• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Warriors

lethalweapon3

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, Watchman said:

But he told everyone he would do it.

He didn't say he definitely would.  He said he wasn't afraid to pay it and would if it made business sense.  Problem is he didn't wait to see if it did.  He made the decision to not pay it prior to the start of this season and apparently making the decision to not pay it next season again per @Sothron

5 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I don't want us to pay the Tax just to pay it - I want it to make good business sense.  So I get wanting to avoid the tax this year, I just think the move with Huerter came too soon particularly with Bogi on the shelf from surgery.  Tax payment is calculated at the end of the season so there was time to see what we had with Huerter the first few months of the season. It seems as if part of the Huerter trade was also recouping picks from the Murray trade - that doesn't sit well with me since we had not even played a game as yet.

My concern going into the season was always the bench limitations, not just from a talent perspective but from a continuity perspective as well.  OO (and Bogi when healthy) was the only returning player(s).   It was always going to be an uphill battle.

One other thing - the way I see it, when we signed Gallo I always maintained that he would be trade in his final year.  They did not groom and develop his replacement in JJ to take over that role this year. 

The Final thing - the report that they also want to AVOID THE TAX next season as well screams RED FLAG!!!

I agree, the timing of the Kevin trade sucked. But I love Delon and he would help for sure but that tax is unforgiving. You get unto it this year, you will lose on a lot of league money which covers expenses. Not saying Travis isn't trying to win but he's trying to run a profitable business. He's actually doing good at that part. It's the rest.

1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

I agree, the timing of the Kevin trade sucked. But I love Delon and he would help for sure but that tax is unforgiving. You get unto it this year, you will lose on a lot of league money which covers expenses. Not saying Travis isn't trying to win but he's trying to run a profitable business. He's actually doing good at that part. It's the rest.

From the article you posted, it seems Delon didn't want to be here anymore with the way Nate was using him.  He was a free agent.

Just now, bleachkit said:

Can any team win a championship without paying the luxury tax? 

If you draft a generational talent and have a generational talent on hand.  I believe the 1999 Spurs may have been under the luxury tax, but that's only a feeling and not fact checked.

• Thanks 1

Just now, marco102 said:

From the article you posted, it seems Delon didn't want to be here anymore with the way Nate was using him.  He was a free agent.

He said he was open to resigning at the time. We never made an offer. His opinion now is based on his current experience 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
Just now, bleachkit said:

Yes, but only under rare circumstances of which we are not anywhere close to.  It's usually players that are underpaid because they had injury concerns at the time of their extensions (Steph ankle concerns) or teams that have 3rd/4th year guys contributing heavily on their rookie scale deals.  There might be other exceptions but it's rare and it's never sustained.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, bleachkit said:

Yes but it gotta hit home runs in the draft. Like get supreme superstars in the draft. In the modern NBA, depth is king and starting quality is king so its difficult to do that without being in the LT. Teams that avoid it look like the Miami Heat where their level of play varies vastly year after year. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

A mid-season JC trade for someone that can shoot 3s would make a big difference in our offense.  Even a lesser player that fit better would be a big improvement.  I can't believe we didn't get Lauri man.  If reports are true that offered Lauri and 2 firsts for JC, that's an all-time GM fumble, and it sounds like Landry was making the calls...

Other Bogi in Detroit should be available

• Like 1

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, marco102 said:

If you draft a generational talent and have a generational talent on hand.  I believe the 1999 Spurs may have been under the luxury tax, but that's only a feeling and not fact checked.

the salary cap in the 1998-1998 season was $30 million - WOW, just WOW.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, marco102 said:

1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

the salary cap in the 1998-1998 season was $30 million - WOW, just WOW.

Spurs payroll was $43 million, with DRob the highest paid at $14 million.....not sure what the LT was though.

• Premium Member

We keep doing the same thing and expect a different result.  It's mind numbingly bad!

The Hawks scored 62 points during the first 18 minutes of the 2nd half They only scored 6 points the last 5:46 of regulation They went heavy Trae/DJM iso ball during that stretch and (shocker) it didn’t work

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AHF said:

If you owned a team and were hiring a coach, would you hire Nate for this roster?  Everything I hoped to see from a coach with Trae and DM, I have not seen.  I don't see anything schematically to optimize them - just a "take turns running the team while the other one stands by" approach which is hard for me to watch.  I've already said my piece for Nate down the stretch.  Putting Bogi in to defend, emphasizing running the clock over running plays, etc.

I don't think Nate is hard to read for when he is upset with what is happening on the floor, and I see an offensive scheme that makes my eyes bleed at times and Nate seems perfectly content with it.

I 100% agree with this.  I want to say Murray and Trae are a bad fit but I honestly can't be sure given how badly the offense is orchestrated.  Hawks are playing 4 on 5 most of the time which completely removes the advantage of having two facilitators on the floor at the same time.  

• Premium Member
56 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

He didn't say he definitely would.  He said he wasn't afraid to pay it and would if it made business sense.  Problem is he didn't wait to see if it did.  He made the decision to not pay it prior to the start of this season and apparently making the decision to not pay it next season again per @Sothron

Every team owner says they will pay the LT. It is necessary for public relations and not to completely hamstring your own FO when trying to make trades or sign players. In reality we are not paying the LT this year and are heavily against paying it next season as well. 

Unless Nick Ressler and/or Fields can convince Tony otherwise for next season of course. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1