The Official NBASupes, Sothron, and theCampster Insider Thread - NBA 2022-23 Season

NBASupes

11 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Let me tell you a little story Marco....

A few decades ago in the infancy of Hawksquwk.. we had a segment called "Ask the GM".  Squawkers made up intelligent question and Pete Babcock was supposed to come on and answer a few.   And everything went well.  Babcock was a perfect guest and answered a few questions of Hawks fans on the #1 messageboard of the Hawks.

I happened to run into Babcock a few months later in Hartsfield.   We were both going to Pittsburgh.   I said to him, that was a great thing you did on Hawksquawk.net.   He looked at me all beady eyed and said.. "Hawksquawk.net  What's that?"

I take a lot of the "my sources" stuff as entertainment.   Because there are some people who get a rise out of making themselves feel important enough to be in the know.   I don't call anybody a liar because I don't know, it could be truth.   However, even if it's true, how do we know that the source is not getting a rise?  And how do we know if the source is not putting their own spin on stuff?  What if the source really wants Nate fired.   How easy would it be for the source to drop rumor about Nate on the #1 messageboard for the Hawks that they know that many media sources partake.. to get rumor out.    People are lazy Marco.  There are very few journalist in this day and time.   Instead of getting it from somebody standing next to the man, standing next to the man, standing next to the man...  I would just rather here it from THE MAN.

No problem with that.

Edited by marco102
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, Diesel said:

I said to him, that was a great thing you did on Hawksquawk.net.   He looked at me all beady eyed and said.. "Hawksquawk.net  What's that?"

Sooooooooooooo... wait... you think Arthur Triche (Hawks PR man back then and for so many years) played us, then?

Honestly, I never even gave it a second thought. He seemed completely authentic to me. No, really. I'm thinking Babcock probably being so internet illiterate back then in the early days probably had someone else doing the typing.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, Diesel said:

@sturt

Who was playing the role of Babcock on the "Ask the GM" Segment years ago??

Diesel, I'm telling you as honestly as I can be, I have no reason to believe it wasn't Babcock. (See previous post.)

• Like 1

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, sturt said:

Diesel, I'm telling you as honestly as I can be, I have no reason to believe it wasn't Babcock. (See previous post.)

@sturt

Thanks man.  After talking to Babcock that day... I suspected that there were a lot of tomfoolery going on here.. or there.  It's good to clear this up 20 years later.   I didn't think about that he could have had somebody answering for him .. it just didn't hit me that way...and we were on a flight and I didn't want to come off as one of those groupie kind of people because I really didn't like him that much after he traded Nique...

But thanks for clearing that up though. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
24 minutes ago, marco102 said:

🤔

This goes on a lot more than people think.

There was a famous example of a Vancouver Grizzlies writer/fan, its been so long I think it might have been an early sports blogger, who got to be the scorekeeper one game for the Grizz. He intentionally inflated Mike Bibby's assist numbers to show that (unlike hockey which was what he was comparing it to) NBA stats are very arbitrary. This also tied into the many years of John Stockton's assist numbers being questioned because in Utah he got a lot of assists that honestly I don't think he earned either. Stockton is still the greatest PG of all time don't get me wrong but some of those numbers he got were simply not earned.

So seeing the Grizz scorekeeper artificially inflate JJJ's stats does not surprise me. Hawks fans old enough might remember the OPPOSITE happening to Deke. He was robbed both in Atlanta and on the road of not getting enough block credits. They would either credit another player or not give anyone credit for a block when it was obvious Deke got his hand on the ball to block it.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, sturt said:

Oh. So... you pronounce it "Jay-Haul"  and "A-Haul" then? Forgive me. I presumed too much. There's nothing disrespectful then, even by my prudish standard. Never mind.

Their last name is Holiday (as in holly)  not Holy-Day

@TheNorthCydeRises

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Sothron said:

This goes on a lot more than people think.

There was a famous example of a Vancouver Grizzlies writer/fan, its been so long I think it might have been an early sports blogger, who got to be the scorekeeper one game for the Grizz. He intentionally inflated Mike Bibby's assist numbers to show that (unlike hockey which was what he was comparing it to) NBA stats are very arbitrary. This also tied into the many years of John Stockton's assist numbers being questioned because in Utah he got a lot of assists that honestly I don't think he earned either. Stockton is still the greatest PG of all time don't get me wrong but some of those numbers he got were simply not earned.

So seeing the Grizz scorekeeper artificially inflate JJJ's stats does not surprise me. Hawks fans old enough might remember the OPPOSITE happening to Deke. He was robbed both in Atlanta and on the road of not getting enough block credits. They would either credit another player or not give anyone credit for a block when it was obvious Deke got his hand on the ball to block it.

Everything you're saying is true.  The exception here is JJJ is getting credited for blocks where he didn't touch the ball and steals where no change is possession happened.  That's fiction and is over and beyond the usual home cookin'. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Everything you're saying is true.  The exception here is JJJ is getting credited for blocks where he didn't touch the ball and steals where no change is possession happened.  That's fiction and is over and beyond the usual home cookin'. 

https://deadspin.com/an-assist-for-nick-van-exel-how-an-nba-scorekeeper-coo-30967240

Another Grizzlies example of a guy intentionally making up official numbers. He also admits to not crediting Deke for blocks simply because he didn't like him.

• Sad 3

13 hours ago, marco102 said:

Even JJ's improving with more playing time.

he could low key become one of our most important pieces. We simply don't have another skill set of someone with that size that's able to push the rock himself and see the floor, using his height to his advantage. Keep giving him more PT, Nate.... - I mean! Someone keep forcing Nate to not be an idiot!

• Like 2

• Premium Member
57 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Their last name is Holiday (as in holly)  not Holy-Day

@TheNorthCydeRises

Right, but... so... when you wrote it "Hol".... sooooooooooo... it's not "Bole Bole" when Jay speaks about that guy Bol Bol, but "Ball Ball"... ?

Hmm. Well, okay then. Thanks for clearing that up.

Still, seems we have a dilemma. Who's really to say. To each his/her own, I suppose.

47 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I wasn't here for those days but on espn.com and the hawks.com site Babcock would answer questions from time to time by fans. On the hawks site they would do live Q&A with him and usually a Hawks player.

I participated in one of those... circa 99/2000. I was pushing on them to go after Ben Wallace before he blew up and for some reason I really liked Alvin Williams of the Raptors and was pushing for him to try and obtain his as a good PG fit.... were those the days of us starting... was his name Mike Wilkes at PG?

• Like 2

• Premium Member
45 minutes ago, sturt said:

Right, but... so... when you wrote it "Hol".... sooooooooooo... it's not "Bole Bole" when Jay speaks about that guy Bol Bol, but "Ball Ball"... ?

Hmm. Well, okay then. Thanks for clearing that up.

Still, seems we have a dilemma. Who's really to say. To each his/her own, I suppose.

Have at it.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/pronunciation/english/holiday

• Haha 2

• Premium Member
17 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Oh. You're just going with his full last name now, then? JHoliday? Abandoning JHol?

(I concur. JHol isn't so bad, but it leaves his brother in a ... dare I say crappy... spot. That is, unless there's a whole other anatomical reference that applies to JHol that I'm just too naive to know about. JHoliday is an improvement.)

You're the boss of you. Have at it.

(hehe)