• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Pacers

lethalweapon3

1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Is the REAL CRIME the Hawks have committed, is that we didn't select the best player available on the board each season and we're failing to draft guys that can be developed into higher level players? 

@Gray Mule consistently points out that we passed on Haliburton in order to take Okongwu.  While Okongwu was a position of need for the Hawks, Haliburton was the guy projected to have the most potential and better talent.  Hali showed that from Day 1, but the Kings felt that Fox was the better choice and that they couldn't play Fox and Hali together after just 1.5 seasons  With that squad having multiple holes, they decided to trade Haliburton while his value was the highest.

I think that Haliburton's camp called us and told them to not pick him at that position because Trae was here and whatnot.  Plus he wanted to be the starting PG.

But I have to agreed that the ECF finals run was fool's gold and we decided to double down on it not trying to improve from it.  From finding another player that can bring the ball up to finding another scorer that can take pressure off from Trae (it is insane that his Usage% is so high), and other stuff.  It goes back to the question that I always ask, "How can construct a team around Trae, that is going to max out his potential, while be able to complete in this modern NBA."

Until this team figure out that puzzle, this team is going to continue spinning their wheels in the mud and it sucks.

58 minutes ago, NekiEcko said:

I think that Haliburton's camp called us and told them to not pick him at that position because Trae was here and whatnot.  Plus he wanted to be the starting PG.

But I have to agreed that the ECF finals run was fool's gold and we decided to double down on it not trying to improve from it.  From finding another player that can bring the ball up to finding another scorer that can take pressure off from Trae (it is insane that his Usage% is so high), and other stuff.  It goes back to the question that I always ask, "How can construct a team around Trae, that is going to max out his potential, while be able to complete in this modern NBA."

Until this team figure out that puzzle, this team is going to continue spinning their wheels in the mud and it sucks.

We did it though.

When we made the huge run, we had backcourt scoring, and a frontcourt big that could get us timely buckets in Gallo;

People think the main element is Trae in our failure, when we've proven what actually worked was the big lineup.  Give us some bigs with talent, and see how the fortunes of the team changes.

If you put a big team around Trae that can defend, along with having guys who can carry some of the offensive burden when Trae may not have it going, you can win at a very high level.

Quin is flat out failing this team by not committing to playing bigger lineups.  He refuses to adjust from his system, because he wants to keep shooting out on the floor at all times.

He's in love with Bey's hustle and shooting potential ( even though he's shot 36% FG and 27% 3FG the past 14 games )

He's in love with Bogi having the greenest light to shoot the ball on the team ( even though he's shooting 33% FG - 26% 3FG in the past 7 games )

He refuses to commit to playing OO more minutes at the 4 ( only 11% of his minutes coming at the 4 )

• Trae - Murray - Bey - OO - Capela . . . . has had some success
  • Trae - Bogi - Bey - OO - Capela . . . has been awful ( compounded by last game )

Quin has yet to figure all of this out.  The key is playing JJ at the 3, and "sacrifice" the shooting potential of Bey and Bogi.  They honestly should be playing only when they're providing offense.

Even when Hun . . ( 12 ) comes back, maybe even play him at the 2 to see if a bigger lineup on the floor is more disruptive defensively, than giving all of the minutes to a shooter like Bogi ( especially when he's off ).

Edited by TheNorthCydeRises

1 hour ago, NekiEcko said:

"How can construct a team around Trae, that is going to max out his potential, while be able to complete in this modern NBA."

Kind of crazy that we're talking about maxing out "Trae's potential", when he's averaging 28 pts - 11 assists.

The question is how can the team's potential be maxed out, with Trae running the show?  And if it can't be maxed out with Trae running the show as currently constructed, what kind of help does he need.

Or if you're talking about replacing Trae, what kind of star player do you replace him with?

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

I’m excited for when I get to take victory laps as a Hawks fan because Hunter is playing at an All-Star level instead of me resorting to taking my victory laps when he is too hurt to even play and the team that has no wing defenders other than him is struggling.  What a disappointment it would be if Trae’s biggest moment this season was when he was in street clothes watching the team stink it up.  Very glad we saw Trae rebound and put together a dominant stretch offensively while playing the best defense of his career.  Rooting for Hunter to return and put together a similar stretch sooner than later.  And then I’ll be happy to join everyone in cheering him on as a big time contributor to the team’s success.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Spud2nique said:

So you were a pimp? 😂 

Coming from the pro 😂 

Not in that car.

My uncle had a white Thunderbid with some nice rims on it . . that is still to this day the smoothest driving car I've ever driven.  That car would glide on the street, and the steering was effortless.

On the weekends during my Senior year, I would ask to drive this car to go to the movies or just to hang out, and he'd give me the keys to roll in it.

THIS was the pimp car.

• V8 engine - I believe
  • white leather interior ( although not in top condition )
  • moonroof
  • got like 8 miles to the gallon ( it seemed ).
  • Would NOT start if it had been running and got hot.  Minimum 30 minute wait once the car stopped, to start it back up.
  • Very good back seat . . . for recreational purposes.

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.e44e910cef01fb7a5f9571622b06b5aa.jpg

Edited by TheNorthCydeRises
  • Like 2

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, shakes said:

Lol I think you’re proving my point.

Why didn’t we make any attempts to improve the team?

Because we just went to the ECF with the team we had.

1+1 = 2

💰  💰 💰 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, NBASupes said:

How is it exactly? Murray trade was their massive attempt 

Then what did we do after?

Made cost cutting moves at the expense of functional NBA talent and did nothing to replace/upgrade it. Both this year and last year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Kind of crazy that we're talking about maxing out "Trae's potential", when he's averaging 28 pts - 11 assists.

The question is how can the team's potential be maxed out, with Trae running the show?  And if it can't be maxed out with Trae running the show as currently constructed, what kind of help does he need.

Or if you're talking about replacing Trae, what kind of star player do you replace him with?

What I mean is that he is average 28/11 but he has a very high Usage Rate and he has to work hard on defense as well.  It can wear him out, so I think we have to maxing out the team potential while reducing his usage rate.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, NekiEcko said:

What I mean is that he is average 28/11 but he has a very high Usage Rate and he has to work hard on defense as well.  It can wear him out, so I think we have to maxing out the team potential while reducing his usage rate.

Now that's fair.

I still don't think that Trae's usage is the issue here.  The people that kill us are high scoring wings and bigger teams that can get offensive rebounds.

The Hawks have mastered the art of scoring, mainly through Trae's ability to find open 3 point shooters, guys like Trae, DJ, and Bogi who can create their own shots, and our bigs who have become good finishers off the pick and roll.

It's the point of attack defense and offensive rebounding, that kill us.