A quick word on other games.....

Diesel

45 minutes ago, Diesel said:

I would say... what's getting JoeLLLL-o going to cost us.

That's the main thing.   What is the cost.   

Remember Trae took us to the ECFs without a player of Joel's ability on the team.  If we're not completely depleted, we may be able to not need Joel as much.  Plus we have a better coach (IMO). 

If you're PHI, why would you even entertain an enbiid trade and not get Trae back?

• Premium Member
17 minutes ago, AHF said:

Doc has gotten a lot of mileage off of that one year with KG, PP, and Ray Allen.  I kind of think the days of any contender handing him the keys are over.

TO me, Doc started out very strong with that Orlando team.  He then went to Boston and won a chip.  I don't underrate any coach that wins a chip. Look at Mike Brown.  But at the same time, you have to adjust your style to the times. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Diesel said:

TO me, Doc started out very strong with that Orlando team.  He then went to Boston and won a chip.  I don't underrate any coach that wins a chip. Look at Mike Brown.  But at the same time, you have to adjust your style to the times. 

He did do good work in Orlando.  Fully agree with that.  

But he hasn't done particularly good work since he left Boston and that was 10 years ago.  He has ranged between "fine" and "ugh" since then.

6 hours ago, Final_quest said:

One of my observations from watching a lot of games in the playoffs is something close to this.  I see why Lebron made it to the finals so many times.  Tatum is getting headlines for dropping 51 in Game 7, but that dude has completely disappeared in a lot of other games.  You would think KD, Booker, and CP3 would be able to prove something as a trio, but nope.  

I've realized come playoff time that being consistent holds so much more value than being able to go off in games.  Defensive and offensive side.  Nobody on the Lakers has gone off a ton, they've just been solid throughout.  Jokic and Jimmy are just different and have dominated all playoffs and I feel like Tatum just happened to show up at just the right times to get to where they are while Philly disappeared again.

Every other team that's on the outside looking in have had some pretty polarizing performances to say the least.

• Like 2

Watching Joker play and dominate and seeing him be a 2nd round pick, made me start thinking about the 2014 draft.  I know we picked Adrian Payne out of MSU, but I don't remember the circumstances leading up to it.  Was he a highly thought of prospect or was he a Hawks reach that was also a total bust? 

Also, was Jokic even on the radar or was he a complete unknown?  Hard to imagine every team passing on an eventual 2 time MVP but it happens, I guess.  Imagine if the Hawks had drafted Jokic instead of Payne.  Or if Joker had fallen 2 spots in the 2nd to the Hawks (who drafted Edy Tavares, a different international Center).  

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, REHawksFan said:

Watching Joker play and dominate and seeing him be a 2nd round pick, made me start thinking about the 2014 draft.  I know we picked Adrian Payne out of MSU, but I don't remember the circumstances leading up to it.  Was he a highly thought of prospect or was he a Hawks reach that was also a total bust? 

Also, was Jokic even on the radar or was he a complete unknown?  Hard to imagine every team passing on an eventual 2 time MVP but it happens, I guess.  Imagine if the Hawks had drafted Jokic instead of Payne.  Or if Joker had fallen 2 spots in the 2nd to the Hawks (who drafted Edy Tavares, a different international Center).  

Yeah, we passed on Jokic,   we also passed on Booker.   A lot of people did. 

Here's one of the things said about Jokic predraft:

An average athlete lacking great speed and leaping ability … Foot speed is a big liability. He may struggle to stay in front of NBA athletes at the center position … Needs to improve as a post player, gain strength and develop a repertoire of back to the basket moves … Defense is a real weakness at this point due to lack of lateral speed and lack of strength.

This is everything in the "modern game". 

• Thanks 1

On 5/14/2023 at 4:29 PM, Gray Mule said:

GO HEAT!

Gramps, I take absolutely no pleasure in delivering this news 🗞️ but the Celts are gonna clean the Heat’s respective clocks 🕰️ tonight. We are talking a good old fashion garbage 🗑️ time by 20 or more.

Spudstradamus :huh:

IMG_7739.jpeg

IMG_7738.jpeg

IMG_7737.jpeg

2 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Gramps, I take absolutely no pleasure in delivering this news 🗞️ but the Celts are gonna clean the Heat’s respective clocks 🕰️ tonight. We are talking a good old fashion garbage 🗑️ time by 20 or more.

Spudstradamus :huh:

IMG_7739.jpeg

IMG_7738.jpeg

IMG_7737.jpeg

Told ya! :huh:

• Haha 4

On 5/16/2023 at 6:30 PM, JayBirdHawk said:

Oh Becky, Becky, Becky!!!

It just means that she's ready for the NBA.  If she's that much of a hardliner already, and only cares about basketball, she's ready for the NBA.

Definitely not a good look for Becky in the WNBA. But judging by that interview, she honestly does not GAF.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Most impressive part of the Miami win to me was that Miami didn't enjoy a crazy FT advantage.  In fact, Miami shot 19 FTs compared to 29 FTA for Boston which means Boston lost despite a huge edge from the line.

• Like 3

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, AHF said:

Most impressive part of the Miami win to me was that Miami didn't enjoy a crazy FT advantage.  In fact, Miami shot 19 FTs compared to 29 FTA for Boston which means Boston lost despite a huge edge from the line.

I didn't watch.  I was wondering.  What happened in that 3rd quarter.  Miami doesn't usually explode for 50 points. 

• Moderators
1 minute ago, macdaddy said:

I didn't watch.  I was wondering.  What happened in that 3rd quarter.  Miami doesn't usually explode for 50 points. 

Yeah, I score checked and then looked at the box score after the game.  The FT edge stood out to me because I was expecting Miami to enjoy a healthy advantage there in their wins.  I don't know that 2 hours of hating both teams would be the best use of my time, :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

I don’t like the heat but I like the dudes mind frame against the world 🌎 aka fck a Bugatti. THIS IS AN ALPHA! 

So far they are doing what so many have failed at.  coasting the season and turning it on in the playoffs. 

• Like 2