• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

John Collins Traded - Fare thee well!

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, thecampster said:

One point of speculation nobody has mentioned (that I saw) was does this open up time for OO at the 4 and Bruno as the backup 5?

With a center like KAT or Ayton, I would love that. 

• Premium Member

Atlanta Hawks acquire Rudy Gay and a second-round pick

I will admit I’m not the biggest believer in Collins as a difference-maker. He’s crazy athletic and has a solid skill set, but I’ve never felt like he was going to be the starting power forward for a truly great team. And it’s seemed like the Hawks have felt similarly about Collins for years because he’s always rumored to be on the trade block. Even leading up to his restricted free agency in 2021, the Hawks were trying to move him for something valuable and avoid signing him for big money.

The annual tradition of looking into trading him didn’t come to fruition, and the Hawks ended up signing him in the summer of 2021 for five years and $125 million. After two years in that contract, the best they could do for him was a 36-year old Rudy Gay and a second-round pick? That can’t possibly be proper value, whether or not you believe in Collins.

This is a terrible job of maximizing value for a player who should still be an asset. This feels like the first move of many for Atlanta because of how little return there is. The Hawks will create a trade exception with the gap in Collins’ salary ($25.3 million) and Gay’s salary number ($6.4 million). That can help them make moves at some point. It also helps ease the pain of incoming luxury-tax penalties, as the Hawks were a little over $1 million under the luxury tax last season.

This still feels like even a weak salary dump. We’ll see how much of this roster gets moved in the coming weeks. Clint Capela, De’Andre Hunter and many more not named Trae Young could all be moved. Even for a salary dump, the Collins deal is a complete miss on its own. We have to see what’s next.

Grade: F+

• Like 2

Now that I think about it more, Kyle Kuzma could actually be a sneaky good acquisition with Quin as the head coach.  Kyle can shoot the basketball, and Quin's system will put him in more advantageous positions to shoot the ball than what he got with Washington this past season.  Defensively, he's a guy that knows where he is supposed to be.  He's never going to be a great one on one guy, but he is kind of like Kyle Korver was on those great Hawks defensive teams under Bud.  He knows where to be.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

For those still wondering about this move, refer back to this post.  See "bigs giving marching order to be able to guard 3 positions", "Players targeted need to be able to guard 3 positions, create turnovers, change of possession."

Riddle me this....does that sound like JC since the finger injury to you?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Wow.  The biggest salary dump I've ever seen.  Nothing but junk for a good, solid player and leader.  I don't want to hear any more from ownership about us being willing to be in the luxury tax.  This may be the worst ownership  ever.

Edited by Watchman
  • Like 3
  • Sad 2

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

People need to stop panicking.  Just let this all play out.

I thought we'd do something after the Huerter trade with the exception we got. We did eventually use it to get Bey....but we still stayed under the tax.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

If JCs finger wasn't cooked I'd be more upset but right now I feel mostly neutral from a roster construction standpoint, and I feel a little sad that JC will be gone (and sad that a dumb finger injury is messing up his career).

I believe I still have a running bet that OO will make one three a game this upcoming season, and this might open the door for him to play some limited minutes at PF.  It also lets us develop JJ and I am optimistic what Quin can do with him.  The optimist in me says these are the kinds of trades that allow us to contend 2-3 years from now through player development and prudent cap management.  The pessimist in me says this is just another salary dump that ensures we continue on our hamster wheel of play-in games.

• Like 1