• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 NBA Regular Season: Notes/Tidbits/Updates etc.

JayBirdHawk

• Moderators
7 hours ago, theheroatl said:

Good for him. Agents take too much

Especially where a guy is getting max salary.  No way to really improve on that I especially if early termination rights aren’t a priority for you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AHF said:

Especially where a guy is getting max salary.  No way to really improve on that I especially if early termination rights aren’t a priority for you.

Ray Young is probably gonna use AI.  

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Final_quest said:

Ray Young is probably gonna use AI.  

For most stars, an AI or  smart Middle Schooler would do just as good a job.  If there was a free market for prime LeBron James he would earn double or triple his salary.  When his salary is capped, there is almost nothing the agent needs to do for him as far as contract negotiations.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, AHF said:

For most stars, an AI or  smart Middle Schooler would do just as good a job.  If there was a free market for prime LeBron James he would earn double or triple his salary.  When his salary is capped, there is almost nothing the agent needs to do for him as far as contract negotiations.

Less to negotiate on a contract with the league, but doesn’t the agent also source endorsements?  
I met with the star from the MTV teen mom reality series.  She had someone rep her social media where she got paid $10-40k for product posts.  

• Moderators
34 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

Less to negotiate on a contract with the league, but doesn’t the agent also source endorsements?  
I met with the star from the MTV teen mom reality series.  She had someone rep her social media where she got paid $10-40k for product posts.  

There are all kinds of reasons to have an agent beyond contract negotiations.  I'm just saying that a toddler can handle the contract negotiations for a player like Trae (and I'm not comparing his father to a toddler).  

The player pays a % of the contract to the agent so Trae could choose to have his father handle the contract negotiations and have an agent handle endorsements, etc.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
32 minutes ago, AHF said:

There are all kinds of reasons to have an agent beyond contract negotiations.  I'm just saying that a toddler can handle the contract negotiations for a player like Trae (and I'm not comparing his father to a toddler).  

The player pays a % of the contract to the agent so Trae could choose to have his father handle the contract negotiations and have an agent handle endorsements, etc.

I think this is true for the elite stars in the league (Lebron, Steph, Jokic, etc.) that can get whatever they want, but my guess is the next contract negotiation with Trae could be a little sticky.  Giving him a super max 35% of the cap is pretty crippling to roster building for a player that has so many specific roster needs around him (shooting, length, defensive anchor, defensive wings...).  I wouldn't be surprised if he gets less than a max length max contract deal (with a player option in year 5).  If he does get that, I'll know the Hawks aren't serious about winning and just want to sell tickets through the centennial yards project someone here has brought up a few times.

• Moderators
Just now, JeffS17 said:

I think this is true for the elite stars in the league (Lebron, Steph, Jokic, etc.) that can get whatever they want, but my guess is the next contract negotiation with Trae could be a little sticky.  Giving him a super max 35% of the cap is pretty crippling to roster building for a player that has so many specific roster needs around him (shooting, length, defensive anchor, defensive wings...).  I wouldn't be surprised if he gets less than a max length max contract deal (with a player option in year 5).  If he does get that, I'll know the Hawks aren't serious about winning and just want to sell tickets through the centennial yards project someone here has brought up a few times.

That might be the case in two years.  I'm in wait and see mode on whether things change for him from what I see as a max contract status quo.  They certainly could.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, AHF said:

That might be the case in two years.

Those conversations will start this summer, though.  So it makes sense why he would be starting to change his representation today.  

• Moderators
1 hour ago, JeffS17 said:

Those conversations will start this summer, though.  So it makes sense why he would be starting to change his representation today.  

Moving away from an agent to his father would send the signal to me that he isn't all that worried about it right now.  If I'm trying to read tea leaves accepting that, a move to his father could mean he isn't focused on renegotiations right now or that he is very comfortable that he has the leverage to get what he wants.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, kg01 said:

Heh, NBARadio pure comedy gold this morning with the guy Scalabrine tryna explain the Selltics loss.  Ol' boy turned into Gregory Hines tapdancin' around calling Tatum sawft. 😆 

DANG IT!!! Ok I’m gettin that radio 📻 back for the offseason trash 🗑️ talk. And by that I mean the BS of us trading a star ⭐️ for peanuts 🥜. I’m paying to get pissed 😤 off basically.

ps Scal is a 🤡 by a lot of definitions. You can say he came through in his life and made the NBA and had a cool nickname like white mamba and whatnot but dude is a straight up dork, I’m not clowning like a bully might but he’s a freakin tool. 😆 

5 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

DANG IT!!! Ok I’m gettin that radio 📻 back for the offseason trash 🗑️ talk. And by that I mean the BS of us trading a star ⭐️ for peanuts 🥜. I’m paying to get pissed 😤 off basically.

ps Scal is a 🤡 by a lot of definitions. You can say he came through in his life and made the NBA and had a cool nickname like white mamba and whatnot but dude is a straight up dork, I’m not clowning like a bully might but he’s a freakin tool. 😆 

Speaking of clowns, anybody hearing all these Nix fans in Philadelphia tonite?

I tthought Philly fans were all sUpER fAnS.  They got Nix fans in the building in the playoffs?  Clown fanbase. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Jdawgflow said:

image.gif

I mean, I hope the dude makes a full recovery and all that.  I'm sympathetic and empathetic and everything.   But geez man, every year it's something when they lose. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/24/2024 at 3:33 PM, AHF said:

Moving away from an agent to his father would send the signal to me that he isn't all that worried about it right now.  If I'm trying to read tea leaves accepting that, a move to his father could mean he isn't focused on renegotiations right now or that he is very comfortable that he has the leverage to get what he wants.

This is my read on it. Also, there is a more than slight chance that Trae is unhappy with how his name is used by the traditional Rich Paul rumor mill spin cycle.

Pretty sure I would be pissed if my name kept getting tossed around during the season when I’m trying to play basketball.

Edited by theheroatl
  • Like 1

Who wore it best, Kl0y Th0mps0n or D'Angel0 R0ssell?

😆

Yeah, I agree with the eggsperts now.  I can't understand why the Hawks wouldn't trade either Trae or Murray for a package centered around D'L0 or Reaves. 

• Haha 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, kg01 said:

Who wore it best, Kl0y Th0mps0n or D'Angel0 R0ssell?

😆

Yeah, I agree with the eggsperts now.  I can't understand why the Hawks wouldn't trade either Trae or Murray for a package centered around D'L0 or Reaves. 

Latest from LAL fans: Rui, Reaves and Gabe for Trae :laugh1:

• Haha 3