• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks looking to trade

Vol4ever

9 hours ago, Sothron said:

My thoughts, not from any sources, just me here:

If we have another .500 type season with a fight to get in the play in...we need to blow this team up in the offseason. Either fully trade in for a third star player or blow it for a rebuild. 

This complete  mediocre win/loss sneak in with a play in for yet another season is a nadir of a franchise. We can't go up or down like this. We win too much to get into the lottery and pray for a stud there. We win too little to get into the playoffs and at least have a shot of a second round birth.

Really nothing we can do till the Spurs picks convert. That said, when it does, we need to rebuild again and this time be discipline like OKC. We should tank for at least 4-5 years. Leaving the tank too soon is a killer 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Diesel said:

It was rough watching them pick and roll off him and him dying on the pic every time.  Does anybody teach punish the picker anymore.  He was being picked by Dimwiddie aka RZA from Wu Tang.   RZA is freakin 2 guard.   skin and bones.  I saw this big 6'9" 225 pound man crumble like Embiid when RZA touched him. 

When that wasn't happening, Mikal was running right past him.  I thought his thing was supposed to be defense?

Quin honestly needs to send #12 to the bench when JJ gets back.  Start Bogi.

Ar the very least, let Bogi close games. Bogi has a history of making impact plays.

Quin can't keep doing the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result.

Move 12 to the bench and see if that lights a fire under him. Maybe that's the role he can have an impact, especially if all he's going to do is score and play OK on-ball defense.

If that doesn't motivate him, it's time to move on.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sothron said:

If we have another .500 type season with a fight to get in the play in...we need to blow this team up in the offseason. Either fully trade in for a third star player or blow it for a rebuild. 

This complete  mediocre win/loss sneak in with a play in for yet another season is a nadir of a franchise. We can't go up or down like this. We win too much to get into the lottery and pray for a stud there. We win too little to get into the playoffs and at least have a shot of a second round birth.

Yeah, but how in the world could we do that?

I’m guessing your first two stars are Trae and JJ. Murray is the only other player that may get us something decent back, but we won’t be able to trade one thing for something better without draft assets which we don’t have. 

Teams aren’t going to trade us a dime for our two nickels. 

The only trade moves I can see are to trade players for picks and either hope the picks work out or we combine to move up. But then you’re talking about waiting a few years for those players to develop. 

I don’t see any scenario that nets us an immediate impactful positive.

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, Sothron said:

I don't disagree that another play-in berth is not what we want and would be disappointing. But:

Who is the third star you would target?

What does a blow-up look like? Who gets traded and for what.  Also consider the 2025 and 2027 unprotected 1st round picks and 2026 1st round pick swap we owe to SAS as part of the equation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

In my opinion we aren't trading Trae.  It would be crazy to give up now and make us a really bad team for a while.  Everyone else is available though.  There are players out there that could breath life into this team.  We've made questionable moves but this is where Landry proves himself.  We have players with value.  Can he turn him into better fits for this team? 

• Like 3

• Premium Member

The rumors are starting to roll in regarding the Utah Jazz possibly cashing in their chips early this season. Indeed, with the Jazz playing themselves out of the playoffs, a handful of players could be finishing the year in a different uniform. Jordan Clarkson, Collin Sexton, Kelly Olynyk, Talen Horton-Tucker, and Simone Fontecchio are heading that list.

Jazz fans can expect the rumors to keep coming in if Utah’s season continues to spiral in the wrong direction. Where it stands today, it’s assumed that Lauri Markkanen, Walker Kessler, and Keyonte George will remain in Utah, but after that, all bets are off.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Really nothing we can do till the Spurs picks convert. That said, when it does, we need to rebuild again and this time be discipline like OKC. We should tank for at least 4-5 years. Leaving the tank too soon is a killer 

This is something that I said back when it happened.  At a minimum we should have collected more assets to flip.

51 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Quin honestly needs to send #12 to the bench when JJ gets back.  Start Bogi.

Ar the very least, let Bogi close games. Bogi has a history of making impact plays.

Quin can't keep doing the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result.

Move 12 to the bench and see if that lights a fire under him. Maybe that's the role he can have an impact, especially if all he's going to do is score and play OK on-ball defense.

If that doesn't motivate him, it's time to move on.

I've had the same thought honestly.  Not so much to see if it lights a fire, but because he would have more impact by default.  In the starting lineup, he's just duplication of at least 2 players that are producing better than pretty much every one of his metrics.  Coming off the bench, He would be a primary option.  There would be more space for him to operate in the paint for rebounding opportunities as well.  If he were so inclined...

27 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

In my opinion we aren't trading Trae.  It would be crazy to give up now and make us a really bad team for a while.  Everyone else is available though.  There are players out there that could breath life into this team.  We've made questionable moves but this is where Landry proves himself.  We have players with value.  Can he turn him into better fits for this team? 

