• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Preview: Hawks at Celtics GAME 4

lethalweapon3

• Moderators

They all deserve blame for that play.   I just can't see drawing up a play for this team that requires standing around and waiting to try for a final shot.    To me that was the fail.   Go score and put the pressure on the c's to try make a bucket to tie.  

Another game where we fail miserably at play calling and execution....sigh.  How many have we had where we have NOT gotten a shot attempt....sigh...we probably lead the league in 'NO SHOT ATTEMPT IN LAST SECONDS.  

I don't care what the play call is - you CAN'T WASTE 15 seconds and not have a shot ATTEMPT  - tight ass sphincters when it matters most.

YOU JUST CAN'T NOT  HAVE A SHOT ATTEMPT.

6 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Another game where we fail miserably at play calling and execution....sigh.  How many have we had where we have NOT gotten a shot attempt....sigh...we probably lead the league in 'NO SHOT ATTEMPT IN LAST SECONDS.  

I don't care what the play call is - you CAN'T WASTE 15 seconds and not have a shot ATTEMPT  - tight ass sphincters when it matters most.

YOU JUST CAN'T NOT  HAVE A SHOT ATTEMPT.

In an effort to not have my head explode I've decided to take a positive viewpoint on it.  At least they ate up enough clock so that the Selltics didn't have a chance at a buzzer beater (and you just know that was going down).

.... that's all I got.

I personally would have ran a high screen n roll with Horford screening for Teague as opposed to Kyle. Kyle would have been trying to free himself for a shot with screens from others like sap. I dunno, it's over now and we gotta move on and just focus for game 5.

In defense of the Hawks *ahem* defense on that layup by Thomas, the refs' message appears to have been sent on that play.

- Go straight up?  Get called for a foul.  Verticality smerticality.

- Gently brush against a Selltic?  Get called for a foul.

- Not even touch a Selltic?  Hmmmm, get called for a foul if you look at us funny.

- Dare to aggressively defend a play?  Oh sir, that's a flagrant-6.  Let's review to see if we need to upgrade to a flagrant-12

- Get assaulted by a Selltic?  Meh, you shoulda got out of his way.  Play on.

- A Selltic runs into his own guy?  Hawks foul.

Did I miss any?

IOW, they didn't have many options.

21 minutes ago, kg01 said:

In defense of the Hawks *ahem* defense on that layup by Thomas, the refs' message appears to have been sent on that play.

- Go straight up?  Get called for a foul.  Verticality smerticality.

- Gently brush against a Selltic?  Get called for a foul.

- Not even touch a Selltic?  Hmmmm, get called for a foul if you look at us funny.

- Dare to aggressively defend a play?  Oh sir, that's a flagrant-6.  Let's review to see if we need to upgrade to a flagrant-12

- Get assaulted by a Selltic?  Meh, you shoulda got out of his way.  Play on.

- A Selltic runs into his own guy?  Hawks foul.

Did I miss any?

IOW, they didn't have many options.

You don't want a 235 lbs guy to knee on you groin after getting slapped the game before? Tech!

Edited by rd79
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, terrell said:

Not suprised. We're a team full of role players.  I mean we have  Bazemore and Korver as starters..And their both clearly bench guys...You need at least 1 superstar or  a couple of semi-stars  to win rings in the NBA.. We have 0... And Teague should be ashamed for that last possession. wtf?

With that said, Boston has one legit starter and 4 backups right now.

It shouldn't be going to 6 games. Period. 

The Nets were not a good team last year, but going 6 with them was more understandable because they had more talent than the Celtics do right now. Especially with Bradley being out.

• Like 2

• Moderators
3 hours ago, macdaddy said:

They all deserve blame for that play.   I just can't see drawing up a play for this team that requires standing around and waiting to try for a final shot.    To me that was the fail.   Go score and put the pressure on the c's to try make a bucket to tie.  

We shot like 37% this game.  I did want us to eat some clock and take the last shot.  I can just imagine how much I and others would blast the team for running the same forced Korver 3 fairly early in the shot clock that we saw repeatedly and then watch the Selts take control with 8 seconds left.  

The he idea of no retaliation is sound.  The play design of iso Teague was not.

