• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Warriors at Hawks

lethalweapon3

• Premium Member
57 minutes ago, sturt said:

While that is true, ATL is not some small city where there's simply not enough homegrown 2nd and 3rd generation fans.

That to me is more of an excuse than a reason.

ATL, iirc, is the 8th largest metropolitan statistical area in the US, ahead of places like MIA and BOS even.

Always going to have some other fans in the building, but it's past time for ATL to dominate their own arena night-in-night-out.

I think the bigger problem is that Atlanta doesn't have a "Sports Identity.".    We just don't.   Our fans have never been All in for the team.  When you go to Philly, you see all in fans.   When you go to NY, you see All in Fans.  When you go to Detroit, you see All In Fans... but in Atlanta...  Not the case. 

That's why it's easy for Lebron and the Lakers to come to town and their be more Lakers fans than Hawks fans in the building.  But Trae is changing that.   Most of our 31 sellouts is a direct response to Trae Young.  He can do what Deion never got the chance to do... Establish an Atlanta Fanbase that's strong.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, theheroatl said:

Great team effort game but we all knew we would win because we have to get back to mid. Just like tomorrow we will win then the next game we will lose to get back to even. It’s a magical season lol.

I’m happy for Trae finally figuring out his defensive niche. He won’t have to endure the nonsensical criticism if he keeps up this quickness and steal style.

Hawks are

1-1 in their last 2

2-2 in their last 4

3-3 in their last 6

4-4 in their last 8

5-5 in their last 10

6-6 in their last 12

7-7 in their last 14

8-8 in their last 16

9-9 in their last 18

10-10 in their last 20

11-11 in their last 22

13-13 in their last 26

Mid is exactly right.. lol

14 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

It’s like a dude starin in the mirror :huh:🪞 

Ya, I agree (cough cough) I hate those guys…

We read in the Bible:

A man looks at his face in a mirror and after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like.   James 1:24-25   NIV

When you look in a mirror, remember who that guy in the mirror is!

:smug:

• Thanks 2

• Premium Member
28 minutes ago, Diesel said:

I think the bigger problem is that Atlanta doesn't have a "Sports Identity."... But Trae is changing that.   Most of our 31 sellouts is a direct response to Trae Young.  He can do what Deion never got the chance to do... Establish an Atlanta Fanbase that's strong.

I don't live there, of course, but travel through on occasion.

Would it be accurate to say that the Falcons and Braves have the same situation?

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, sturt said:

Depends on one's definition of "ends well" I suppose.

Sometimes something should be said, and to not say it is its own poison.

JC is such a positive personality to begin with, that, on a night when he shined, I think he has some special leverage. Good on you, John.

And yet...as a JC fan...have a bad game consistently..should he be boo'ed louder?? Fickle is..as Fickle does  

• Premium Member
24 minutes ago, deester11 said:

And yet...as a JC fan...have a bad game consistently..should he be boo'ed louder?? Fickle is..as Fickle does  

Sorry, I just don't embrace this Philly fan mentality.

That's what talk radio is for.

But when you're in the building, the idea is that "our" team is our  team, and we're there to encourage them, or at worst, let them know they're not giving us anything to cheer for, by staying silent.

(Last night there was plenty to cheer for, of course.)

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, sturt said:

Would it be accurate to say that the Falcons and Braves have the same situation?

Yes...

I can't explain the Braves situation except to say that Baseball on a whole has lost it's zeal.   However, the Falcons are a definite yes.   At one point, the Falcons could have won the city..  Glanville, Deion, and Rison...  But somebody thought it was a good idea to let Deion go.   Then there was Vick...   Well, you see what happened...   Then there was the Lost to the Pats.   But I don't even know if that team had enough swagger to bring the fanbase around. Matty Ice was about like Joe Cool.  Very good players but not commanding the attention of the crowd. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sturt said:

Sorry, I just don't embrace this Philly fan mentality.

That's what talk radio is for.

But when you're in the building, the idea is that "our" team is our  team, and we're there to encourage them, or at worst, let them know they're not giving us anything to cheer for, by staying silent.

