wasnt quite as bad when he wasnt next to Trae..

Edited by terrell

4 hours ago, ShooterSays said:

We made it to the ECF with a Trae / Bogi / Huerter backcourt. Wonder what could have been this year with -

Trae / Murray / Huerter

Defense would obviously not be as good as it is now with Hunter, but this lineup wouldn't be having the shooting issues we're having now.

Thats  what Im saying.. Trae Bogi Huerter was our best lineup during our run.. Hunter is kinda a black hole on offense..

Edited by terrell
  • Like 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, terrell said:

If he was getting to the line, increasing his shot attempts per game or doing something different I would be even more impressed. However, He is shooting over 50 percent from 3 and making 1 more 3 a game though which we need badly right now.. I liked Huerter better at SF here with Bogi at the 2.. His D wasnt quite as bad when he wasnt next to Trae..

He is getting to the line a lot more.  His 2.8 FTA/gm is a real edge over his 0.7 last year (4x as many per game).  Maybe two more trips to the line isn't monumental but it does make a difference for his total scoring and efficiency.

• Like 2

The Huerter trade was a pure business move, and not surprisingly a bad move from an on court basketball perspective.  Hawks will need Bogi to get healthy or one of the young guys to step up to give the bench some more teeth.  

The good news is that Murray and Cap are balling.  If Trae gets himself right all will be good, even if Hunter is very meh and Collins has been bad outside of the first two games of the year.

2 hours ago, theheroatl said:

Hunter saw my post about not adding anything.. He needs to stay aggressive and find his spots. That's when he is on. He varies his shots too much. I think if he can't finish well he needs to be a high % mid-range spot shooter.

Hunter saw all of our post for the last 2 years, about not adding anything.

One game does not make a trend.  Give us that effort for at least the next 5 games, then we may have something. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
On 3/4/2022 at 9:32 PM, JayBirdHawk said:

The demise of one De’Andre James Hunter has been greatly exaggerated. :laugh1:

26pts on 8-12, 3-5 from 3 and a most impressive 7-7 from the freethrow line.

On 3/4/2022 at 9:48 PM, JayBirdHawk said:

I think you need to keep dogging him so he continues to play well, lol.

As usual the issue with Hunter is - how to bottle this play last night so it translates more often than not. How does he build on this si teams have to really gameplan to defend him as well as gameplan for our guards.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
On 11/14/2022 at 10:36 AM, AHF said:

While I think it would still be a net positive talent situation with DM's acquisition, it is kind of a no-brainer for me since I am influenced by the fact that Gallo is out for the year anyway, though.  Even if he was healthy, I think there is a case to be made that this is the right move for the long-term but it seems like a no-brainer given that Gallo won't play a minute for Boston.  (Which is the right outcome, not playing for Boston, but not the right way to arrive there.)

Gallo was was in very evident decline, last year he was a real shell of the player he had been in OKC, heck he had already taken a big step down his first year here so that was two years back to back his play had fallen off quite sharply. At his age and size that was a big red flag even if he hadn't gotten hurt. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Most impressed by his free-throws, means he is aggressive going to the basket.

We need exactly that from Hunter. He won't rebound and he can't make plays for others so we need him to get to that line and become a super efficient scorer, using that huge body to take it to the rack and force refs to make some calls is the easiest way for him to achieve thar. The more he makes it a habit the more he'll get the benefit of the whistle. Last game against Milwaukee was the most I've ever seen him get calls so it might already be happening. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Atlantaholic said:

Gallo was was in very evident decline, last year he was a real shell of the player he had been in OKC, heck he had already taken a big step down his first year here so that was two years back to back his play had fallen off quite sharply. At his age and size that was a big red flag even if he hadn't gotten hurt. 

Agreed.  I also think the Huerter move is still a difficult one to judge, and is being heavily influence by his hot start and Bogi's injury recovery delay.  DM replaced Huerter and we needed draft capital back.  The FO is thinking Bogi was a top 6th man that will be ready to start the season and in many ways superior player to Huerter.  In a world where Bogi is back, plus we have AJ, where does Huerter fit? 

Also, even considering Huerter's start, we got a 1st round pick for him.  Is he worth two 1st rounders?  I still think the value of our return holds up. 

Just like trading Cam helped us get DM.  There will be a day we are really glad to have that pick in a trade or even if we use it in the draft.  TS draft results in the middle to late 1st round is pretty stellar.