• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

We should bite the bullet and blow it all up

Sothron

ALMOST!!  Yes, the Atlanta Hawks are almost good.  Yes, we almost made the playoffs.  Yes, we almost maxed out our payroll.

Sometimes the best route to the top is from the bottom.  We can't.  I know.  So many missed games due to injuries ruined our latest season.  There always seems to be reasonable excuses for our demise.

Complete teardown and a new beginning does not guarantee our losing 82 games next season.  All players still on their rookie contracts, this season's draft picks + the new players that we get in trade = at least a .500 team, which is what we have now.  We are in need of a lesser salary base.  A maxed out .500 team is not all right.  

Why do we think that, if we trade these players, all we would have left are scrubs?  This seems to say that we could get next to nothing for these players.  If this is true, they need to be gone!!

🥲🥲

• Thanks 1

Naw. Just draft Edey. That solves all our major issues. 

The rest can be fixed by making better fit trades. 

I would love to get Herb Jones for Murray

Add another PDA vet wing defender who can shoot at least wide open 3s. I wish there was another prime Tony Snell. He would be perfect. 

Add a talented rookie backup PG since Murray will be gone. 

We have TPE and haven't spend over the LT since Ressler has own the Hawks. It's time to really try. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, theheroatl said:

@Sothron Why is the answer no?

Because Ressler is building Centennial Yards and just announced a big entertainment district. 

It's a very bad business decision for him based on the real estate objectives he and his company haves. 

From a marketing perspective its much easier for them to sell lease space when they can market "Come See Trae Young' (and scrubs) then just "come see our scrubs and get wasted".

Very good point. 

I wonder how the battery would have worked if the Braves were still in the "Freddie Freeman and no one else" years. 

• Thanks 1

If we get the Kings 1st. Use it to draft Collier or Devin Carter. I prefer Devin Carter. Forrest stays at 3rd string

Move Dre back to the bench as a backup 3. 

I liked Bogi as a starter. If you trade Murray and OO for let's say Ingram and Daniels, you bring Daniels, Dre, and Kobe off the bench. 

Resign Bey for less since he has to redshirt next year. Resign Vit as well for long term. 

JJ splits time with Dre and Gueye at the 4

Edey and Capela split time. Bruno stays at 3rd string fighting with Edey and Capela. 

Resign Lundy to a 2 way deal. 

That's what I would do. I would want Daniels over picks as he gives us another POA defensive wing off the bench. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, Sothron said:

I haven't been active much and I apologize for that. 

I have thought about this post for some time. I can't keep tilting at windmills because one wonderful playoff run we *almost* won a title. That was going on 4 seasons ago. 

This team does not work. The only way to really do this right is a complete tear down. Keep Jalen and guys on rookie contracts not named AJ Griffin. 

Flip Trae to the Spurs for our picks plus some of the ones they control.

Flip DJ for whatever the best deal is.

Flip Hunter for whatever the best deal is.

Flip Capela...OO....Bogi. Just keep moving them out, collect assets for future drafts and start all over with Quin and Hawks U over at College Park.

This franchise is in a horrible place. We have no picks or a swap the next three straight seasons after this upcoming draft. This team is a play in at best with the holes on the roster. We have an owner that is beyond cheap. 

There's no easy fix or even a tough fix for this. It simply does not WORK. We need to go back to a rebuild. We have enough good players to at least get a jump on a rebuild. Going down the path we've been where the FO does basically nothing except make the roster worse so the seventh richest owner in the NBA doesn't pay the LT is simply madness.

Ordinarily, I'd be up for this. But this isn't ordinarily, so I'm forced to ask the unpleasant question... to what end, tho?

Aren't you just submitting yourself to suffering for a few years, only to find your team right back in this same place?

With a new-ish owner who seemed engaged (read "ready to do his part"), and with a GM who'd been credited as a critical piece in San Francisco in building their championship roster, and with a highly regarded head coach groomed under Pops... at the moment the decision was made last time, there was a whole lotta reason for anticipating a big payoff to some extended down time.

What do you have now in comparison to that that should cause a person to say, "Yeah, I think this time we'll see that big payoff."... ?

If one has made his/her decision, "I'm just too immersed in this, and can't think of replacing the Hawks in my daily regimen as a thing," feel good that you're in the majority, I guess. But unsolicited suggestion from one in the little tent over here across the river... I'd encourage you to just enjoy whatever winning you can possibly enjoy for as long as you can enjoy it until this owner sells out. Why suffer any more than you have to... right?

• Moderators

As I said in my offseason thread, a tear down is a possible path but I don't think it is the right one.  We have several very good and/or very promising players.  I want to see us legit retool - not just talk about retooling and then staying with WLOC.  We need to break up Trae / DJM and use the traded player to bolster the roster.  We can't go into next season with only one wing defender and only one PF on the roster.  Shake things up and find a better fitting roster with more size and athleticism.  (Size does not mean 7 footers - we need bigger and more athletic wings and forwards than we carried this season).

Only if we fail a retool would it make sense to me to tear down.  It is easier to go from mediocre to good than from terrible to good.  Landry has a hugely important task ahead of him this offseason.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, NBASupes said:

If we get the Kings 1st. Use it to draft Collier or Devin Carter. I prefer Devin Carter. Forrest stays at 3rd string

Move Dre back to the bench as a backup 3. 

I liked Bogi as a starter. If you trade Murray and OO for let's say Ingram and Daniels, you bring Daniels, Dre, and Kobe off the bench. 

Resign Bey for less since he has to redshirt next year. Resign Vit as well for long term. 

JJ splits time with Dre and Gueye at the 4

Edey and Capela split time. Bruno stays at 3rd string fighting with Edey and Capela. 

Resign Lundy to a 2 way deal. 

That's what I would do. I would want Daniels over picks as he gives us another POA defensive wing off the bench. 

Bogi can't start in a backcourt with trae. The would need daniels to start for POA defense and to preserve bogi health

• Like 4

• Moderators

What are the chances of the Hawks getting to draft a player as good as Trae anytime soon?   It's extremely unlikely.   How many players did we draft in the 30 years before Trae that were even as close to as good.   

You don't just give away that kind of talent for picks.  

Everyone wants to say the ECF was a fluke but we were 41-31 and 5th in the east.  Was the whole season a fluke?  we had the 10th best net rating in the league.  The only playoff series we lost was to the eventual champion and we played them tough.  No one thought we would be the Knicks.  How could every 'expert' be wrong?  Because they have a bias against Trae and the Hawks and that bias has only gotten stronger with our mismanagement.  But that doesn't mean that Trae hasn't actually gotten better since then.  He has. 

We didn't improve the team after that year.  in fact we took actions to make the team worse to save money.  

Invest like we did that year and we will be back in the thick of the playoffs.  

• Like 4

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, kg01 said:

Et tu, @Sothron?  Et tuuuuuuuuuui........... 

😢

Oh dang... love the Mighty Mouse avatar, my friend. Ya know, we need audio avatars around here to go with the visual...