(Last night there was plenty to cheer for, of course.)

Well that's all well and good.  I'm born, bred and raised in the A. I get what you're saying but as others have stated, transient fans are a thing.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, deester11 said:

Well that's all well and good.  I'm born, bred and raised in the A. I get what you're saying but as others have stated, transient fans are a thing.  

The transient fans are able because we have no real "ID" in the A.   It's cool that we have 31 sellouts for the Hawks.  A lot of those sellouts are a marketing team working hard to get people in the doors.   Some of it is an atmosphere that has been created.. and some is a little more ease to get to the game.  But how much of that is Fan of the HAWKS.

The Marketing and sales team work their preverbal butts off.. and transients say... hey, that's a good deal.. I can go and see Bron or Steph...  I can go and see Luka.

There's not enough Hawk love to make the Hawks the reason why people come.   And that's an Atlanta thing.  The city too big to care. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, sturt said:

I don't live there, of course, but travel through on occasion.

I would agree that the Falcons are the same.

The Braves are different.  So many across the southeast (and US overall) became Braves fans during the TBS Superstation days.  The Braves have also been consistent winners for almost 35 years now.  Braves fans are diehards.  

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
17 minutes ago, Jdawgflow said:

The Braves are different.

That's been my impression. And I think the rationale for that is probably solid.... but, then again, some of us remember that not only were Braves games broadcast widely over WTBS, so were the Hawks'. So how did the Hawks fail to benefit, one wonders.

• Premium Member
22 minutes ago, sturt said:

That's been my impression. And I think the rationale for that is probably solid.... but, then again, some of us remember that not only were Braves games broadcast widely over WTBS, so were the Hawks'. So how did the Hawks fail to benefit, one wonders.

I would say the reason they failed to benefit was directly related to them not being consistent winners.  Everyone loves a winner. The Braves have played to win for a long time.  The Hawks have played to entertain (at best) or to just have the owners make money.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Diesel said:

The transient fans are able because we have no real "ID" in the A.   It's cool that we have 31 sellouts for the Hawks.  A lot of those sellouts are a marketing team working hard to get people in the doors.   Some of it is an atmosphere that has been created.. and some is a little more ease to get to the game.  But how much of that is Fan of the HAWKS.

The Marketing and sales team work their preverbal butts off.. and transients say... hey, that's a good deal.. I can go and see Bron or Steph...  I can go and see Luka.

There's not enough Hawk love to make the Hawks the reason why people come.   And that's an Atlanta thing.  The city too big to care. 

The Hawks put on a very good in-arena show to compliment the game.  But Atlanta in regard to the Hawks, doesn't strike me as a big time season ticket fan base. 

I think a lot of regular Hawks fans may look at the schedule, and decide to go to a game 1 - 2 weeks prior.  Or if it's a weekend game, that's an automatic decision to attend a Hawks game, because it's the best entertainment option in the city.

Meanwhile, if you're a fan of another team, you're more than likely buying your tickets months in advance, to make sure that you're in the building when your team comes to State Farm Arena.  This is how fans from other teams that live in the ATL area, can put thousands of people in the arena.

Hawks are still #2 in the league in home attendance %. The arena renovation in 2019 that coincided with the arrival of Trae, had a lot to do with what we see today.

image.png.713fd0ef8719d09c75f8975a926c744b.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you're a Curry fan who lives in Atlanta, you get one game per year to see him play.  Same thing with Kobe/Jordan/Bron, etc back in the day.  Those fans only want to go to that game and are willing to pay higher prices to do so, thus outbidding local Hawks fans who have a choice of 41 other games to attend. 

Stars attracting fans is not unique to Atlanta.  Jordan/Kobe/Steph basically never play true road games, except in really high stakes games in playoffs where the local fans are willing to pay more.  Any superstar playing in MSG always attracts tons of fans, this is not unique to Atlanta. 

The south in general just doesn't support the NBA or NFL like northern/western cities for whatever reason.  Maybe we just don't have the long rooted history that some of those fanbases do.  We support college football very well as it has a long history.