• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Preview: Hawks at Mavericks

lethalweapon3

47 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

I'll take it, just hate seeing the struggles with scoring (Kyle.) And how you find a way to win after surrendering 21 offensive rebounds is well beyond me.  Name me a 7 footer in NBA history who finishes weaker than Splitter.  Really, one.

Anyway, Let's Go.  Great follies by our former Hawks Sweet Lou and Schmoove tonight.  You can't make this stuff up.

Personally I thought Splitter finished well around the goal. Maybe except for 1 possession that I can remember but other than that I was pleased (from what I remember anyways.)

42 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I'll say it one more time. Korver is a problem if he's not hitting 3's at a ridiculous rate. Closing with Korver/Bazemore on the wing likely won the game, but it's looking like Korver is an even bigger issue than playing with a limited offensive player in Sefolosha in the starting lineup. Not hitting 3's and getting roasted defensively.

I can't disagree. As much as I like korver he need to come off the bench and torch second units that won't be able to play defense as good as the starters in this league.

Bazemore would fit in well with the starters at SG and do even better at the 2 than he did at the 3 when he was starting earlier in the season. Also I'm not worried about Thabos limited offense as long as he can continue to hit his 3s at the 38% clip he's already at and continue to cut to the basket.

I've been preaching to start Bazemore and Thabo for many reasons on both ends of the floor. I think Bud should give it a real shot because Korver isn't effective on offense at this point. He even admitted that teams are playing him to tight on the 3pt line this year which may be the most pressure he's ever had in his NBA career due to all the recognition from last season.

However it's great to see korver hit these long 2s at a high rate but it seems tough for him to even get off these as well. But I still say he would be an effective 6th man off the bench.

• Moderators

I'd like to see Baze as a starter too but the fact remains that Korver is very effective as long as he's a threat and he's still that.   Teams guarding him tighter on the 3 point line?   Great!   That's the whole point.   Pull one of their better defenders out to the 3 and it opens up the whole offense.   This was the whole reason Bud wanted Korver here and gave him a 4 year contract.    And that sh## still works.   If he was shooting 30% I could understand but he's shooting 41% (after going 1-6) and still one of the biggest threats in the NBA.   He will work into a groove, guaranteed.  

All this talk about missing Demarre and very little about the fact that Millsap is playing out of his mind.   He is very close to averaging 19/10 on the season with 3.5 assists a game plus 2 steals and 1 block a game.   These aren't all star numbers they are superstar numbers.   Especially when you consider that we don't have an offense that features one guy.   

Splitter and Zaza were both traded for over the summer for basically nothing.   Splitter makes more and has an extra year on his contract.   Zaza is averaging 10/10 on the season.   Granted he's starting next to Dirk.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Based on NBA.com stats, Kyle Korver still has the highest +/- of anyone on the team.  His +4.5 on the season with our next best starter being Sap.  Bazemore is sitting at a -0.8 for the season.

Using basketball reference's BPM, Korver is #5 on the team right behind Bazemore.  

Overall, I like the numbers better for Bazemore but Kyle should still be an important part of this rotation and bear in mind that he is likely to get significantly better later in the season as his recovery from surgery continues over the course of the year.

• Like 3

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, AHF said:

Based on NBA.com stats, Kyle Korver still has the highest +/- of anyone on the team.  His +4.5 on the season with our next best starter being Sap.  Bazemore is sitting at a -0.8 for the season.

Using basketball reference's BPM, Korver is #5 on the team right behind Bazemore.  

Overall, I like the numbers better for Bazemore but Kyle should still be an important part of this rotation and bear in mind that he is likely to get significantly better later in the season as his recovery from surgery continues over the course of the year.

Baze is also wild at times which may be why he isn't a starter yet.    A couple possessions he held the ball and then was forced to try to drive and just lost control.    Of course Korver made some god awful passes last night too.    That's the only thing I have a problem with in his game.   

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I don't see Bazemore as a starter in this league, but he can be a very valuable rotation player off the bench.  While the hope is Kyle becomes more effective as he recovers from the surgeries, I have my doubts due to the way teams are playing him and the natural regression that comes with a guy his age.  I want to see Kyle finish his career in Atlanta, but the Hawks will have to start looking for his successor alot sooner than later.

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, JTB said:

I can't disagree. As much as I like korver he need to come off the bench and torch second units that won't be able to play defense as good as the starters in this league.