• Like 1

Note to the reader: I didn't read the rest of this thread and I typically don't like it when posters post without reading the rest of the thread, but...

Hawks have been rocking the "true to Atlanta" hashtag all season. Its meaning has eluded me, but I think now I get it: Nothing has ever been truer to the Atlanta professional sports debacle than the last 20 seconds of the 4th quarter.  That ending was, as they say, #truetoatlanta.

I'll get over it but GOOD GRIEF it's hard to not be down on these guys right now.

• Like 4

• Moderators
31 minutes ago, AHF said:

We shot like 37% this game.  I did want us to eat some clock and take the last shot.  I can just imagine how much I and others would blast the team for running the same forced Korver 3 fairly early in the shot clock that we saw repeatedly and then watch the Selts take control with 8 seconds left.  

The he idea of no retaliation is sound.  The play design of iso Teague was not.

In the last 3 minutes the c's only managed 5 shots and only made 2.    I still like our chances better by running our offense and letting them try to get a bucket with time running out.   I mean was it a surprise to anyone that we didn't even come close in OT?  

I know it's hindsight but honestly as soon as the ball inbounded and everyone just stood there I knew we were screwed.  Not because i'm any kind of expert but because i'd seen this act before.

• Moderators

I'm all in favor of movement, screens, etc. on the last play.  Just not a quick shot with time left on the clock unless it is a sure score (back door cut layup, etc.). We were colder than the Cs down the stretch.

• Like 3

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, AHF said:

I'm all in favor of movement, screens, etc. on the last play.  Just not a quick shot with time left on the clock unless it is a sure score (back door cut layup, etc.). We were colder than the Cs down the stretch.

I agree.  That's all i'm saying.  Run the offense and do it at 10 seconds not 4.   Leaving them 5 seconds to score would make it very difficult plus i think we had a foul to give.   Both teams were cold.  I think we were 3-7 in the last 3 and they were 2-5.   Not much difference but they really didn't do much at the end other than Thomas blowing by thabo for an easy layup.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AHF said:

If Teague missed an open layup you would find some way to blame someone else.  Give me a break trying to make out that he didn't fubar the execution of that play.  Bud gets blame for bad play call.  Teague gets blame for bad execution.  It isn't something beyond Teague's skill to hold the ball and then drive on an inferior defender.  I don't like the play call but everyone owns their role and Teague's is execution.  He would be blameless if he drove into two defenders and got all his passing lanes cut off.  He couldn't even make it past the 3pt line.

I can't  like this enough.  Understanding time and circumstances regardless  of the play call is what a PG should  understand. The inability to  make an adjustment on the fly is lacking.

All you have to do is compare what Thomas did in 5 seconds and what Teague did in 15.  That sums up the 30 something years of Atlanta sports teams I have watched at the end of games.  I always have hope that the law of averages will finally fall on us in clutchness but it just never happens. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, supermariowest said:

Note to the reader: I didn't read the rest of this thread and I typically don't like it when posters post without reading the rest of the thread, but...

Hawks have been rocking the "true to Atlanta" hashtag all season. Its meaning has eluded me, but I think now I get it: Nothing has ever been truer to the Atlanta professional sports debacle than the last 20 seconds of the 4th quarter.  That ending was, as they say, #truetoatlanta.

I'll get over it but GOOD GRIEF it's hard to not be down on these guys right now.

That's messed up lol.

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, Trout7 said:

All you have to do is compare what Thomas did in 5 seconds and what Teague did in 15.  That sums up the 30 something years of Atlanta sports teams I have watched at the end of games.  I always have hope that the law of averages will finally fall on us in clutchness but it just never happens. 

They ran what we were suppose to have run...A high screen and role except they recognized that Bud left Korver in the game so they took advantage of it by using Korver's man as the screener which allow Thomas a 1 on 1 with Korver.  Of course Thomas easily blew past Korver for an easy lay up.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

They ran what we were suppose to have run...A high screen and role except they recognized that Bud left Korver in the game so they took advantage of it by using Korver's man as the screener which allow Thomas a 1 on 1 with Korver.  Of course Thomas easily blew past Korver for an easy lay up.

Leaving Korver on the floor in that situation was just as big of, if not bigger, fail than the last play of regulation.