• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

A quick word on other games.....

Diesel

11 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

I just want basketball players to play.. 

Seems that all that NBA team has on their roster are basketball players so what is your point?  Are you saying only all star players should compete for the championship?  instead of the top teams in the east and west, have the allstar team from the east meet the allstar team west play for the championship?

What is your point?  Please explain because I'm lost.

:ahf:

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

I don't see how the play-in results in mediocre teams winning titles? 

I don't think it's the only factor, but it does change some things in a way that contributes.  Now with the play-in if a team is a 10-12 seed leading into the trade deadline they may keep their team in tact or even add a player for a shot at the #7 seed via the tournament.  Teams in the 5-8 spot have a goal that shifts from just making the playoffs to also avoiding the play-in tournament.  It creates multiple tiers that teams build towards.  

The dilution comes from more teams maintaining or building a roster to achieve level 1, 2, or 3.  What that does to the upper tier teams is they have less opportunity from lower teams selling veteran players for picks and young prospects.

My other theory for dilution is not related to the play-in.  I think that Golden State and a couple other teams introduced a paradigm shift in the league with 35+ 3PA per game.  When the entire league shifts to a live by the 3 and die by the 3 approach, the result is a lot more parity.  Less of an opportunity for only stars to dominate because you have an entire cast of players now launching 3's as the offensive philosophy.  

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

The dilution comes from more teams maintaining or building a roster to achieve level 1, 2, or 3.  What that does to the upper tier teams is they have less opportunity from lower teams selling veteran players for picks and young prospects.

Good, lower teams need to stop being farm teams for the upper tier teams.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, bleachkit said:

Injuries were a big factor for them previously, namely to Murray. Having him healthy was extremely impactful. 

But if we're consistent, injuries are just an excuse... no?

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, sturt said:

But if we're consistent, injuries are just an excuse... no?

they sure were for you all season regarding the Hawks.  Remember the Neverending Pledge?

2 hours ago, Gray Mule said:

Seems that all that NBA team has on their roster are basketball players so what is your point?  Are you saying only all star players should compete for the championship?  instead of the top teams in the east and west, have the allstar team from the east meet the allstar team west play for the championship?

What is your point?  Please explain because I'm lost.

:ahf:

Oh no sorry gramps I meant in the whole scheme of Adam Silver trying to involve everyone in the game. I just feel like he’s trying to cater to new blood that haven’t been into basketball 🏀 which again is great for society as a whole but sucks for the diehard dudes like us.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Good, lower teams need to stop being farm teams for the upper tier teams.

It's interesting to watch.  Doesn't bother me to see less dominant teams.  I especially like it when attempts to create a super team implodes on people like Phoenix, Brooklyn, and the Clippers.  

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, shakes said:

they sure were for you all season regarding the Hawks.  Remember the Neverending Pledge?

Yeah. Um.

I think you may wanna go back and review, having missed the nod to sarcasm.

But let's make it simple.

Yes. Injuries matter, and more so as your team roster composition has a greater delta b/t the caliber of the injured player(s) and the calbier of the replacement(s) in the rotation.

To the point of your complaint (both the "pledge" part which you... hehe... objected to right from the very start... and... the "never ending" part which you reveled in later on)... yes, if you see your team's W/L has been disappointing, but you also see that key players have been missing... there's reason to choose to remember the "patience is a virtue" cliche'.

And.

Yes. It's not just made up. It's a real thing. Rosters that have more mature players also tend to have greater success, lending legitimate reason for sticking with your guys for awhile, particularly when your rotation's average age skews younger, and even when the most recent results may not be that exciting.

To my overarching point... do we really have to look to see if there were Nugs fans screaming about the need for significant roster moves last off-season? It's sports fan nature. So, the unpleasant lesson is that it's not nearly as exciting to merely obtain KCP in your off-season... but sobriety ultimately proves smarter than seeking endless dopamine rushes (ie, via big moves).

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, sturt said:

Yeah. Um.

I think you may wanna go back and review, having missed the nod to sarcasm.

But let's make it simple.

Yes. Injuries matter, and more so as your team roster composition has a greater delta b/t the caliber of the injured player(s) and the calbier of the replacement(s) in the rotation.

