• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hunter is becoming Marv

Spud2nique

• Moderators
3 hours ago, EazyRoc said:

Sure he has. If he was just another guy, he wouldn’t have trade value. 

What is he top 10 at?  I haven't seen it.  I like him and remain excited about his future but he is in a position where he needs to prove he can step up for more than a hot couple of weeks.  Most of his career has been very mediocre.  I'm hoping the playoffs and a healthy offseason are a lead into him breaking out this season.

As far as his trade value, we have no idea whether he has significant trade value or not.  The only trade offer any of us know about for him took place at the time of the draft.  I am sure the Hawks got offers for all their starters this offseason and didn't like any of them enough to pull the trigger.  (The Huerter offer would have been laughed at had we not been essentially dumping him due to congestion after the Murray trade.  Huerter absolutely got traded for two JAGs, a pick, and cap relief).  In the absence of a reported trade offer, it is hard to gauge anything.  All we have on him is the kind of vague rumor like "Utah wanted him in a trade scenario for Rudy Gobert" but that doesn't tell us much unless we also know the rest of the package.  Were they offering Gobert straight up for Hunter plus filler?  He has star trade value then.  Were they offering Gobert for Hunter plus three unprotected first round picks and a pick swap?  Then they view him as equally valuable as a 2029 protected first round pick.  Not quite the same.  I think all we can do is speculate as to his trade value today.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, AHF said:

What is he top 10 at?  I haven't seen it.  I like him and remain excited about his future but he is in a position where he needs to prove he can step up for more than a hot couple of weeks.  Most of his career has been very mediocre.  I'm hoping the playoffs and a healthy offseason are a lead into him breaking out this season.

As far as his trade value, we have no idea whether he has significant trade value or not.  The only trade offer any of us know about for him took place at the time of the draft.  I am sure the Hawks got offers for all their starters this offseason and didn't like any of them enough to pull the trigger.  (The Huerter offer would have been laughed at had we not been essentially dumping him due to congestion after the Murray trade.  Huerter absolutely got traded for two JAGs, a pick, and cap relief).  In the absence of a reported trade offer, it is hard to gauge anything.  All we have on him is the kind of vague rumor like "Utah wanted him in a trade scenario for Rudy Gobert" but that doesn't tell us much unless we also know the rest of the package.  Were they offering Gobert straight up for Hunter plus filler?  He has star trade value then.  Were they offering Gobert for Hunter plus three unprotected first round picks and a pick swap?  Then they view him as equally valuable as a 2029 protected first round pick.  Not quite the same.  I think all we can do is speculate as to his trade value today.

He’s a Top 10 3 and D player. I’ve said this already. I’m not going to waste time arguing this bc defense is not something that is very quantifiable. But he is a very good defender and a 38% 3pt shooter. I can’t name 10 role players in the same role who are better.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, EazyRoc said:

He’s a Top 10 3 and D player. I’ve said this already. I’m not going to waste time arguing this bc defense is not something that is very quantifiable. But he is a very good defender and a 38% 3pt shooter. I can’t name 10 role players in the same role who are better.

3 and D? He's our starting small forward. He's not a top 10 starting small forward by any measure. 

• Like 1

On 6/12/2022 at 1:53 PM, JayBirdHawk said:

Really need this kind of defense from Hunter next season.

I’ve said this for a while now and I believe Hunter has elite defensively ability waiting to be unleashed! ….Hunters mindset need to change in my opinion. It seems like he’s too focused on being an all around player rather than sticking with what’s working right now and what’s working right now is his defensive ability can easily be his bread and butter.

As much as Smart gets clowned for all the antics he does he approaches the game in a smart way by putting all his energy in on defense. Once or IF Hunter does that on defense the success and money will come.

On 6/12/2022 at 3:56 PM, aali34 said:

Hunter's only question mark is health. If he is healthy I'm confident he'll average around 18ppg next season easy.

This offseason is key, if he comes back with a reliable handle and a fade-away J(his release point is so high that it would be almost impossible to block) I can see the team running all the actions they had for Gallo for him.

I don’t think we’ll see Hunter get anywhere near 18pts. I think Hunters best approach is to find a way to fit with Trae and Murray offensively without forcing it. I want to see Hunter focus in on defense and let the offense come to him. Capela and Collins on the other hand is a lot more likely to avg 16-18 pts after Trae and Murray get theirs in my opinion.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

What I need from Hunter is for him to stay healthy, make his way into the top 'wing defenders' category, rebound the ball, be a more willing passer and be opportunistic and efficient on offense.

• Like 4

• Moderators
On 7/16/2022 at 7:21 AM, EazyRoc said:

Probably a matter of line drawing.  I think of the top 3&D guys as the top guys who are plus defenders and proficient 3pt shooters.  Kevin Durant has qualified for this in the past.  Kawhi Leonard has definitely been the best 3&D guy in the league in certain seasons.  For me, it is more about what the player can do and 3&D guys are plus defenders who also spread the floor and improve spacing on offense.

Sounds like you are using the term not as simply noting proficiency in those areas but also incorporating the concept that the player can’t be good enough to be more than a role player.  So if a guy is a 3&D guy but becomes a star or a complete player then they are too good to be a 3&D guy anymore.

So that makes sense why he isn’t on my list but makes yours after you eliminate most of the guys who are clearly better than him by virtue of your definition.

I want to see Hunter enter the conversation of 10 best 3&D players by my methodology.  

2 hours ago, AHF said:

Probably a matter of line drawing.  I think of the top 3&D guys as the top guys who are plus defenders and proficient 3pt shooters.  Kevin Durant has qualified for this in the past.  Kawhi Leonard has definitely been the best 3&D guy in the league in certain seasons.  For me, it is more about what the player can do and 3&D guys are plus defenders who also spread the floor and improve spacing on offense.

Sounds like you are using the term not as simply noting proficiency in those areas but also incorporating the concept that the player can’t be good enough to be more than a role player.  So if a guy is a 3&D guy but becomes a star or a complete player then they are too good to be a 3&D guy anymore.

So that makes sense why he isn’t on my list but makes yours after you eliminate most of the guys who are clearly better than him by virtue of your definition.

I want to see Hunter enter the conversation of 10 best 3&D players by my methodology.  

I am similar. When you say 3&D that means only that in my eyes. You are a role player that defends and will space the floor on offense. We aren’t running iso plays for you, asking you to be in PNR action, or play make for others. You get out of the way and shoot when you are open.

I think Dre and other youngsters should try to master this before opening up the other parts of their games.  However, he already gave us a glimpse of what he could do with the ball in his hands, so in my eyes he is no longer a 3 and D candidate because he can already do much more than that. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AHF said:

This is just about correct. I am implying that said player currently isn’t more than a role player. I do believe he could be more than that. Which is why I wouldn’t include KD, but would include Klay as someone who would probably be top of the list.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
35 minutes ago, aali34 said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/ChsIrSvu2PX/

I've been saying for the longest Dre needs a turn-around J in his package. With Gallo gone he's now our best source for mid-post offense. Glad to see him grinding.

A lot of people will be enjoying themselves some over cooked crow!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1