• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Pistons (Freaky Friday)

lethalweapon3

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, FL_BRYANT said:

Just looking for a defender who can match up against guys like Cunningham.  Dunn was a very good defender very physical. No offense thou.

Cunningham is one of those guys.   He's one of those guys who you will have to concede points to because his game is that good.  He reminds me of Grant Hill.   Even though he's a "PG", his ability to get to the basket is as effortless as Hill's.   Looking over their young guys, in a few years, they will be a problem..  Cunningham, Ivey, and Duren...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Cunningham is one of those guys.   He's one of those guys who you will have to concede points to because his game is that good.  He reminds me of Grant Hill.   Even though he's a "PG", his ability to get to the basket is as effortless as Hill's.   Looking over their young guys, in a few years, they will be a problem..  Cunningham, Ivey, and Duren...

That's why you need a bigger defender.  Can't stop but make it harder to score. Get a bunch of fouls trying to get him out of his game. I do like the Pistons nucleus.

2 hours ago, FL_BRYANT said:

I Some early season ramblings. Where is Kris Dunn? Not sure we would want him back,, may have burned bridges.We need a more physical perimeter defender than JHOLIDAY for guys like Cunningham.  Hawks aren't pushing the ball like they did in the first couple of games. It is starting to look like last year's offense with Trae dominating the ball. How does JC get so few shots in a half or game. Don't want to see us fall back into just a pnr team with the ball in Trae's hands  taking turns handling the ball with Murray. It is easy to fall back into a Pnr team especially since we run it so well. Then we run into a Miami in the playoffs and they shut it completely down. Is Trae moving without the ball or waiting to get the ball back? Don't want to fall back into old habits under utilizing  Hunter and Collins who seem to get their offense going better when we are running and they get the ball in transition.  Also Collins can get better low post position when we are running. 

Early observation is the Hawks are still too small and lack three point shooting.  Will struggle against bigger teams like Charlotte with Richards. I didn't like  the Heuter trade, rather have Kev than Holiday. Wish we could have added a second Bogdanovic to replace Gallo's three pt shooting. I understand the implications of the Tax.  Hopfully JHOLIDAY supplies  more shooting but I have my doubts. Want to see a well balanced offense, with pace not one completely  dominated by our guards. Want to make sure we are using our forwards.

Second team did a good job. Over all a good job just want to see them running more,pushing the ball up court. Very few wholes but could use some size and three pt shooting  come playoffs, by then maybe some of the younger players  like AJ and JJ will be contributing along with the  return of Bogi. Can we get some shooting from Big Frank?  Still very early, let's take a look twenty games in.Then we will see what we have. Good start .

GO HAWKS!!!

Just some early observations. Nothing to get excited about. Hope the Hawks push the ball.

Hunter and Collins  are more involved when the Hawks push the ball. Can't have them sitting in the corner watching.  Need movement and pace.

Have to be careful because it will be easy to fall back into a Pnr game which they do well but is easier to defend come  playoffs  when we are playing better teams.  Looking at the teams in the east we need everybody  playing well not just our guards.  I think you do that with pace. It is not just about a win that counts but how we win means a lot.

• Like 1

Raptor538 day to day is in

1 Trae Young'22-'23 +7.2 -4.3 +2.9 0.4

2 Dejounte Murray'22-'23 -0.8 +2.2 +1.4 0.3

3 John Collins'22-'23 -1.3 +3.9 +2.6 0.4

4 Aaron Holiday'22-'23 -1.4 +4.2 +2.7 0.2

5 De'Andre Hunter'22-'23 -1.8 +1.5 -0.3 0.2

6 Clint Capela'22-'23 -2.4 +5.6 +3.3 0.3

7 Jalen Johnson'22-'23 -2.6 -7.2 -9.8 -0.2

8 Onyeka Okongwu'22-'23 -2.8 -4.4 -7.2 -0.2

9 Justin Holiday'22-'23 -2.9 -6.5 -9.4 -0.3

This didn't add today's game. 

Trae is the only positive offensive player which makes since because before tonight, our offense has been terrible  

The bench unit is performing poorly which also makes sense as before tonight, it's been poor. I will say, Okongwu with a -0.2 WAR is surprising to me but he was so bad against DET last game, it probably killed his metrics. Hopefully, tomorrow, he's at least a positive again.

The defense outside of Trae has been very very good. 

All of the starters + Aaron Holiday are a net positive by a large margin. 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 3

50 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

Trae was perfection tonight.  So many ridiculous dimes.  Not sure any other guy in the league can pass like Trae.  
That win was cathartic.  First game of the year we looked good start to finish.  Jalen came out of his shell a little more.  Probably OO’s best game, too.  
I’ll have to ask @shakes, but we at least have a chance to be good this year.  
- Hunter gets whistles like he’s a rookie guarding Jordan.  Collins and OO get some stupid calls, too.  Worst officiated game of the year.

- AJ looks awesome.  He’s so smooth.  Could we play Bogi and AJ together?  

Nice win, great to get two on the road.  Now let’s keep the momentum and beat Milwaukee.  

These surveys that include 'best passer' lists that include basic a** passers but exclude Trae aren't worth the paper they're not written on.

Eta. Glad we took care of business in the 2nd half.  Now the first real game of the season is upon us.  Hope we fare well.  

Edited by kg01
  • Like 3

Looking forward to the test tonight. If DJ stays aggressive we win. JC really active around the boards so hopefully he keeps that up throughout the season. 

If you remember, our ECF run was basically powered by his activeness and his clutch plays.

Hunter driving and finishing at the rim will be a big factor in our offensive success. 

• Like 3

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/nba-player-ratings/?player=Moussa Diabate&season=2023

Because it's so early in the season, it's nothing to see massive swings. 

Trae is 3rd in offensive raptor

Hawks have four players with positive offensive contributions who play the min amount of allotted minutes. 

Only Justin Holiday has a negative WAR.

A.J. Griffin has the highest total RAPTOR and offensive RAPTOR of anyone who's played 5 minutes or more. 

So far, so good. Usually a blowout is what does that for you.

Justin Holiday is really struggling. A worse defensive RAPTOR than Trae. 

• Like 4

Just finished the game! Wow, Trae rocked them the first half and DM the 2nd, they just kinda took turns beating up the Pistons. They did it within the team flow as well.

The hustle was there from everyone as well. OO played magnificently, doing all the little things that lead to WINNING. Aaron Holiday gives 110%.

AJ has a synergy with the rim. I said it before he’s been in the pro game essential since he was 2 😂. Another playground bucket 🪣 for him too that was awkward but a sweet improvisation on the go.

Nice work from JJ as well. He did everything in the opportunity he got. 

4-1 Folks!!!!! I’ll take it. This was big too because it ain’t easy to sweep a team back to back games on their floor.

This was our best and most complete game of the season.

Onto Milwaukee for the bigger test.

GO HAWKS!!!!!!! :cheer:

• Like 3