To the point of your complaint (both the "pledge" part which you... hehe... objected to right from the very start... and... the "never ending" part which you reveled in later on)... yes, if you see your team's W/L has been disappointing, but you also see that key players have been missing... there's reason to choose to remember the "patience is a virtue" cliche'.

And.

Yes. It's not just made up. It's a real thing. Rosters that have more mature players also tend to have greater success, lending legitimate reason for sticking with your guys for awhile, particularly when your rotation's average age skews younger, and even when the most recent results may not be that exciting.

To my overarching point... do we really have to look to see if there were Nugs fans screaming about the need for significant roster moves last season? It's sports fan nature. So, the unpleasant lesson is that it's not nearly as exciting to merely obtain KCP in your off-season... but sobriety ultimately proves smarter than seeking endless dopamine rushes (ie, via big moves).

The biggest difference I see with the Nuggets is they were consistently one of the top regular season teams in the West and the overall NBA:

2019-20 - #3 in the West, #6 in the NBA

2020-21 - #3 in the West, #5 in the NBA

2021-22 -  #6 in the West, #12 in the NBA

2022-23 - #1 in the West, #4 in the NBA

Contrast that to the Hawks:

2019-20 - #14 in the East, #27 in the NBA

2020-21 - #4 in the East, #11 in the NBA

2021-22 -  #9 in the East, #17 in the NBA

2022-23 - #8 in the East, #17 in the NBA

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, AHF said:

The biggest difference I see with the Nuggets is they were consistently one of the top regular season teams in the West and the overall NBA:

2019-20 - #3 in the West, #6 in the NBA

2020-21 - #3 in the West, #5 in the NBA

2021-22 -  #6 in the West, #12 in the NBA

2022-23 - #1 in the West, #4 in the NBA

Contrast that to the Hawks:

2019-20 - #14 in the East, #27 in the NBA

2020-21 - #4 in the East, #11 in the NBA

2021-22 -  #9 in the East, #17 in the NBA

2022-23 - #8 in the East, #17 in the NBA

Right. But. You get it, do you not... I know you do... age(!)... ie, it's not a fair comparison to make when the Hawks weren't even supposed to be competitive until last season due to their youth. They arrived ahead of schedule with the run made two years ago. And last season was sideswiped by a six week period of "injuries" so severe that G-League players weren't merely on the roster, but started games... you may have read somewhere about that. 😉 .

Age. It matters.

Injuries, or more precisely, the delta between caliber of regular rotation players and caliber of their replacements. It matters, too.

It all matters.

The Nugs' path should be reassuring to a team like ours. And it is. For some of us, anyway.

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, sturt said:

Right. But. You get it, do you not... I know you do... age(!)... ie, it's not a fair comparison to make when the Hawks weren't even supposed to be competitive until last season due to their youth. They arrived ahead of schedule with the run made two years ago. And last season was sideswiped by a six week period of "injuries" so severe that G-League players weren't merely on the roster, but started games... you may have read somewhere about that. 😉 .

Age. It matters.

Injuries, or more precisely, the delta between caliber of regular rotation players and caliber of their replacements. It matters, too.

It all matters.

The Nugs' path should be reassuring to a team like ours. And it is. For some of us, anyway.

I fully agree age matters.  In terms of measuring age, the right method for that should be minutes weighted age of the team.  It should not be the simple average age of the roster.  Is that how you look at it?

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, kg01 said:

What a finish. 

Box TF out, MIA!  DID THE PLAY-IN TEACH YOU NOTHING! 

How can this loss NOT affect Miami mentally? They had a 3-0 lead in this series and are now going to Boston for a Game 7.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, hawkman said:

How can this loss NOT affect Miami mentally? They had a 3-0 lead in this series and are now going to Boston for a Game 7.

Cinnamon challenge MIA edition.

I mean, BOS literally won the game at the end using out strategy from the play-in.  Smh 

• Premium Member

I saw last night's game a lot differently.

The refs handed that game to Boston.

There were about 5 ball calls in the last 7 minutes. 

2 that you saw on replay that were very bad.  2 that you are watching and saying, where is the foul.  And one that should have been called and the ref didn't do anything. 

The league wanted a game 7. 

Miami should learn to Box out.   

• Thanks 1