Imagine the backlash of Trae pairing up with a contender while we're winning 20 games a season and stuck in the cellar.  Yikes.  Fan interest in the Hawks and overall franchise relevancy had been on life support for decades before Trae.  Atlanta can ill afford another hash mark on the Georgia sports curse...

No way we're there now, but if we haven't figured it out by the time we get our own picks back though...it'll be about that time.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I don't disagree that another play-in berth is not what we want and would be disappointing. But:

Who is the third star you would target?

What does a blow-up look like? Who gets traded and for what.  Also consider the 2025 and 2027 unprotected 1st round picks and 2026 1st round pick swap we owe to SAS as part of the equation.

Trust me, I am aware of those picks. If we went the rebuild route, which I again will say is fan talk and not going to actually happen, then we would have to acquire other teams firsts. Ironically trading with SAS to get those picks back from them wouldn't be off the table. SAS and the Hawks have a long history of good relationship between the franchises.

I am that fan with the fan talk about a full rebuild. I own that. Even with JJ coming back healthy does that really move the needle this year? I do not believe it does.

When they traded Collins for literally nothing it was a huge red flag about where this team's true goals are at. It isn't about winning a title. It is about saving the seventh richest multi billionaire owner in the NBA money by not even getting close to the luxury tax. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

5 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Trust me, I am aware of those picks. If we went the rebuild route, which I again will say is fan talk and not going to actually happen, then we would have to acquire other teams firsts. Ironically trading with SAS to get those picks back from them wouldn't be off the table. SAS and the Hawks have a long history of good relationship between the franchises.

I am that fan with the fan talk about a full rebuild. I own that. Even with JJ coming back healthy does that really move the needle this year? I do not believe it does.

When they traded Collins for literally nothing it was a huge red flag about where this team's true goals are at. It isn't about winning a title. It is about saving the seventh richest multi billionaire owner in the NBA money by not even getting close to the luxury tax. 

As long as this is the 7th most profitable franchise, Tony is good. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Cost cutting at the expense of putting a better overall product on the floor - it's a thing time and again! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

• Premium Member

It's too risky for the team to trade Trae Young as many have pointed out. He's the most marketable player on a sport where individual players put butts in the seats that the Hawks have had since Dominique. Hawks have been a perennial top 2-7 offense since Nate took over in 2020, so it's hard to argue Trae has not been pulling his weight. Is he worth a super-max or keystone to a championship team? Tough to say, but the one time the Hawks were playing some defense they made a run that saw them get closer to an NBA finals than they ever had.

Bottom line the team needs to find a way to fill the roster with impact defenders instead of relying on 1 or 2 guys that are defensive players, but judging by the absolutely incredible mismanagement of assets I don't have much faith they will be able to do that. We traded away two solid starting players (Huert and Collins) and Cam Reddish and all we got was a this lousy magnet. All those three guys could be traded today by their teams for better players assets than the Hawks got back, and I'm not saying they would net an amazing haul, but I'm pretty sure they would net at least 3 rotation players which is a lot more than the Hawks recieved back, and which would be extremely welcome at this point in time. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I'm revisiting this trade but adjusted as follows to include Gallo and Wes when he becomes eligible Dec 15th:

Delon, Moose, Gallo ($18.4 million) for Patty, Wes, Garrison ($10.8 million) plus 2nd(s)

We take on $7.6 million in salary, but we would still remain under the tax by $2 million. 

Hawks get a versatile big in Gallo, a stretch big in Moose and ball handler/POA defender in Delon.

Hawks get overall bigger with 6'-5", 6'-10" and 6'-10" replacing 6'-1", 6'-4" and 6'-5". We add versatility and flexibility to the front court.

we can see @TheNorthCydeRises big jumbo lineup with Gallo at SF

Doing that deal all day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I'm revisiting this trade but adjusted as follows to include Gallo and Wes when he becomes eligible Dec 15th:

Delon, Moose, Gallo ($18.4 million) for Patty, Wes, Garrison ($10.8 million) plus 2nd(s)

We take on $7.6 million in salary, but we would still remain under the tax by $2 million. 

Hawks get a versatile big in Gallo, a stretch big in Moose and ball handler/POA defender in Delon.

Hawks get overall bigger with 6'-5", 6'-10" and 6'-10" replacing 6'-1", 6'-4" and 6'-5". We add versatility and flexibility to the front court.

we can see @TheNorthCydeRises big jumbo lineup with Gallo at SF

Good work. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don’t see us doing anything this year. We’re about as mid as mid can be…maybe slightly worse. What if we do a soft 1 year rebuild?

Trade some of our bigger contracts like Capela, Bogi, and Hunter (maybe Murray too). This does 3 things:

1. Tanks. This is our last year of control for our FRP’s from the Murray trade. Let’s make the best of it. Should also have the Sacramento pick.

2. Recoup draft assets.

3. Create cap space to make a splash in free agency this upcoming summer and get players who better complement Trae.

Some names who will be available: AD, Lebron, OG, Kawhi, PG13, DeRozan, Claxton, Klay…just to name a few.