Bazemore would fit in well with the starters at SG and do even better at the 2 than he did at the 3 when he was starting earlier in the season. Also I'm not worried about Thabos limited offense as long as he can continue to hit his 3s at the 38% clip he's already at and continue to cut to the basket.

I've been preaching to start Bazemore and Thabo for many reasons on both ends of the floor. I think Bud should give it a real shot because Korver isn't effective on offense at this point. He even admitted that teams are playing him to tight on the 3pt line this year which may be the most pressure he's ever had in his NBA career due to all the recognition from last season.

However it's great to see korver hit these long 2s at a high rate but it seems tough for him to even get off these as well. But I still say he would be an effective 6th man off the bench.

That's logical but it's not...

IF Korver is making the defense shift his way, then somebody has to be open.  Teague, Sap?  You don't bench players that require defensive attention?  Would GS bench the other bash brother?

Moreover..  Does Korver require time to get hot?  Korver becomes an effective 6th man when we can replace him with a good shooter.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JTB said:

This started happening once the big run started last year and I've brought it up many times.

If we had star players in this system the other teams might not be able to do to Korver what they've been able to do to him... But teams are going the other Hawks to beat them one on one in many cases.

It's getting increasingly obvious that Korver's run as a starter is coming to a close.  He struggles to guard quick and athletic players and his game is just too limited.

• Like 1

Back to Back wins – it’s been awhile

Winning on the road, out West while giving up 20 Offensive rebound – I’ll take the win and not complain (though I could), EXCEPT – Teague’s head band, what was that?  Did he have a barbershop mishap?

The bench played a complete game.  Dennis was on fire from mid-range.  Teams are giving him that shot in the PnR so hopefully he keeps taking and making them.  He’s had a rough 2 weeks, hopefully this jump starts his game in the right direction – I love that he took ZER0 3 pointers.  I liked Muscala’s activity on offense and defense.  Baze (timely 3 in the 4th) and Tiago gave us quality minutes.

Wow, just realized TNT (in it's infinite wisdom) put the crap-a** kNick-Kings game on instead of Hawks-Thunder.  SMDH  That's just bad.  I hope it's a 62-58 all night long brick/snooze-fest.

26 minutes ago, Dnice said:

Well I don't know how that would work with the game in Sacramento.. lol I can't be greedy the night after an ESPN game.

Man, the crap-a** Bulls were on ESPN last night and are on the 1st leg of TNT's doubleheader tonite.  Why can't we be greedy?

10 hours ago, Diesel said:

That's logical but it's not...

IF Korver is making the defense shift his way, then somebody has to be open.  Teague, Sap?  You don't bench players that require defensive attention?  Would GS bench the other bash brother?

Moreover..  Does Korver require time to get hot?  Korver becomes an effective 6th man when we can replace him with a good shooter.

What are you talking about korver isn't shifting defenses his way this year. Guys are on korver a hip like white on rice. It's not the same...they are ready for him to come off screens, they are trapping him off screens, etc.

Korver isn't getting good looks at the 3pt shot this year and that's the reason you will see korver force a 3 so often this year...he's getting fed up with it. Probably because he has never brought this much attention to himself ever in his career until now. So instead they are trying to find him on deeper mid range shots to switch it up.

Again last year was last year. Korver is being guarded tightly one on one and they aren't worried about giving him any room instead they are saying "ok beat us with your other 4 guys..."

YES KORVER requires defense attention but it's not the same attention like last year. He's get clasped in crowds when trying to run off screen and only one man is following him from there. He's one on one all game but he can't escape the aggressive tight pressure he faces every night. Plus his defense hasn't been great but I do see the effort.

WHAT IM SAYING.....

put korver on the bench because I don't believe 2nd unit players will play or be as good as the starters in this league chasing korver around. He would make huge impact. Bazemore is hitting his 3s this year and he's able to penetrate and drive the lane pretty well not to mention the guys defense will be tons better vs SGs. I don't need to shine light on Bazemore as a starter with these guys he's already proven it for consistent amount of games.

Soon Bud will wake up and realize that teams are literally playing on korver hip this season and they know Thabo is limited offensively though he is hitting his 3s so really if you keep one guy on korver and tell him to never let him out of your sight....you now have the Hawks playing 3 vs 4 because Thabo isn't going to be taken serious enough to create huge offensive impact. He's hitting his 3s but it's not the same out come a DMC...you can't play this way if we still had DMC.

So it's time to change it up....put another player on the court who can attack the rim and hit the 3 which puts more pressure on the opponent defensively and can be an elite defender like Bud said....it's time to start blazing Bazemore.