• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Cavaliers GAME 2

lethalweapon3

3 minutes ago, hawkman said:

NOBODY is untouchable. Ownership needs to do whatever it takes to bring an NBA Championship to Atlanta. If that means some fan favorites have to go, so be it. But what can't happen is the WLOC approach we've seen for almost 10 years.

When's the last time a panicking owner was a good thing?  Meddling owners don't build championships.  Did Micky Arison have to meddle when the Heat missed the playoffs last year?  Nope.  Did Joe Lacob have to step in to make the Warriors into a winner?  Nope.  Where was Peter Holt when the Spurs spectacularly melted vs. the Heat a few years ago?  He was sitting back and letting the guys in charge do their jobs.

Meanwhile where was Jim Dolan when the Knicks failed?  He was right there doing whatever he thought it took to bring a title to NY.  Where was Vivek when the Kings missed the playoffs for the umpteeth year?  He was right there doing whatever he thought it took to bring a title to Sacto.

Check with any poorly-run organization in sports and you'll find an owner who doesn't understand what it takes to build a champion sticking his panicking nose into things.

Has everything BudCox done worked out?  Clearly not, but the last thing we need is a meddling owner.

• Premium Member

What really gets me is that our guys have no dog in them in the playoffs. We just lay over and DIE right there in front of millions of people watching on television. We need some new guys in here that won't let that happen. This team played gritty defense all year and suddenly against Cleveland we just roll over like a damn puppy and expose our yellow belly. It disgusts me. I am so disgusted by this franchise.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, kg01 said:

When's the last time a panicking owner was a good thing?  Meddling owners don't build championships.  Did Micky Arison have to meddle when the Heat missed the playoffs last year?  Nope.  Did Joe Lacob have to step in to make the Warriors into a winner?  Nope.  Where was Peter Holt when the Spurs spectacularly melted vs. the Heat a few years ago?  He was sitting back and letting the guys in charge do their jobs.

Meanwhile where was Jim Dolan when the Knicks failed?  He was right there doing whatever he thought it took to bring a title to NY.  Where was Vivek when the Kings missed the playoffs for the umpteeth year?  He was right there doing whatever he thought it took to bring a title to Sacto.

Check with any poorly-run organization in sports and you'll find an owner who doesn't understand what it takes to build a champion sticking his panicking nose into things.

Has everything BudCox done worked out?  Clearly not, but the last thing we need is a meddling owner.

I agree with this to a point. But if the 'basketball guys' aren't doing what it takes to improve the team, ownership has to step in.  WLOC when we are consistently dominated in the Playoffs is unacceptable and a sure way to kill the fan base, or what's left of it.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
Just now, AHF said:

Lack of fight has been a big issue.  I expect a team to get pissy when you are trying to set records against them and whooping it up in a blowout.  We just look defeated.

That bothered me last season as well. They just took the beating and just moped off the court afterwards. Where's the fight? Where's the pride? Where's the on court leadership to rally everyone to step up?

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, hawkman said:

I agree with this to a point. But if the 'basketball guys' aren't doing what it takes to improve the team, ownership has to step in.  WLOC when we are consistently dominated in the Playoffs is unacceptable and a sure way to kill the fan base, or what's left of it.

Agreed.  In that case, all I want ownership to do is let management know the WLOC direction their taking is not acceptable.  I don't want to see anything in the media at all.  I presume they still hold those conference call type deals (the one that got Ferry in trouble)?  Just make it clear internally that they need to adjust their vision.  Nuff said at that point.

9 minutes ago, Sothron said:

What really gets me is that our guys have no dog in them in the playoffs. We just lay over and DIE right there in front of millions of people watching on television. We need some new guys in here that won't let that happen. This team played gritty defense all year and suddenly against Cleveland we just roll over like a damn puppy and expose our yellow belly. It disgusts me. I am so disgusted by this franchise.

Finally I'm bak to agree with Soth.  They've shown this lack of fight even going back to the Woodro years.  Remember all the national TV appearances that end in Hawk blowout laughers.  It's symptomatic of the same issue.

Look, I know we don't want to see guys injured, but somebody deserved a flagrant last night.  The lack of class they showed in winning last night should not have gone unpunished.  The fact that it did tells me all I need to know about the Hawks heart (of lack thereof).

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Sothron said:

We don't have any vocal leaders that can say "Not in our house" and actually mean it on the court.

Our guys say "not in my house!" then back down and do nothing and then after the game claim they weren't standing up to Cleveland but were talking to their interior decorator about paint choices.  "No, I never challenged him.  I was talking to someone else..."

• Like 2

All Cleveland players were taking \\\\\ and hitting the three point shot.

When your opponent hits eleven in a row, there is nothing good going to happen for you.

At the all star game in the three point shooting contest, the very best in the NBA attempt

to make shot after shot from the three ball distance.  How many of them hit eleven in a row?

Yet, every Cleveland was taking, and making, shot after shot.  eleven in a row.  Blame whichever

player you wish.  (It's all Korver's fault)  The cavs were hitting from all over the floor, not just

one spot and with every player taking, and hitting the three.  Hands in their face - - Player running

and jumping at them as they shot.  Double teamed.  Didn't matter.  They took the shot and it

went in, over and over, like a clock ticking, for eleven in a row.  That's 33 points just as fast as

you can run down the court.

If crying would help, I would cry for my Hawks.  That doesn't help a bit.  Is there any team on earth

who could beat this team when they are hitting all these sots from down town like they were?

No.  No.  No.  Impossible.

Could some team possibly stopped the shots?  Possibly, but highly unlikely.

I didn't like the Cavs before this year's playoffs.  I like them a lot less now.

GO HAWKS !!!

• Like 1

• Moderators

The thing is JR hit 3s with hands in his face and ridiculous off balance stuff, but everyone else hit WIDE OPEN threes.   They didn't just get a lucky streak on the 3s.   They schooled us on the offensive end that led to wide open threes.   And other than lebron, the guys hitting them will hit a high percentage of wide open threes.     That's why they have Love, Irving, Frye.  They're good shooters.

5 hours ago, AUhawksfan said:

You're like that chick that's dating an a**hole.  As much as you complain, you'll come back here to post.....you always do.

The Hawks have your heart, you're just a gushy sentimental guy behind all of these complaints because you care so much about this team and you don't want to expose yourself because you've been hurt in the past.  Awww Hots, I see it now!  This has been an eye opening experience for me.

Alright now, come on over here!  It's your turn for....

maxresdefault.jpg

I'm not sure this time

I hope the Cavs drive the stake in the Hawks heart tomorrow night.

Another blow out with the arena cheering for Cleveland would do it. Hopefully it happens.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kg01 said:

I agree pretty much.  However, it hurts that Kent is listed among our "best" players (I figure you put it in quotes for a reason).  He should be (just the 1st comparison that comes to mind) like Terrence Ross is for TOR.  Come in off the bench, if you're hot you stay, if not sitcho a** down and it won't hurt us.

As it is, we're asking him to be a top-line starter.  That's just .... that just ain't right.

Oh and, back on point, Kyle's getting waay too much blame.  If he's that important, there are bigger problems afoot.  Sadly, we saw this last year too.  Budz ... w-what gives?  Wilcox?

This offseason should be turbulent or it'll be proof they're asleep at the wheel.  I need to see some personal pride from them because, as is, this could be seen as a successful season by ownership.  They got what 5 extra home game$$, team made a 2nd round playoff run.  They could throw out the ol', "Hey, we ran into a tough team.  LeighBron was this or that, blah, blah, blah ..."

Nah, F that.  This season wasn't good enough.  This team is not good enough.  Enough of all the cerebral, "Skill Factory" nonsense.  We lack toughness.  We lack grit.  We lack fight.  I like that we're professionals out there but at some point somebody's gotta get tired of getting whipped by not only this team but the other real contenders that don't just rest on, "oh well, we had a good record".

GS isn't worried about us.  SAS laughs at us, literally.  We've beaten OKC and LAC but they don't bat an eye at us.  Freaking TOR isn't scared of us and they're scared of everybody including their own shadows!

@kg01 Let me clarify - Baze is a starter, our 'BEST players are Jeff, Paul and Al.  I didn't mention in number of shot just cause you know...obvious.

3 hours ago, Spud2Nique said:

The Hawks got punked. No doubt about it. My only question is how do you defend a JRSmith 30 footer fadeaway off one foot? The guy didn't look at the basket one time. Lol. 

You stick a foot under or run into him hard and take the foul.  do something ANYTHING.

• Moderators
40 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

You stick a foot under or run into him hard and take the foul.  do something ANYTHING.

Ideally hit him before he gets the ball to make him start thinking and avoid the shooting foul.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Remember when Giannis knocked Dunleavy into the 3rd row at the end of their series last year?  Yeah, do that.

ETA: Oh then you stoop down, put a finger in Lue's chest and say, "Get your starters out, little man".

Edited by kg01

4 hours ago, AHF said:

Lack of fight has been a big issue.  I expect a team to get pissy when you are trying to set records against them and whooping it up in a blowout.  We just look defeated.

We do nothing about it and then complain about it to the media:  http://deadspin.com/the-atlanta-hawks-are-being-whiny-babies-1774915709

That's about as "pissy" as we get....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

This just in...don't play bball one on one with Bruce Bowen or @JayBirdHawk...

6 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

This just in...don't play bball one on one with Bruce Bowen or @JayBirdHawk...

I    Truth, you may be a better player with more skill than me, but I ain no punk - ain no backing  down. When i play games and losing  I tend to chea.......well I  try to get an advantage and hope I dont  get caught. I'm  not wimping out :biggrin:

2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I    Truth, you may be a better player with more skill than me, but I ain no punk - ain no backing  down. When i play games and losing  I tend to chea.......well I  try to get an advantage and hope I dont  get caught. I'm  not wimping out :biggrin:

Didn't you know that@JayBirdHawk taught Ivan everything he knows? When he got banned from China, she cried like a proud mother.

200w.gif

Edited by Mdizzle5

The only way to escape the embarrassment of being an Atlanta sports fan is to take solace in the fact that i do not live in this city.  It is kinda nice to live 100 miles away in the mountains when your teams always lay their obligatory eggs in the postseason.